Impact

Best Picture predictions-2017!

Per users on Awards Watch and to the absolute surprise of no one, I Tonya is a mess and Margot Robbie is miscast. HOWEVER, Allison Janney is getting great reception and could be a big contender for Supporting Actress.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Per users on Awards Watch and to the absolute surprise of no one, I Tonya is a mess and Margot Robbie is miscast. HOWEVER, Allison Janney is getting great reception and could be a big contender for Supporting Actress.

Isn't that meant to be out in 2018? I haven't seen anything that says it'll get a release this year, but a few places are listing it as 2018.

Just now, aabattery said:

Isn't that meant to be out in 2018? I haven't seen anything that says it'll get a release this year, but a few places are listing it as 2018.

It could potentially be ready this year, but nothing is guaranteed.

Now that we're post-Cannes:

1. Detroit

2. The Post

3. Suburbicon

4. Darkest Hour

5. Call Me By Your Name

6. Dunkirk

7. Mudbound

8. Get Out

9. Mother!

10. The Disaster Artist

I don't think Inner City will come out this year, but if it does, then I'll add it in there somewhere.

Get Out has a better shot after a lot of notable mixed receptions. Not a clear one, but a better one.

On 5/21/2017 at 8:51 AM, filmlover said:

By the way they showed some of Mary Magdalene in a sizzle reel at Cannes and it sounds like a mess.

http://theplaylist.net/first-3-days-inarritu-goes-vr-focus-features-tease-cannes-report-20170520/

I was rooting for this...

On 5/26/2017 at 7:26 PM, WrathOfHan said:

I was rooting for this one, too...

On 5/26/2017 at 7:31 PM, WrathOfHan said:

It's also looking like Willem Dafoe could be the Supporting Actor frontrunner right now based on The Florida Project's reception.

This is a really good thing. Child poverty is a real thing and a great film that highlights such a problem should get as much recognition as possible.

I think I'll make another prediction list, myself, from most likely to least likely.

1. Dunkirk

2. Call Me By Your Name

3. The Disaster Artist

4. Mother!

5. The Glass Castle

6. Get Out

7. Suburbicon

8. Detroit

9. Good Time

10. (I'll end with an out of left field fantasy choice...) The Shape of Water

Honorable Mention films that didn't quite make my prediction list include:

The Florida Project

The Killing of a Sacred Deer

Murder on the Orient Express

The Darkest Hour

The Post

Wonder

Wonderstruck

Coco (someday, there's going to be another Up or Toy Story 3... someday...)

Logan

Wind River

Mary Magdalene

The Snowman

Same Kind of Different as Me

Downsizing

I think that's all I'll mention for now.

Edit: Just noticed that there were a lot of big contenders that I completely forgot about but I guess it's fine...

*sniffle*

Edited by slambros

Nothing from Cannes really jumped out as a BP contender except maybe Florida Project, but that might struggle to get any real traction. Phoenix and Pattinson are legit contenders though, as is Dafoe. Maybeeee Beguiled turns into something if it becomes a big populist surprise hit and sweeps in Coopola and Dunst/Kidman.

I've said it since it came out and I'll say it again: I think Get Out gets a BP nom. I could see it contending for a win.

22 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Nothing from Cannes really jumped out as a BP contender except maybe Florida Project, but that might struggle to get any real traction. Phoenix and Pattinson are legit contenders though, as is Dafoe. Maybeeee Beguiled turns into something if it becomes a big populist surprise hit and sweeps in Coopola and Dunst/Kidman.

I've said it since it came out and I'll say it again: I think Get Out gets a BP nom. I could see it contending for a win.

If The Beguiled ends up really catching on at the box office and with critics when it opens next month I could totally see it landing a Supporting Actress nom for either Kidman or Dunst (since Farrell will be the one who goes lead). Category currently looks very barren.

I don't understand why people include the Disaster Artist in their predictions. Is there some kind of early buzz or sth?

How is it different than the other 100 James "Serious Artist" Franco projects?

12 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I don't understand why people include the Disaster Artist in their predictions. Is there some kind of early buzz or sth?

How is it different than the other 100 James "Serious Artist" Franco projects?

Buzzing reviews, December Release, A24

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

If The Beguiled ends up really catching on at the box office and with critics when it opens next month I could totally see it landing a Supporting Actress nom for either Kidman or Dunst (since Farrell will be the one who goes lead). Category currently looks very barren.

Kidman has a showier role in Killing of a Sacred Deer, but that's looking to be a bit too niche (and it's horror to boot).

• Like 1

I think Get Out has a shot in spite of its February release date. The Grand Budapest Hotel had a February release three years ago and it managed to ride it's early release all the way to a best picture nom. Of course, that was a different type of film by all means, but I think all of the newer, recently added Academy members might be willing to be open minded.

9 hours ago, slambros said:

I think Get Out has a shot in spite of its February release date. The Grand Budapest Hotel had a February release three years ago and it managed to ride it's early release all the way to a best picture nom. Of course, that was a different type of film by all means, but I think all of the newer, recently added Academy members might be willing to be open minded.

The Grand Budapest Hotel opened in March.

17 hours ago, Negative Panda Covfefe said:

If it helps, Silence of the Lambs was also a February release, and it has a lot of similarities to Get Out.

1991 was a few years ago

Edited by Ethan Hunt
  • Like 1