filmnerdjamie

Wednesday Numbers (05/15)(Trek 3.25M early IMAX+midnts, GG 3.9, IM3 3.8)

To get an extra day before next weekend's releases.

I guess that kinda makes sense. But it would have made more sense to open it on Wednesday then and go for a 5 day opening. And people are used to Wednesday openings. Thursday openings are few and far between though.

Edited by MovieMan89

It really should have opened May '11. I feel like that's when the general public was expecting it and would have been most hyped for it. This should be Star Trek 3 opening right now.

I was saying that and people were like "no, no, 4 years of hype is better!". This was my reasoning for Trek 2 not increasing. - My theory, ST09 was a novelty film. The last Trek movie was 2002 and it was terrible. Here comes 2009 and JJ Abrams has revitalized the franchise. People (fans and GA) wanted to see if JJ could pull it off, and he did. No one called a $74 OW, $270M gross, or 95% RT. I think 09 brought more non fans out of curiosity. IMO that's how THG crossed $400M.

But what people don't realize is ST is still a fan driven series. Regular people werent anticipating Trek and IDT many of them would've came out if reviews werent stellar. Waiting 4 years loses peoples attention fast. Also, other than new characters, I didn't see anything to differentiate this from the first. The novelty has worn off. Too long of a wait and too much of the same thing. We know that JJ can do it. Also releasing this in front of TH3 and F6 wasnt the smartest. Those are more casual-friendly and some people may be saving their money to wait 7 days to see those. Yall may not agree, but that's just my personal feelings and why I based my predicts as 90/265 and not $350+ like others.

• Like 1

Got clarification from Whitewalls (the user at HSX) that he doesn't think BTC includes midnights, although he is not sure. So the actual projection is 85-88M for the 4 day from BTC.

That does not make the numbers any better. lol
  • Like 1

I was saying that and people were like "no, no, 4 years of hype is better!". This was my reasoning for Trek 2 not increasing. - My theory, ST09 was a novelty film. The last Trek movie was 2002 and it was terrible. Here comes 2009 and JJ Abrams has revitalized the franchise. People (fans and GA) wanted to see if JJ could pull it off, and he did. No one called a $74 OW, $270M gross, or 95% RT. I think 09 brought more non fans out of curiosity. IMO that's how THG crossed $400M.

But what people don't realize is ST is still a fan driven series. Regular people werent anticipating Trek and IDT many of them would've came out if reviews werent stellar. Waiting 4 years loses peoples attention fast. Also, other than new characters, I didn't see anything to differentiate this from the first. The novelty has worn off. Too long of a wait and too much of the same thing. We know that JJ can do it. Also releasing this in front of TH3 and F6 wasnt the smartest. Those are more casual-friendly and some people may be saving their money to wait 7 days to see those. Yall may not agree, but that's just my personal feelings and why I based my predicts as 90/265 and not $350+ like others.

Agreed. Although you have to wonder if Abrams could only make an OK sequel in 4 years, how bad would this have been with just 2 years of time?

And people are used to Wednesday openings. Thursday openings are few and far between though.

I don't think people are more inclined to go on Wednesday rather than Thursday. It would probably make the same on either day.

I don't think people are more inclined to go on Wednesday rather than Thursday. It would probably make the same on either day.

What I mean is people expect a new movie to come out either on Wednesday or Friday. They don't look for a new movie on other days, because aside from Holidays that almost never happens. Star Wars is about the only non-holiday Thursday opener. And Star Wars is Star Wars, doesn't matter when it opens.

Edited by MovieMan89

This feels familiar, kinda like 2 weeks ago when the 58M figure for IM3 OD was announced.

Yeah but I said bull shit on that number. 

Then I was wasted on Saturday was drunk posting saying Saturday was great. 

Then I got Sunday wrong :( 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

What I mean is people expect a new movie to come out either on Wednesday or Friday. They don't look for a new movie on other days, because aside from Holidays that almost never happens. Star Wars is about the only non-holiday Thursday opener. And Star Wars is Star Wars, doesn't matter when it opens.

Crystal Skull and Matrix Reloaded had successful Wed night/Thursday openings. People expect new releases on Fridays. Wednesday or Thursday hardly makes any difference, IMO.

Edited by RichWS

Agreed. Although you have to wonder if Abrams could only make an OK sequel in 4 years, how bad would this have been with just 2 years of time?

Though we obviously wouldn't have known then, 2011 was sort of weak. I think it would've done better then and ST09 would still be fresh on people's minds. As for this year, August would have been better, though I think studios are becoming less favorable of August and more of April.

Edited by jandrew

Yeah but I said bull shit on that number. 

Then I was wasted on Saturday was drunk posting saying Saturday was great. 

Then I got Sunday wrong :(

:lol: Yeah, you were dead right on Sat but almost everyone just brush over it cause you're drunk.

The Sun number was anti-climatic for all of us  :lol: Guess the family nature of IM3 was already there. That and probably because of Cinco de Mayo too.

Edited by Sam

Crystal Skull and Matrix Reloaded had successful Wed night/Thursday openings. People expect new releases on Fridays. Wednesday or Thursday hardly makes any difference, IMO.

I dunno, Wednesday releases happen so frequently in the summer for the past decade or so I feel like people do expect them now. Thursday though is still a really rare day to release a movie.

Yeah, you were dead right on Sat but almost everyone just brush over it cause you're drunk.

It looked obvious..

Day time shows were mostly full, and night time business was up from Friday... The increase to over 60 million was shocking nevertheless. 

• Like 1