theultimatebiu

WKND BO: #StarTrek $70.6M/$84.1M, IronMan3 $35.2M/$337.1M, Gatsby $23.4M/$90.2M

and that's really great what Kirk did, some nice character development for him, but Spock would NOT HAVE CARED, or at least not showed it outwardly. As you'll recall, earlier in the movie Kirk and McCoy both agreed that Spock would have let Kirk die in the volcano!!!!!! Just think about this folks. His reaction at the end does not fit! It simply does not. There's no defending it.

But he actually cares. Remember the conversation with Uhura while flying to Kronos? He actually cares but tried to do what's logical in a lot of situations. At the end of the movie he just let go.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 3

and that's really great what Kirk did, some nice character development for him, but Spock would NOT HAVE CARED, or at least not showed it outwardly. As you'll recall, earlier in the movie Kirk and McCoy both agreed that Spock would have let Kirk die in the volcano!!!!!! Just think about this folks. His reaction at the end does not fit! It simply does not. There's no defending it.

To be fair, you're comparing a two hour movie with a show that ran for three seasons and 80 episodes.  There's too many characters and not enough time to build that relationship slowly.  I wasn't the biggest fan of StiD but that the Kirk-Spock talk at the end was one of the better parts.  What I want to know is how come nobody has any kind of defensive capabilities in the Star Trek universe.  How the hell did Khan get that little ship into Starfleet HQ and assassinate all those commanders?  How did the Enterprise park on the edge of the neutral zone and then send a small ship down and back without being noticed at all?  How did a multi-starship battle take place right next to Earth without any other starship showing up?  How the fuck is there no way to stop Khan from crashing that black starship into San Francisco?  These people really suck at defending themselves.  I would say the Klingons could just go in and take Earth easily, but they're just as bad.

Edited by VanAuger32

RE: the ending and scene

In WoK, Spock’s definitive declaration of friendship, and his death, are the culmination of a decades’ long relationship between him and Kirk. They both know already that Spock has always been his friend, that their friendship has defined them, but for whatever reason it’s never been said out loud. Now, in his final moments, Spock wants to say it. He wants it on the record, so to speak. But he’s only stating the obvious.This time, in the altered timeline, these two guys haven’t got that history. What they’ve got is frustration and misunderstanding and cross purposes and, for Kirk, a heads up from Spock Prime that they’re supposed to be life long friends. So he doesn’t quite get that it’s just not happening, and Spock – who’s never had a friend, doesn’t know what to do with a friend, doesn’t know how to be a friend – he’s just doing what he knows how to do, what he’s been taught is the right thing to do, and is genuinely shocked when it keeps backfiring on him. There’s a part of him that wants the friendship, knows he needs the friendship, even feels the friendship, but he’s not capable of articulating that in any way.So Kirk’s death is a catalyst, it’s the light bulb going on, it’s the you don’t know what you’ve got ’til it’s gone moment, where finally he understands. It doesn’t matter that we, the audience, know that the death won’t stick. Spock and Kirk have no reason to think it won’t. So that is a real moment for them, and it’s hugely powerful, I think. Spock’s death in WoK is the coda to their shared lives … but Kirk’s death in ID is the defining moment that propels them into that legendary friendship.

For Spock’s sake, Kirk wants him to understand that he put his career on the line to save him because he matters, because some things are more important than the rules. But for his own sake too he needs Spock to understand that, or what was the point? And the fact that Spock does get it, and says so, that’s his reward. That’s him knowing he didn’t do what he did for nothing. That Spock Prime was right.So it’s not about being unoriginal, it’s not about disrespecting the source material, it’s about reinterpreting, reimagining, taking a pivotal moment in history and bending it around the fact that nothing in this timeline will be precisely as it was in the original.Which would be the whole point.

First of all, props for the well thought out response.

But it still doesn't add up. Spock may in fact be open to a friendship with Kirk, but the fact remains that it was not working and there was nothing there.

You may be correct that the death will lead to a far deeper respect in the future, but I'm still not so sure that equates to friendship. And at the moment of death, it certainly would not have.

You're imagining a friendship that was NEVER shown, and you're supposing a potential friendship where simple respect would be a more logical response. But like I said, you may well be correct that the death will in fact eventually propel them into an actual friendship in the future, and I hope that is shown in the next movies. It should be.

But in this movie it was just bad storytelling.

First of all, props for the well thought out response.

But it still doesn't add up. Spock may in fact be open to a friendship with Kirk, but the fact remains that it was not working and there was nothing there.

You may be correct that the death will lead to a far deeper respect in the future, but I'm still not so sure that equates to friendship. And at the moment of death, it certainly would not have.

You're imagining a friendship that was NEVER shown, and you're supposing a potential friendship where simple respect would be a more logical response. But like I said, you may well be correct that the death will in fact eventually propel them into an actual friendship in the future, and I hope that is shown in the next movies. It should be.

But in this movie it was just bad storytelling.

I do think something was there if they've spent a year in space working with each other, but that's the problem with movies I guess. I don't think, Spock in this universe probably struggles far more with his human side due to his relationship with Uhura and the destruction of Vulcan. The scene undoubtedly carries less gravitas than the original for obvious reasons, but I still thought it was powerful and well done nonetheless.

• Like 2

To be fair, you're comparing a two hour movie with a show that ran for three seasons and 80 episodes.  There's too many characters and not enough time to build that relationship slowly.  I wasn't the biggest fan of StiD but that the Kirk-Spock talk at the end was one of the better parts.  What I want to know is how come nobody has any kind of defensive capabilities in the Star Trek universe.  How the hell did Khan get that little ship into Starfleet HQ and assassinate all those commanders?  How did the Enterprise park on the edge of the neutral zone and then send a small ship down and back without being noticed at all?  How did a multi-starship battle take place right next to Earth without any other starship showing up?  How the fuck is there no way to stop Khan from crashing that black starship into San Francisco?  These people really suck at defending themselves.  I would say the Klingons could just go in and take Earth easily, but they're just as bad.

For the assassination of the commanders, didn't Khan reveal to Kirk that it was planned or something? Maybe I'm wrong; I'll have to watch it again.As for the little ship going to Kronos, they did get noticed and got chased around, right?Although to be fair, why didn't any Klingons chase after them after they picked up Khan? I mean, they lost maybe two dozen military Klingon in minutes. Lololol.

Edited by acetabulum7

But he actually cares. Remember the conversation with Uhura while flying to Kronos? He actually cares but tried to do what's logical in a lot of situations. At the end of the movie he just let go.

I'll buy that he cares about Uhura. I'll buy that he cared about Vulcan. And I'll buy that he'd do anything to save his shipmates. But I simply don't buy that he views Kirk as such a strong friend.

Certainly not enough to go into full savage murder mode and try to beat Khan to death. If Uhura had died, that reaction would have been far more believeable. But for the death of Kirk, no, I just don't buy him going all 2001-Dawn-Of-Man style on Khan. 

No I give up :P , Im moving to Vulcan..wait a minute that involves Logic

Could you possibly update UK numbers, please...?

EDIT: D'oh, you already have. Thank you!

Edited by MrPink Unchained

For the assassination of the commanders, didn't Khan reveal to Kirk that it planned or something? Maybe I'm wrong; I'll have to watch it again.As for the little ship going to Kronos, they did get noticed and got chased around, right?Although to be fair, why didn't any Klingons chase after them after they picked up Khan? I mean, they lost maybe two dozen military Klingon in minutes. Lololol.

It was Khan's plan, not that Admiral bad guy whose name I can't remember.

Their small ship wasn't picked up on radar or anything, it was direct line of sight.  So somehow, from Earth Starfleet can scan the entire planet of Kronos, identify that there is one person in this area, and then somehow not know that patrols go through there.  Patrols with like twelve Klingons.  Hell, why even use the ship?  Why not just warp a god damn bomb to where Khan is on Kronos using Scotty's equation?

Yeah, the Klingons weren't too upset Khan killed all of their guys.  The Enterprise was right next to Kronos for a long time and they didn't do jack shit.  But because most of the movie was comprised of plotholes like that, I enjoyed the emotional moments more because then at least I wasn't thinking about how illogical the movie was.

To be fair, you're comparing a two hour movie with a show that ran for three seasons and 80 episodes.  There's too many characters and not enough time to build that relationship slowly.

And you're right about that. Not only were there 80 episodes for them to show us the bond these characters had, but they actually knew each other for DECADES, making the bond feel quite believeable. It's easy for us to see why they see each other as family, because they actually spent the "in-universe" time together, and we viewers also spent deceades seeing these characters together,so  we saw that lifelong bond both in universe time and in out "real life" time.

But in this new timeline, we only see two characters that do nothing for a movie and a  half but get on each others nerves. And in actual "star trek universe" time, these two have spent what, 12 months together tops? Maybe 2 years of getting on each others nerves? There's no brotherly bond between them.