#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

NotFabio reported that Wal-Mart showtimes sold around 30% of the number of regular midnight shows. I'm treating it like $3m would have been in the regular midnight number and $9m was a freebie boost for WB. So that puts the preview total at $12m and Friday day business at $32m. From there I expect around a 5% drop on Saturday and 10-15% drop on Sunday.

And how did he get this information? Does his theater have a Walmart connection we were not aware of?

Remember notfabio has a theater chain, not ALL theaters.

I think I read in one of the numerous articles that part of the deal was that Walmart would be the exclusive ticket seller. Thus no other previews.

I think they're gonna sell Supes merchandise regardless if there's no ticket deal with WB. But maybe in exchange for the 12M worth of tickets, they get a better deal in merchandise, like getting a bigger cut out of Supes merchandise or something.

• Like 2

Yeah, this Walmart thing makes no sense. How can you buy tickets at $12 per ticket and sell them for less? That makes no business sense at all. If it happened then it happened. But, I can't figure out how it could happen.

It's called a promotion.  You give away free stuff in the hope that it will lure people in to buy other stuff.  It happens all the time.

Why was Walmart selling the tickets at a loss?

I doubt Walmart will lose money on this endeavor. They most like had other deals setup with WB and plus this gives customers incentive to go to Walmart where they can purchase other items. In the end both parties won.  :D

Look, I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of their disgusting union busting bullshit, but if I got movie tickets there, I know for a fact I'd be grabbing some food and gum, maybe some headphones, while I'm in there. That's simple human nature AND simple economics. Wal-Mart knew what it was doing.

• Like 1

Wal-Mart could afford to sell the tickets at a root-profit loss price because I'd wager at least 80 percent of the people who bought tickets bought something from the store at the same time, generating profits in another way. 

That's how retailer works. 

Edited by firedeep

I think they're gonna sell Supes merchandise regardless if there's no ticket deal with WB. But maybe in exchange for the 12M worth of tickets, they get a better deal in merchandise, like getting a bigger cut out of Supes merchandise or something.

Now that makes a whole lot of sense.