baumer

Princess Bride

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Princess Bride

This IS a strange film. A a rule I don't like the postmodern, overly self-conscious or ironic approach, especially when doing fantasy. Why then is ist that I can watch "The Princess Bride" at least twice a year and always enjoy? Must have been pure luck, I can't imagine those wildly differing elements coming together into a similar nice film ever again. Compare this to 2011's "Your Highness" and you see what I mean. (And "Your Highness" wasn't that bad, have already seen it twice and have no objections to watching it again, but "The Princess Bride" is superior on almost every level)So, what is it that works?- Peter Falk: He keeps it all together. Absolutely necessary narrator.- Music: Mark Knopfler is a treasure. Sadly, he doesn't do much film music. Think about "Local Hero" without the music - ugh ... His music in Princess Bride is simple but effective.- The humor: It actually works; in some scenes it even takes off into something MontyPythonesque (ROUS), in others it's simple wordplay and in others visual jokes like the somersaults in the duel between Inigo and Wesley. Many comedies rely on cheap laughs or raunchy scenes, here we have some actually good and intelligent jokes.- Buttercup: Neither Robin Wright nor Cary Elwes went on to great careers, but Wright was fantastic casting. She brings an innocent stare and stance to the role which is necessary not to sink the film.- André the Giant and Mandy Patinkin: Inspired casting as well.There are things in "Princess Bride" which could be better - the camerawork is basic; some studio scenes look really cheap; Buttercup is too passive during the finale; they might have found someone for Wesley with a slyer face than Cary Elwes ... But this deserves an A for joining the most impropable elements into such an enjoyable film!

• Like 1