Eric the Ape

Weekend Box Office: Friday #s (DHD Pg 9) BB 6.78M, BATB 6.55M, Smurfs 4M, Going in Style 4.2M, GITS 2.1M, PR 1.6M, Kong 1.5M

22 hours ago, a2knet said:

Tiny cutsie innocent eye-pleasing-blue creatures who inhabit natural greenery - Irrrrestiable. Cho Chweet.

ec6293f35a17ac868219c253e071066f.jpg

e3d1106b829bb97c751283335a276c8a.jpg

Guccie Guccie Goo. :wub:

Is the smurf in that second picture standing in a toilet?  Because that would be refreshingly appropriate.

2 hours ago, Finnick said:

PASSENGERS MADE IT PAST 100M $, AM REALLY HAPPY RIGHT NOW @trifle !!!! :ohmygod::ohmygod::ohmygod:

40 (41) Passengers Sony Pictures $37,097 -20% 32 $1,159   $100,005,122 110

ba-blue-red-fireworks-colorful-pretty-gi

Finally!

@Alli's club was vindicated in spirit by the time it took, but to my mind this movie was assassinated by RT critics, and the industry needs to concern itself with that trend.  This is hardly the first film that has happened to.

In any event, after the fact, all that will matter to most people is it IS over $100M and $300M world wide.

• Like 2

Just now, trifle said:

Is the smurf in that second picture standing in a toilet?  Because that would be refreshingly appropriate.

ba-blue-red-fireworks-colorful-pretty-gi

Finally!

@Alli's club was vindicated in spirit by the time it took, but to my mind this movie was assassinated by RT critics, and the industry needs to concern itself with that trend.  This is hardly the first film that has happened to.

In any event, after the fact, all that will matter to most people is it IS over $100M and $300M world wide.

Tsk tsk,  you should be grateful to The Smurfs because without Sony swiping their sneak peak preview $$ and giving it to Passengers it never would have passed $100m.

Mar 24–26    16   $397,472    +581%   506   +416   $786    $99,886,692 14

6 minutes ago, trifle said:

Sadly, it is appropriate. But as Lost Village's prod budget was only 60, I hope against hope that it does 3.78x (13.2 ow) so it can touch 50 dom, and that the OS is as leggy, and that the merchandising revenue is strong enough to warrant a sequel which is an improvement over the current one, just like the current one at least seems better received that the live-actions one.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Sadly, it is appropriate. But as Lost Village's prod budget was only 60, I hope against hope that it does 3.78x (13.2 ow) so it can touch 50 dom, and that the OS is as leggy, and that the merchandising revenue is strong enough to warrant a sequel which is an improvement over the current one, just like the current one at least seems better received that the live-actions one.

Sony might be desperate enough to do another one.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Tsk tsk,  you should be grateful to The Smurfs because without Sony swiping their sneak peak preview $$ and giving it to Passengers it never would have passed $100m.

Mar 24–26    16   $397,472    +581%   506   +416   $786    $99,886,692 14

You assume that is what happened.

16 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It's what happened.  They had the previews the same one day that Passengers expanded for just one day.  Come now.

It could have been used as bait, not switched, and they could have had the theaters that day only.  But from the current BO for Smurfs I doubt they did what you suggest. People who are committed to that theme will believe it though, I am sure.

1 minute ago, trifle said:

It could have been used as bait, not switched, and they could have had the theaters that day only.  But from the current BO for Smurfs I doubt they did what you suggest. People who are committed to that theme will believe it though, I am sure.

Dude, it's pretty clear that it got fudged by Sony. This is a common practice by studios and especially Sony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trifle said:

It's PTA that Saturday was about twice as high as it had been in a month of Saturdays and not as high as it had been in 9 weeks and it only played one show.  A show that played right along with the Smurf sneak peak. 

I'm not the one overly committed to a certain narrative.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, trifle said:

You act like Sony has never done this before. They have, and they're not the only studio to do it.

Edited by cookie

I know it is common practice for people to say a studio trafficked numbers, but I wonder how much that is true, would they not need to convince the people from the different movie they are steeling from to agree, comscore, the third party accounting firm that look at all studio revenues on a movie (because people with bonus do not trust them), etc...

For example if you google Passenger suspicious big weekend:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=drive+in+movie+theater&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA733CA734&biw=1680&bih=785&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A3%2F23%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A3%2F27%2F2017&tbm=#tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:3/23/2017,cd_max:3/27/2017&q=drive+in+movie+theater+facebook+Passenger+movie

Passengers played in double feature of some big movie like Beauty and the beast in some drive-in, played with Life in some other drive-in, got a release in some specialty cinema, got re-release in Canada, why go to all that trouble if you can just fudge it ?

And why international TV content buyer paying more for those movie reaching those pre-accepted box office landmark would accept something people totally from the outside can see and not them ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

Good grief folks, I don't get the hate at Passengers crossing a rather insignificant to us milestone. As for the smurfs preview on Saturday thing, that is normal. Films that run previews in the weekends before release do not get the gross since it generally took a show time from a film the studio already had in play. Used to happen a lot now it's not as frequent (at least where we can see the numbers swing). 

Sony hasnt dont anything out of the ordinary so stop bitching. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

I know it is common practice for people to say a studio trafficked numbers, but I wonder how much that is true, would they not need the people from the different movie to agree, comscore, etc...

For example if you google Passenger suspicious big weekend:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=drive+in+movie+theater&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA733CA734&biw=1680&bih=785&source=lnt&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A3%2F23%2F2017%2Ccd_max%3A3%2F27%2F2017&tbm=#tbs=cdr:1,cd_min:3/23/2017,cd_max:3/27/2017&q=drive+in+movie+theater+facebook+Passenger+movie

Passengers played in double feature of some big movie like Beauty and the beast in some drive-in, played with Life in some other drive-in, got a release in some specialty cinema, got re-release in Canada, why go to all that trouble if you can just fudge it ?

And why international TV content buyer paying more for those movie reaching those pre-accepted box office landmark would accept something people totally from the outside can see and not them ?

People have traffic that notion for years and it doesn't matter how many times we have actual insiders tell us it isn't true (The fudging that is) a new group gets it in their craw over a current film of the moment. Blame Puerto Rico for that I guess but still... it gets highly annoying as an old timer to see the same shit griped about year after year. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Just watched it the other night and I am pressed as to why it inspired so much passion either direction. 

7 minutes ago, narniadis said:

People have traffic that notion for years and it doesn't matter how many times we have actual insiders tell us it isn't true (The fudging that is) a new group gets it in their craw over a current film of the moment. Blame Puerto Rico for that I guess but still... it gets highly annoying as an old timer to see the same shit griped about year after year. 

This has nothing to do with the film.  It has to do with run.  Just like it had to do with Spectre's run. 

It's about numbers and patterns and what studios do to try and reach milestones.  Nothing more.

Studios don't have to make up numbers (though Paramount did for Transformers 4 o/w) when they can do free movies with a ticket, give theaters a lopsided split to get expansion, do double features, and play with sneak peak money.  None of that is new with this film.