Eric Duncan

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

All 12 people who give a shit about Passengers in the world reside on this forum. Literally nobody else cares about that disappointment of a film lol. 

The numbers do look fudged, though, and I'm no conspiracy theorist but that looks like some straight up bullshit.

15 hours ago, JonathanLB said:

All 12 people who give a shit about Passengers in the world reside on this forum. Literally nobody else cares about that disappointment of a film lol. 

The numbers do look fudged, though, and I'm no conspiracy theorist but that looks like some straight up bullshit.

I'm with @Barnack on this one.  Why would they do all the mechanisms they did to get the numbers if they were just going to fake them? I agree it was weird and that Sony put effort into passing the milestone, but I don't think that one Saturday jump was so unexplainable when it went up to 500+ theaters for that single day.  Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but doesn't Wanda own AMC?  And Wanda and Sony had some sort of participation deal going on Passengers.  I can see AMCs giving the movie an extra boost in showings to get it over the top.

But none of us are going to know what happened, since we don't work at Sony.   That was my ultimate point.

• Like 1

Even if you take the pre-fudged numbers, since when is 99.5 dom, 199.5 os and 299 ww considered bad on a 110 budget? Irrespective of what expectations someone might have, the film is a success. Shave off a few million more and it's still a success.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, narniadis said:

Just watched it the other night and I am pressed as to why it inspired so much passion either direction. 

It's not the movie itself, but rather Pratt and JLaw's, especially JLaw's, very vocal fanbase. They wanted another $100m grossing movie very badly that they could tally for those two. And then the other side that is growing tired of both of them wanted to see them in a "flop." And then there's a third side that's just OCD with numbers. That's all it boils down too.

• Like 1