baumer

Spider-man 3 (2007)

55 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's still better than the Andrew Garfield reboots. ;)

I was one of the few people who loved the film when it was first out. In my defense, I was 16 and moody as all get-up, so seeing a big superhero film take such an angsty approach (at least outside of those dancing scenes) was right up my alley. Upon re-watching it a few years ago, I still enjoyed it, but I'll concede that the third act is a huge mess with so many balls in the air that it doesn't complete any of its storylines as well as it should.

• Like 1

I have to give it an A (a movie executed in a unique way)

This is by far the most unique superhero-movie by any major studio. 
I don't know how much Rami was involved in the script writing process. But the execution herein is kinda flawless -- why? one might wonder. It's flawless because nobody's really done anything like this one before or since. Unique. And the best thing is that everyone on board seem to understand what they are up to. When director says the scene is comedic the actors and the rest of the crew know how to act. Same goes for the sentimental, the sarcastic, the convulsive parts of it. Great teamwork!

I understand why it got so many complaints upon release because i too complained very much back in 2007. 

The biggest issues with the movie (I think) were that that were too many villains in it, that its (so called) tone was inconsistent, and that the black suit (Venom) wasn't very realistic and didn't really fit in the world Rami had build in previous movies. 

I'm not quite sure what Rami's purpose was when he directed it, nor sure how involved he was in the script writing process. 
BUT THE RESULT is a movie which goes in every direction. Like a minor big bang. 
And when you think about it... Isn't the early 20's pretty much like a big bang. You explode and implode soon thereafter. 
Things go really quick. The one minute you're in a great relationship, in the other minute you're breaking up. You fight your friends, reunite with them, fight them again... The one minute your auntie is alive and well.. The other she's not. 
The editing in SM3 really shows how strangleholding the late 20's can be. You don't really know where life is taking you. Sometimes a misstep can feel quite good, but in the end it's a step in the wrong direction. And you have to learn from these.

THE BLACK SUIT is one great symbol of misstepping life. It's the ultimate symbol of the power of drugs and alcohol, and it all ends up in abusive sex. 
The 20's are a dangerous (nah.. but crucial) time in life (see ATTACK OF THE CLONES wherein the lead character mistakes his girlfriend for his mother) and SM3 is proving this very well.

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 1

Rewatching this now because I rewatched 1&2 last week. I'm actually little over an hour in currently. Have some thoughts. 

It's really not a bad film, but obviously the weakest in the trilogy. On this rewatch, I have noticed that some plot points should've been changed, or completely left out (mainly sandman being responsible for uncle Ben's death, but Harry's goblin suit and amnesia could've handled better as well). The score could've been handled better also. And I know there 3rd act is the worst part. I'm not even to that point yet right now, but I know it's coming lol 

Some small changes here and there could've easily made this a better movie. Changes could've made it at least on par with the first even if it still wouldn't have made it better than the second.

The expectations being through the roof really are what killed this movies legs. This movie had one hell of a marketing campaign. I could only imagine how big it would've been had it lived up to expectations.

Sequels to this Spider-Man series with less studio interference could've been really good. I think it would've been awesome to have sequels to this (and I really didn't mind TASM series. Asian Smurf was perfect for Gwen imo), and as much as I love Tom Holland as Spidey, I always imagine if they continued with this and still had a deal with marvel to merge this with the MCU. Spidey could've done his reveal to the public like in there civil war comics. 

It wasn't just backlash to the astronomically high expectations that hurt this film's legs; it was also the fact that it had to deal with two four-quadrant films that opened over $100 million back when one still needed only two hands to count the number of $100 million openers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Webslinger said:

It wasn't just backlash to the astronomically high expectations that hurt this film's legs; it was also the fact that it had to deal with two four-quadrant films that opened over $100 million back when one still needed only two hands to count the number of $100 million openers.

That is true also

I just got to the part where Eddie asks God to kill Peter... Gotta be one of the most laughable lines ever :rofl:

And they really couldn't have gotten someone better, and bigger than Topher for Eddie Brock? They could've at least beefed up the venom suit. And would it have killed them to include venom's tongue and not have him retract his mask so much?

Final thoughts, if Sony had given Raimi until 2012 (I still don't fully understand why his deadline was 2011 but reboot got until 2012, but whatever) and if Sony didn't meddle as much as they did in this, SM4 could've been great. Raimi himself was disappointed in SM3. I think he would've known what to do and what not to do to bring the series back to the heights of the first 2 films. This series wasn't impossible to save, this film wasn't bad enough to end a franchise. 

But, we will never know, and more likely than not, Sony would've interfered anyway. So really, m thankful enough for Sony to go down there path they did that eventually led to the partnership with marvel that brought us Tom Holland as an age appropriate Spidey in the MCU

Spider-Man 3 is infamous for being a mess, and there's truth to that reputation. There's so much bloat present while many actually important plot threads are underdeveloped. It's clear Raimi had no interest in the scenes involving the symbiote as these lack any of the energy present in the rest of this trilogy. Peter comes off as out-of-character even before he tries on the black suit, and Dunst tries her best with some truly terrible material. Only Franco, Harris and Simmons come out of it with their reputations still intact, although Franco's arc still falls under the underdeveloped plot threads, sadly. The action is still good, and the Sandman is a pretty cool villain aesthetically. Unfortunately, the black suit really amounts to one cool scene (Peter dancing down the street), and just a lot of other boredom. Spider-Man 3 is the disappointing ending to what could've easily been one of the greatest trilogies ever, coming off as a forced finale rather than the organically told story of the previous two chapters. D

THis one is way better than TASM and SMH! Atleast in terms of performances, story and entertainment!

I dont remember being disappointed by any of the movies in trilogy!

This one has its own share of flaws but the worst part of the movie is Dance scene. 

8/10

On 7/13/2017 at 5:02 AM, John Rambo said:

THis one is way better than TASM and SMH! Atleast in terms of performances, story and entertainment!

I dont remember being disappointed by any of the movies in trilogy!

This one has its own share of flaws but the worst part of the movie is Dance scene. 

8/10

Better than TASM maybe, but not better than SMH. Not at all

Every critic I follow on YouTube and online have basically crapped all over this film as if it is one of the worst films ever made. While I definitely think it has a ton of problems and is easily the weakest film of the trilogy, it still has a lot great moments. The action scenes are all fantastic, Thomas Haden Church is a really good Sandman, and I felt all the arcs that were set up in the previous movies came to a nice little conclusion. Even though it wasn't supposed to end on this film, it definitely felt like a decent end to the trilogy imo. Easily better then the Andrew Garfield movies, at least the second one.

B-