baumer

Paranormal Activity 4

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I loved the previous 3. They all scared the shit out of me, but this was a load of crap. Boring, predictable, and not in the slightest scary, apart from a few odds scenes. And the ending. Oh my fucking god the ending. One of the worst I've ever seen. I did like the main girl though. Probably the only highlight of the movie.

D

In Paranormal Activity 4, a young girl, Alex (Kathryn Newton), notices strange things start happening in her house when her kid neighbor, Robbie (Brady Allen) stays over after his mother has a medical emergency.

I would rename this film, the Mostly Ordinary Activity. Unlike previous iterations, the scares in this film are more of the gotcha! variety. It uses a lot of misdirection instead of paranormal activities. That was a real downer. It even gets somewhat boring in parts since it is mostly just watching people go about their daily lives.

The casting of the series has always been a highlight as these films put spotlights on actors that were previously unknown. I thought I would be writing about Kathryn but I am actually going to point out Matt Shively who plays her somewhat boyfriend with the same name Alex. You see, since the film lacks scares for most of the movie, the film needed something else to carry it. It ends up being his character since he is just so funny. He has a lot of one liners and quips that are both natural for the atmosphere of the film and for the character interaction, (mostly with Alex).

Anyways, while 90% of the film is kind of downer, its ending is pretty damned great. I won't spoil anything for you but when a former lead of the series starts making more and more appearances in the film, the stakes get higher and higher. If you liked Paranormal Activity 3, then you'll enjoy this one. This is one the few times that an ending can save a film.

Also, be sure to stay after the credits for a short teaser of the Latino Activity! Not it's real name of course, but it looks to be the new direction the series is taking.

B-

Ok folks.. So what's the verdict??? Pay to see this in IMAX or wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray???? Be honest cause I do enjoy these movies..

I say see it. It's still a fun time even though the ending leaves more to be desired

Although this film didn't really do much to explain ANYTHING from the other three films, it is still nonetheless, a terrifying experience. Even when it is not scary, it's just unnerving and very unsettling. You know there is bad shit in the house and you know that something is eventually going to happen to everyone and for that reason, it works. The knife scene with the mom and then with the dad is so perfect, it's what makes this series so good. There were also some nice homages to other horror films as well....the bouncing ball scene from The Changeling is one. Also, Kathryn Newton is simply magnetic in this film. When she is on screen it is much better. There are very few times when she is not, but I actually noticed a lull in the story when she is not there for about 10 minutes. She may be only 15 but she has to be one of the bright newcomers to the business and I think she will have a long career ahead of her. I'm still only giving this a 7.5 out of 10, just below an A. And the reason is that although it is good, we've had two films now that tease us with this coven stuff. It's time to tie it all together and let us what the hell is happening. I need the fifth to tie it all up. PA4 is tense, tight, taught, frightening and very well done. It teases us too much but what it does right, it does very right.7.5/10For reference, here are my scores for the other 3:PA1: 9/10PA2: 10/10 (one of the scariest films ever)PA3: 6/10

Edited by Halloween baumer
  • Like 3

Well I was kind of disappointed. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but I enjoyed all of the first 3 more than this. Nothing really even happens until the ending. I'll still watch PA5, I love this series, but I just wish that this one was scarier.B- (for reference, I gave each of the first 3 all an A)

I still haven't seen the third one, but this one was several notches below the 2nd and especially 1st in terms of scariness. Maybe part of the reason was because I watched those two by myself in a dark empty house while I watched this one in theaters with a group of friends. Watching these movies alone while at home makes them much scarier, IMO. But PA4, I don't know what to make of it. It's not really scary, which is disappointing, but if you watch it by yourself it's probably scary. There were a lot of screams at the last 5 minutes or so, especially when the crazy bitch runs down the corridor. That got so many screams, and of course the very last shot we see of her when the 15 year old girl is just outside the spooky house and turns to look back in and...bam! Scary face right on screen. A decent horror movie, but it pales compared to the first and second (still haven't seen third).

• Like 2