chasmmi

Chasmmi's Top 90 films of 2016 - It is finally here!!! The world is going wild.

Spoiler

20th - The Magnificent Seven - 94/100

This was another pleasant surprise I got to see a couple of weeks ago.

I was hoping for this to be an enjoyable enough romp that passed the time nicely. However what I got was a really great group of characters will great chemistry, coming together to tell a story that ran smoothly from start to finish.

This film had good dialogue, good action, a great finale, and a large cast in which nobody felt wasted or underutilised. It's a nice example of how fresh a film can be when it doesn't have a sequel / franchise to worry about. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

19th - Central Intelligence - 94/100

I could watch Rock and Hart every year (and it looks like that may be on the cards)

Gotta love the Rock, everything he touches is at worst entertaining and this team up with Kevin Hart really brought out the best in both actors. It's so much fun watching this film and it probably serves as better promotion for Jumanji than anything promo material that film may put out. 

I'll also add that I don't there is an actor out there that I am as happy to support their career as the Rock. He is ridiculously hardworking, has transitioned from a career in something that traditionally led to acting careers dying a death and well, as long as I can look forward to stuff as fun as this twice a year, I'm never going to complain. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

18th - Bridget Jones' Baby - 95/100

If there was any film that I was not expecting to be laugh out loud hilarious, it was this one. 

Seriously, how was this film so funny? It's a delayed third installment of a decent outlived franchise, yet somehow they managed to make the pregnancy schtik funny and all three main leads were excellent in their roles. 

If you are into the type of British comedy that you would expect from a film like this then it is absolutely recommendable, with the highlight being the rush to the hospital  near the end. I'm as surprised as anyone that this ended up so high. 

• Like 3

Spoiler

17th - Sing - 96/100

You already know I unapologetically overate animation. Here is more evidence of that. 

Unlike Dreamworks, Illumination knows how to nail a trailer. Even if Minions was only fine and SLOP was... I don't know what that was, the trailers for both were brilliant and I think the Sing trailers were also pretty darn good. 

This may be a musical of other people's songs, but I thought that everyone in the cast really brought it both with their voicework and their singing (is there anything Egerton can't do?). The story was a lot more fleshed out than I expected and the final concert was a really entertaining crowd pleasing watch. 

• Like 2

Spoiler

16th - Hacksaw Ridge - 96/100

This quite possibly had the best war action scenes since Private Ryan.

To quote South park:

It's tragic that the guy made himself into Box Office Poison for so long, as the guy is one of the most talented people out there. This film was a tour de force on so many levels, the acting was superb, the action was stunning, and the film did an amazing job of balancing the two ideologies present in the film. 

The way this film managed to glorify pacifism and also make war out to be a necessary evil carried out by heroes willing to sacrifice their lives to defeat evil. It is truly a revelation of a film that only ends up as low as this because it just didn't quite entertain me as much as it impressed me.   

• Like 3

Spoiler

15th - Lion - 96/100

Maybe the best final 15 minutes of any film last year, 

This film has a great opening 40 minutes, a stupendous final 15 minutes (so good that if it were breasts, it would be cast in a God's of Egypt sequel), and the hour in the middle is still strong. 

The cast is all really really great, you feel for this boy who has lost his family and his struggle to find it again. It's such a feel good film, that also has moments that both punch you in the gut, and make you love the world and humanity all at once. This is the sort of film that gets Oscar friendly drama right. 

Great Film

• Like 4

Spoiler

14th - Edge of Seventeen - 96/100

It was criminal that this didn't make more money.

Such an entertaining film. This really sold me on the main character and their screwed up way of dealing with stuff going wrong in her life. It's easy to relate to a character that thinks their life is a special kind of nightmare just because it is her life.

There was not a second when I was not riveted by this film and Woody Harrelson is also terrific in this. This is how a coming of age comedy should be done and kudos to everyone involved.

• Like 6

Spoiler

13th - Sing Street - 96/100

Musicals really had a strong year in 2016.  

Begin Again was a top 10 film for me a couple of years back and so I was ready for a new musical from the same director, and it almost ranked as high as his previous work. First off, the songs in this are brilliant and the evolution and connections to contemporary music of the time is masterfully done. I really do wish this had got a song nod at the Oscars, even though that category was super strong this year. 

The thing that dragged this out of the top 10 was that (with the exception of the older brother), the acting was a little too on the raw/amateurish side for me, for this to be a perfect film. It didn't ruin the film at all, it just was the difference potentially between 13th and maybe 7th or 8th. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

12th - Eddie the Eagle - 97/100

Perhaps the most underated film of last year.

Eddie the Eagle is a great story that is easy to try and turn into something that can be ridiculed for comedy effect. Thankfully, this film did not do that. It showed deserving respect to a man that achieved something quite remarkable in the world of sport. 

To take up such a dangerous event at such a late age, when most professionals are trained from when their aged in the single digits, was a mad undertaking. Doing it while underfunded and suffering sight issues, this should have been the story of the crazy deaf of a mad Englishman. Instead what we got was Egerton blowing me away with a performance that nailed everything about this story and the guts that Edwards had to accomplish what he did. Jackman is also great in this.

If you didn't see this (which is likely), go watch it. It is fantastic and my number two biopic of the year. 

• Like 5

Spoiler

11th - Miss Peregrine's School for Peculiar Children - 97/100

Burton finally made something good again.

I was all in on this film from the first trailer. TIm Burton's XMen was something I was ready to see, and I really feel that he nailed this. The 'peculiar' kids are all realised in such a great way, with each getting a moment to shine. Eva Green too is utter class in the peregrine role and I hope upon hope that this managed to scrape enough together worldwide to risk a second installment. 

This was a magical film for me that gave me everything I was hoping for from the trailers in a world I hope to one day see again. Was really hoping it would make my top 10, but it just missed out. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, chasmmi said:
  Hide contents

12th - Eddie the Eagle - 97/100

Perhaps the most underated film of last year.

Eddie the Eagle is a great story that is easy to try and turn into something that can be ridiculed for comedy effect. Thankfully, this film did not do that. It showed deserving respect to a man that achieved something quite remarkable in the world of sport. 

To take up such a dangerous event at such a late age, when most professionals are trained from when their aged in the single digits, was a mad undertaking. Doing it while underfunded and suffering sight issues, this should have been the story of the crazy deaf of a mad Englishman. Instead what we got was Egerton blowing me away with a performance that nailed everything about this story and the guts that Edwards had to accomplish what he did. Jackman is also great in this.

If you didn't see this (which is likely), go watch it. It is fantastic and my number two biopic of the year. 

Yes! I don't know a single person over here that saw it and didn't enjoy it. Shane it didn't make more 

• Like 1

Spoiler

10th - Zootopia - 97/100

I remember back when that opening white background teaser had people announcing this to be Disney's first post-Tangled flop.

So, yeah this was pretty great, and it handled topics you wouldn't expect Disney to be handling and in a really clever and interesting way. The press conference scene is so well written and the voice work from most of the cast is pretty damn wonderful. 

This is a really strong animated film in a year that was crazy strong for animation (especially in my eyes). Disney has of course been on a roll for 5 years or so now and I think it says something that as good as I think this film was, i would say that Since Tangled, there are 3 (maybe 4) films that have been better.

• Like 4

Spoiler

9th - Pete's Dragon - 98/100

I critcised BFG for being pretty light on story and plot. This film is a boy and their dragon pretty much doing eff all for 2 hours and it is glorious.

Of course stuff does happen, but overall this is the quintessential blueprint for a classic family film. There are nice characters, little adventures that move everything along and a giant green furry flying Labrador... I mean dragon that steals the movie. 

This was such a criminally underwatched film, its the second frontrunner along with Eddie the Eagle for most underrated film of the year, because it deserved to make 150-200M at least. They took a nostalgic, but very flawed Disney classic and turned it into something that i could watch any day of the week. Howard is great, Redford is perfect, the kids are excellent (can anyone remember what year it was when children suddenly became able to act), and the dragon is one of the best CGI characters in years.

A lovely film that will make @Water Bottle happy to see this high on a list.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, chasmmi said:
  Hide contents

10th - Zootopia - 97/100

I remember back when that opening white background teaser had people announcing this to be Disney's first post-Tangled flop.

So, yeah this was pretty great, and it handled topics you wouldn't expect Disney to be handling and in a really clever and interesting way. The press conference scene is so well written and the voice work from most of the cast is pretty damn wonderful. 

This is a really strong animated film in a year that was crazy strong for animation (especially in my eyes). Disney has of course been on a roll for 5 years or so now and I think it says something that as good as I think this film was, i would say that Since Tangled, there are 3 (maybe 4) films that have been better.

I thought you gave it a B when you originally saw it. Did it appreciate in your mind or something?

Spoiler

8th - Captain America: Civil War - 98/100

So that's three films into the top 10 and everything is Disney :) 

I am one of those people who is far from tired of the Marvel Universe. I haven't been disappointed by a film since The First Avenger and Ragnarok and GOTG are two of my most anticipated films of this year. 

Civil War was everything I wanted it to be. The action was great, Spiderman and Antman stole the show, and the story worked for me too also. I even think the villain can be considered one of the strongest in the MCU so far, in the way be calculates how an ordinary guy can plot to destroy the all powerful Avengers. 

I'm pretty sure nobody is changing their minds on this film at this point, so I will leave things there.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

I thought you gave it a B when you originally saw it. Did it appreciate in your mind or something?

No I always liked it, I think I just joked that it was technically my worst of the year at the time of watching because the only film (or films) I had seen from 2016 at that point were/was better :)

I place it on a level with Frozen, but below Big Hero and Wreck it Ralph 

• Like 1