Punishment

Tue Numbers: F6 8.1, HO3 4.2, STID 3.4, Epic 2.3, GG 1.6

Uh, no. I'm with Ecstasy on the box office argument. A movie makes what it makes and there isn't anything we can do about it.

True. If we could change things, I am sure that many would have started with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

True. If we could change things, I am sure that many would have started with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Funny you mention it. That is the movie I had in my mind when I wrote that post, haha. It's the quintessential bad movie that made a ton of money. Transformers is popular. No sense crying about it.

• Like 1

I do wish IM3 had been a bit better to justify that kind of money, but yes - TF3 killed the idea there was any correlation between quality/profundity and box office. Before that movie all the other mega money makers at least had a USP of sorts.

Edited by Hatebox

I do wish IM3 had been a bit better to justify that kind of money, but yes - TF3 killed the idea there was any correlation between quality/profundity and box office. Before that movie all the other mega money makers at least had a USP of sorts.

Transformers 2.

Transformers 2.

TF2 was at least an anticpated sequel to a much-loved breakout predecessor (so was Dead Man's Chest). TF3 was a crap follow-up to a crap predecessor. That still made stupid money. There's nothing to say after a performance like that.

• Like 1

I was very critical of IM3 but I'm not mad it made a Billion.  It success has more to do with The Avengers becoming a worldwide Phenomenon.  People just wanted to see what was next for the Avengers and IM3 benefited greatly from that.  I agree with people that are saying it might have dropped from IM2 or been on par with it had The Avengers not come out but that's a what if/hypothetical.  All I'm going to say is that it's multiplier will end up very close to Spidey 3 which broke Box Office Records when it came out and got a Fresh on RT yet today it's considered one of the worst comic book movies ever.  I'm not saying IM3 is that bad but if a near Billion didn't save Spidey 3 from criticism historically.  1.2 Billion won't save IM3 from future criticism either.  

420 Finish: 2.4

Spidey 3: 2.2

The debate over does Box Office = Quality will always be there but I think at the end of the day IM3 success can be given to The Avengers and Marvel/Disney for a great marketing campaign and for it being the film that kicked off the summer.  As well as families enjoying it making it have really Strong Weekends cause the Weekdays are the biggest reason it's multiplier will end up near Spidey 3.

TF2 was at least an anticpated sequel to a much-loved breakout predecessor (so was Dead Man's Chest). TF3 was a crap follow-up to a crap predecessor. That still made stupid money. There's nothing to say after a performance like that.

Yeah, same with Pirates 4.