Shawn Robbins

Weekend Discussion: IM3 @ 175.3m wknd est

GU2 will be one of the bigger comedies this summer.

And no one, I mean no one has seen it coming. Only 20 people have this in their top 15 in the BSG and it's pretty much locked to get in there. Oh well easy points for me :)
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised if this gets there's. Its growing so friggen fast I don't know where to read.

If the Saturday number is amazing, this place will explode again.

That's... a lot, though. Granted, I guess it depends on expectations. We usually don't get more than 2 big comedy runs though. 3 if we're really lucky.

2012: Ted

2011: Bridesmaids, Hangover 2, Horrible Bosses

2010: Grown Ups

2009: Hangover, Proposal

2008: ummm, Sex and the City???

2007: Knocked Up, Superbad

2006: The Break-Up

And so on.

I guess comedy is a harder sell than I thought. Just makes you think that at least of one of the "bigger" comedies might disappoint just looking at the past trends.

Edited by blackspider

I guess comedy is a harder sell than I thought. We are due for an extra comedy hit since we had no pre-summer hit like 21 Jump Street. Just makes you think that at least of one of the "bigger" comedies might disappoint just looking at the past trends.

Identity Thief made just 5M less than 21 Jump Street.

It's not direct competition that worries. It's an oversaturation of comedies--not to mention Sandler's rapidly declining audience since the first movie. I think it would be a huge win to just make $100m again. But that family crowd is hard to predict sometimes.

An over saturation of comedies that won't make much actually helps the movie. Hangover 3 will disappoint to around 175m and it's run will be done by the 3rd or 4th weekend, The internship will bomb under 50m total, this is the end has more hope, but is 5 weeks before Grown Ups 2 and The Heat and Grown Ups 2 can co exist fine. Oh and should I mention both of those films are rated R, there's nothing for the PG13 crowd this summer for comedies and that's a HUGE chunk of movie goers.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Oh my god how could I forget that one. I guess my very infrequent posting has diminished my BO knowledge. :blush:

Hah, nevah. It happens to the best of us. :)

• Founder / Operator

An over saturation of comedies that won't make much actually helps the movie. Hangover 3 will disappoint to around 175m and it's run will be done by the 3rd or 4th weekend, The internship will bomb under 50m total, this is the end has more hope, but is 5 weeks before Grown Ups 2 and The Heat and Grown Ups 2 can co exist fine. Oh and should I mention both of those films are rated R, there's nothing for the PG13 crowd this summer for comedies and that's a HUGE chunk of movie goers.

I don't know, buddy. We'll see... I think it's going to take some serious disappointments from comedies in May and June to make GU2 that big of a hit again. GU cornered the comedy market in 2010, and if DM2 explodes, that's more of the family audience GU could lose.

Edited by ShawnMR

Hah, nevah. It happens to the best of us. :)

I might have forgot about Identity Thief because I didn't think it was much of a comedy. I was expecting a lot more from a Gordon/Bateman/McCarthy team up.

Edited by blackspider
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

I might have forgot about Identity Thief because I didn't think it was much of a comedy. I was expecting a lot more from a Gordon/Bateman/McCarthy team up.

Identity Thief wasn't really as memorable as 21 Jump Street was, though.

Completely agreed with both. I was really disappointed with it. HUGE fan of Horrible Bosses, though. Same for 21JS.

• Like 1

I don't know, buddy. We'll see... I think it's going to take some serious disappointments from comedies in May and June to make GU2 that big of a hit again. GU cornered the comedy market in 2010, and if DM2 explodes, that's more of the family audience GU could lose.

I think it's that time of the year for me to make a ballsy club.
  • Like 2

I might have forgot about Identity Thief because I didn't think it was much of a comedy. I was expecting a lot more from a Gordon/Bateman/McCathy team up.

21 Jump Street had a pairing so oddball that it was incredibly appealing, plus it introduced Tatum as a comedic lead.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

True that. 21 Jump Street was the best comedy of 2012 IMO.

This. I liked Ted a lot, but 21JS holds up more over repeat viewings (personally speaking). I gained a whole new respect for Tatum in that movie. I dare say I'm a fan at this point.  <_<

• Like 3