Automatically embedding has been temporarily turned off until the Twitter bug has been fixed. This will only affect new posts made. Once the issue has been fixed, automatic embedding will return. It is possible to manually embed content I believe. If you quote a post with an embedded tweet, please delete the tweet.

Welcome to The Box Office Theory — Forums

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

135 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

I suppose if we're predicting, then...

PTA flick

Get Out

Suburbicon

Call Me by Your Name

Darkest Hour

Dunkirk

Blade Runner 2049

Detroit

Mother!
The Current War

My rotating list of replacements if one of these turns to be a flop critically (aka the not-quite rejects): Goodbye Christopher Robin, Thank You for Your Service, Battle of the Sexes, Downsizing, Mountain Between us, Marshall, Greatest Showman, Mary Magdalene, Snowman, Granite Mountain, American Made, Victoria and Abdul, Stronger, Wind River, Logan, The Big Sick, A Ghost Story, The Beguiled, Baby Driver, Colossal, Their Finest, Lost City of Z, Mudbound, Wonderstuck, Logan Lucky

No Post?

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

No Post?

Oh yeah that too, probably gonna remove Darkest Hour in favor of that.

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Oh yeah that too, probably gonna remove Darkest Hour in favor of that.

I'd swap The Current War with The Post on your list; Darkest Hour is a much stronger contender. 

weinstein did give his favourite oscar release date to Mary Magdalene instead of the current war. Mary seems like a shitstorm waiting to happen in thinkpieces but it's something to consider. also fox searchlight gave the mid october date they like so much for their top contenders to Three Billboards.

1 person likes this

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

I'd swap The Current War with The Post on your list; Darkest Hour is a much stronger contender. 

Darkest Hour just seems like something that'll get lost instead of actually pulling through.  there tends to be at least one Weinstein Oscar-nomination (I think 2015 was the only exception, and that was the year Carol was snubbed), so I'll predict Current War to fill that void.

I feel like Goodbye Christopher Robin shouldn't be underestimated for a nomination even if it gets solid reviews. Movie sounds tailor-made to appeal to the Imitation Game/Theory of Everything set.

Other predicts for the main categories in addition to my BP ones:

Director:

1. Kathryn Bigelow, Detriot

2. Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk

3. Todd Haynes, Wonderstruck

4. Darren Aronofsky, mother!

5. Steven Spielberg, The Post

Actor:

1. Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

2. Tom Hanks, The Post

3. Daniel Day Lewis, Untitled PTA

4. Hugh Jackman, The Greatest Showman

5. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Current War 

Actress:

1. Meryl Streep, The Post

2. Jennifer Lawrence, mother!

3. Frances McDormand, Three Billboards

4. Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game

5. Rooney Mara, Mary Magdalene

Supporting Actor:

1. Steve Buscemi, Lean on Pete

2. Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name

3. Javier Bardem, mother!

4. Ben Mendelsohn, Darkest Hour

5. Woody Harrelson, The Glass Castle

Supporting Actress:

1. Michelle Pfeiffer, mother!

2. Julianne Moore, Wonderstruck

3. Kristin Scott Thomas, Darkest Hour

4. Michelle Williams, The Greatest Showman

5. Naomi Watts, The Glass Castle

Original Screenplay:

1. The Post

2. Detroit

3. Darkest Hour

4. Get Out

5. mother!

Adapted Screenplay:

1. Wonderstruck

2. Molly's Game

3. Call Me By Your Name

4. The Glass Castle

5. Lean on Pete

^the main thing i get from that is that you're predicting another hashtag shitstorm.

1 person likes this

Oldman and Pfeiffer winning, and Buscemi, Stuhlbarg, Mendelsohn and Todd Haynes all getting nominated for the first time would be some overdue-recognition overload that I definitely wouldn't mind to see happen. 

Molly's Game is one I'm fascinated with. I would love it if Sorkin made a kickass movie with a great starring role for Chastain and denied all (well, probably not all but most) the thinkpiece-ready writers the satisfaction of raking him over the coals. At the same time I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it's a flavorless bore or even a mild disaster where he gives in to his bad tendencies. 

Also from the trailer alone (and McDonagh's pedigree) Three Billboards looks like the kind of movie made for an original screenplay nom. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

6 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

Oldman and Pfeiffer winning, and Buscemi, Stuhlbarg, Mendelsohn and Todd Haynes all getting nominated for the first time would be some overdue-recognition overload that I definitely wouldn't mind to see happen. 

Molly's Game is one I'm fascinated with. I would love it if Sorkin made a kickass movie with a great starring role for Chastain and denied all (well, probably not all but most) the thinkpiece-ready writers the satisfaction of raking him over the coals. At the same time I certainly wouldn't be shocked if it's a flavorless bore or even a mild disaster where he gives in to his bad tendencies. 

According to those that read the screenplay, the biggest issue with Molly's Game is that it's waaaaaaaay too long; otherwise it's good. Adapted Screenplay is looking very weak, so I'd expect it to get in for now.

Edited by WrathOfHan
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

According to those that read the screenplay, the biggest issue with Molly's Game is that it's waaaaaaaay too long; otherwise it's good. Adapted Screenplay is looking very weak, so I'd expect it to get in for now.

Hopefully he either cut chunks out or pulled a Fincher and had the actors speak the dialogue crazy fast, then had the editors remove every second that's not necessary

Edited by Jake Gittes

9 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hopefully he either cut chunks out or pulled a Fincher and had the actors speak the dialogue crazy fast, then had the editors remove every second that's not necessary

who knows how that's going considering sorkin apparently just fired the editor on the picture. definitely on wait and see mode for this picture.

1 person likes this

I'm generally a Sorkin fan (The Newsroom aside) so I have high hopes for Molly's Game. Won't be surprised if he misfires on his directorial debut either though.

Sorkin sometime after he was fired from West Wing stepped over the sanctimonious asshole line and never looked back. I'm a huge fan of his early work (Sports Night, West Wing) and I don't exactly hate Studio 60 or Newsroom but boy, they were so dissapointing and overbearing in so many ways. I think it's no accident that the 2 best projects he is being involved in the last decade+(Social Network, Moneyball) were not "his" movies.

2 people like this