A Marvel Fanboy

WORLD WAR Z: $WORLD WAR Z: $335M Overseas Total / $535.9M Global Total

It will really need stunning legs for anything closer to $400m OS...40% drops continuously in OS ain't easy...$350m is more likely

It'll make 400.  500 is the question.

Tibet is one of the most sensitive issues in China.

It can't be released in China.

What does Tibet have to do with it?  The movie pretty much ignores the existence of China.

The theory is that Brad Pitt movies are banned in China because of Seven Years in Tibet. That doesn't hold much water, since Mr. and Mrs. Smith got a release and the director of Seven Years is in China at this very moment filming a co-production with China's biggest state-run studio. As sensitive as Tibet may be, it doesn't seem to be much of deal-breaker where films are concerned; to give another example, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus got a Chinese release even though it featured a brief appearance by the Dalai Lama (which was naturally cut from the Chinese version).

The original novel is a different question, but it seems odd they would be so upset about that--an element not present in any version of the film--while allowing G.I. Joe 2 to get away with showing the president of China as a bumbling coward complicit in an end-of-the-world scenario, just so long as it was cut from the Chinese version.

• Like 1

Yes, holy shit if you show China in a remotely negative way.  South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut should have been banned in Canada then.

WWZ not having a release date (yet) has nothing to do with the content of the movie or the book IMO. It is more because of the protectionism for the Chinese film maket and how CFC scheduling foreign releases.

Bob explained it well. Why China would even ban WWZ, I mean even novels like 1984 are never banned here ? It just doesnot make any sense. Even V for Vendetta was broadcasted earlier this year on the state-owned biggest TV chanel CCTV.

No release date too for EPIC, DM2, MU2, Lone Ranger ... Smurfs2, Turbo ...  and a lot other big Hollywood movies, just to name a few. So are they all banned by China. Of course they are not. It is simply because CFC have not scheduled them.

Some of the movies will go Aug, some Sep, some late Oct and rest for Nov., since July scheduled is full at the moment.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

Yes, holy shit if you show China in a remotely negative way.  South Park Bigger Longer and Uncut should have been banned in Canada then.

The whole "blame Canada" thing is the joke

Although South Park is not kind to the Canadians,

portraying them as "squares"

Let's not turn this thread into a silly war of trolling

I saw it destroy other forums....

Edited by zackzack

The theory is that Brad Pitt movies are banned in China because of Seven Years in Tibet. That doesn't hold much water, since Mr. and Mrs. Smith got a release and the director of Seven Years is in China at this very moment filming a co-production with China's biggest state-run studio.

The same could be said about Steven Spielberg. One would think that all his movies would be banned after he quit as an artistic adviser for the 2008 Beijing Summer Olympics to protest the situation in Darfur. But Tintin got a China release. Very strange.

The whole "blame Canada" thing is the joke

Although South Park is not kind to the Canadians,

portraying them as "squares"

Let's not turn this thread into a silly war of trolling

I saw it destroy other forums....

Believe me I'm not trolling.  I'm deadly serious.  Countries are going to get made fun of or spoken about in a negative light.  Why that country should ban the film for those reasons is fucking laughable.  So trust me, my opinion is not trolling, I'm deadly serious.