5 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

It's SCHLOCK. Sometimes it's glorious schlock, sometimes it's boring schlock. But McConaughey is always great and Kidman gives a deliriously entertaining over-the-top performance. Is Lee Daniels self-aware? Between this and Precious you could make a case either way.

• Like 1

acting is just downright terrible, McConaughey plays the same role yet again, Kidman oscillates from good to awful, Cusack is ugh, Efron is better but that's not saying much, Macy Gray is the real surprise here, she gave a really good performace. The script has no focus and the film was terribly terribly shot. D- (30)

Edited by Goffe Luvs 1D

A films that made me angry at the end and it also made me feel like I had to watch a light and fun comedy after it was all over.  The acting in this film is downright brilliant.  I'm a big John Cusack fan and he kind of blew me away in here.  He's just a nasty piece of trailer trash shit.  But he's so good.  The rest of the cast is top notch as well.  McConaughey carries it and Kidman's character is such a tramp and she plays it so well.  Zac Efron surprised me as well.  Even Scott Glenn in his small role was well cast.

The ending, as I mentioned, really upset me.  I did not want to see the killing.  And to make matters worse, we only get to hear what happens to Hilary.  I wanted closure on this.  And it's the one part of the film I thought they mishandled.  all throughout the film it is established that Jack is a bit of an ass kicker.  But when it is time for him to kick some ass against someone who deserves it, it doesn't happen.  Shame.  The rest of the movie is very well done.

9/10

• Like 1