druv10

Wednesday: Hangover 3 ($3.1m Wed+Thu sneaks), STID 5.3M, TGG 2.3M, IM3 2.2M

Possibly. I guess there's something to be said for spillover effect with F6 drawing out similar crowds. *shrug*

Yeah, Furious 6 does throw a wrench in the proceedings, for sure.

My main argument is that, if you were unaware Hangover 3 was coming out today and planned on seeing it say tomorrow, seeing tweets from midnight showings is probably not going to make you race to the theater today.  :P

• Like 2

It may sound like spin, but it's true. The Thursday date change WAS a big factor in the drop. I hate to bring a personal anecdote into this, but one of my best buddies considers the Hangover series to be by far his favorite movies- and when I asked him about it, he had no damn clue that the third one came out today. He was geared up to see it with a big group tomorrow. So I really do think it has an effect.

While I'm certainly still seeing a big drop from TH2 overall, let's also keep in mind the release date change came fairly late whereas TH2 was long-planned for a Thursday open.

Funny note: even WB's e-mail this morning stated "Thursday Late shows". :lol:

Sorry, but even though this may be a bit true, the same thing happened last weekend with Star Trek, and things didn't get better...

• Founder / Operator

I don't think spillover effect is really a thing anymore. Hangover and Fast 6 will both be playing on huge amounts of screens this weekend. 

I should have elaborated more: what I mean is the spillover of having similar demographics for the two movies walking into the theater on the same weekend, not in terms of sell-out shows.

Put another way: I'm pretty sure this weekend is going to be a perfect storm for some record box office numbers. Possibly record attendance. Every movie will benefit from that, even the ones that "underperform".

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

Sorry, but even though this may be a bit true, the same thing happened last weekend with Star Trek, and things didn't get better...

They don't always. What would you consider to be "better" for TH3 at this point?

While I'm certainly still seeing a big drop from TH2 overall, let's also keep in mind the release date change came fairly late whereas TH2 was long-planned for a Thursday open.

Last minute change of release date may have altered the opening negatively.....now where have I heard that before?

Feels very deja vu suddenly. 

• Like 1

STiD is still going over $200m domestic, the calling out of flopness on that has been exaggerated....highly. 

TH3 will be lucky to see $125m if it's lucky. FF6 and the rest of summer will squash it fast. No legs. 

• Like 4

• Founder / Operator

Last minute change of release date may have altered the opening negatively.....now where have I heard that before?

Feels very deja vu suddenly. 

"May have" being the operative words; not "did". ;)

STiD is still going over $200m domestic, the calling out of flopness on that has been exaggerated....highly. 

TH3 will be lucky to see $125m if it's lucky. FF6 and the rest of summer will squash it fast. No legs. 

I'm strictly speaking on weekend of Star Trek; I'm convinced it'll have fantastic legs and even think there's a more than solid chance of it being #2 at the BO this weekend. Don't worry about that. :P Agree with you on the Flopover. ;)

• Like 1

This will still make a profit though.

Nice analysis, but you're not living up to your avatar. You should say, "Looks like the party's over! My sources tell me The Hangover series is finally suffering an actual hangover."

;)

• Like 1