13 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I mean, I liked it! The soundtrack was great (LEVELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), and the way it was shot looked like.... natural? Though some scenes were way too dark, and overall the whole thing had a blue tint. But there's one shot where it has an entire house in frame and it slowly zooms in for like a minute and a half while you see them running around robbing it. Loved that shot. 

I understand the complaints about it not really... saying anything? It's kind of just... people robbing a few houses (LOL at the fact that they went to Paris Hilton's house eight times xD) and then going to court over it. Nobody particularly stands out. Emma Watson's funny, but it's not like she's going to get nominated for this. Seems it was about the boy, and he was serviceable. 

IDK, like an 8? It's very funny, but it's certainly no Lost in Translation.

And because it's the hip comparison for this movie, Spring Breakers was better. 

Edited by Only Travod Forgives

I actually enjoyed this quite a bit.  The story is really interesting and like someone else said I just kept thinking 'i can't believe kids really act like this'.  Soundtrack is fantastic.  When a filmmaker understands both movies and music it can work wonders and it really takes the film to another level.  The cast is great, with Watson and Chang as standouts.

I don't feel like the film didn't say anything I think it just did it in very subtle ways.  But I do think more examination of the characters during the repercussions of what they did would have made others like it a bit more.  

As always, beautifully shot.  Coppola has a knack for very clean, polished camera work and I have to say I think it always works.  

I would give it a B+.  I enjoyed this more than Spring Breakers if that gives you any idea.

Edited by RyneOh1040

Let me get this out of the way first.  Emma Watson and Katie Chang are freakin gorgeous.  They ooze sexuality in this film.  I loved watching them.  They made the film better than it was and that isn't saying much.

The film itself is a big letdown.  I'm not sure what more you could do but this is really just one scene after another of kids robbing famous people's houses.  After the second time, and after listening to them "Wow"ing and "Ooooh"ing for the 500th time, it gets old really fast.  The ending is inevitable and not just because it's based on a true story.  It's inevitable because these kids are so stupid, so moronic and have such an invincibility complex that they have no choice but to get caught.  Every kid in this film is privileged.  They are all wealthy, they are all spoiled and they all have moronic parents.  They all believed that what they were doing was something they were entitled to.  It's an interesting dynamic to the film, to watch these morons rob people, and not just because they have cool stuff, but because it was cool to rob an A-lister.  They all wanted to be in the cool crowd, they all wanted to be Paris Hilton and Lohan.

But once you get past seeing Paris Hilton's riches for the fifth time, the film really goes nowhere.  It's not a bad film, but it's far from a good one.

6/10

In preparation to The Bling Ring I watched another Sofia Coppola movie, Marie Antoinette. Thats a terrifically entertaining, well-made and visually spectacular movie with a killer soundtrack. Liked it quite a bit. 

The Bling Ring feels uninspired. The considerably angrier and more heavy-handed Spring Breakers covered the same types of themes (ignorant bitches, crime, drugs, depravity of the youth) , but did it with invention and fury and hellfire. This movie just felt like Sofia Coppola wasn't even that interested in the subject of her film. There are endless scenes of these girls digging through fabulous clothes and jewelry, and while these scenes feel real and show a good chemistry between the main cast, they feel awfully stretched out. 

I liked the guy who played the male member of the gang and there is some interesting camera work going on, but overall its really not much anything. 

2,5/5

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

She was alright but honestly, all the girls were pretty much interchangeable. No one was bad but there werent any standouts either because they werent that interesting or well written characters.Watson doesnt actually have a lot of screentime.

it's a really slow movie (being just 90 minutes long) about people robbing a few houses, they (the gang) don't take any precautions, they are beyond stupid (even for teenagers) and they get caught in the end of the movie, that's the whole plot of the movie. The commentary felt really superficial and the acting was bad and over the top, especially that blond girl (the tall one), Watson was the only save grace, she and the palpable tension in some parts. Really mediocre. 50 out of 100

Edited by Goffe R Swanson

Perhaps this is too easy but nonetheless.........superficial as fuck.

One can see what Sophia Coppola is attempts (and ultimately succeeds) in doing here.  Her prior film Somewhere starred Stephen Dorff as an actor sleepwalking through a lifeless existence.  The film itself followed suit as it was generally a lifeless affair.  This time around she is clearly trying to make a statement about celebrity worship and the inherent superficiality that comes with it.  That's all fine and dandy, but there's no excuse for a film about superficiality being superficial itself.

I for the most part dug the film's message and themes.  It's execution however is simply brutal at times.  There are more interesting ways to comment on superficiality without resorting to actual superficiality.  Spring Breakers for example deals with similar themes and is able to mask them in a damn good watch by way of some satire.  I'm not saying this needed to be a satire, but dear god inject at least a little creativity here every now and then.

Even if you are one who respects a superficial film commentating on the superficial aspect of our culture, it is even harder to justify the repetitive nature of the proceedings here.  The first hour alone consists of the same group of people going into house after house.  Even once the inevitable bust happens the characterrs themselves remain the same.  Once again commentating on today's youth and culture, but I can't help but feel an opportunity was missed here.  Perhaps I'm speaking subjectively, but seeing these characters true personalities break through in peril would have been interesting.  It for one would have been a crack through the superficiality and add some much needed depth.  Such was not the case.

Simply put............get droned as fuck.

What a bland movie. Absolutely nothing was happening that was worth paying attention to.

I watched it for Emma and her acting made me cringe. It was amateurish, forced and fake. Maybe because she had to put on American accent, i don't know. But she seemed out of her comfort zone. I don't think she is a good actress anyway. But she is very attractive obviously and looks as though she can dance at a party.

D

• Like 1