#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

For me it doesn't. 

It actually gives me a clear idea of MOS true box office for its first 24 hours.

Movie grossed $9 million (estimated) from midnight. For sake of argument, I'm going to say without this Walmart promotion, MOS true midnight number could've been AT LEAST (and this is a very important word) $15 million. Rest of day: $35 million

$50,000,000. $50 million for a reboot.

Can someone give me the top three reboot movies (opening day) adjuster for inflation?

Where does MOS rank with this $50 million (AT LEAST) for opening day?

NotFabio reported that Wal-Mart showtimes sold around 30% of the number of regular midnight shows. I'm treating it like $3m would have been in the regular midnight number and $9m was a freebie boost for WB. So that puts the preview total at $12m and Friday day business at $32m. From there I expect around a 5% drop on Saturday and 10-15% drop on Sunday.

From a box-office attendance tracking perspective, I don't much like the trend started by WalMart.  Muddies the water when gauging popularity of a movie (assuming we won't know for awhile how many tickets were sold).

I agree though that it's money in WB's piggy bank, regardless.  

I agree that it shouldn't count as any kind of record, but for those of us hoping for a Flash movie, Wonder Woman movie, Justice League or World's Finest movie, etc...it doesn't matter to me how they get the money. If Wal-Mart was stupid enough to write them a check for $12m in ticket sales and it helps boost WB's profit margin on this film, then I'm fine with it. I am all for anything that will convince WB to get off their asses and stop being so cautious with their superhero characters.

You speak the truth, I just want a good JL movie with Darkseid as the villain. Hopefully this gives WB the impetus to take some risk regarding DC. :D No reason DC should be this behind Marvel.

For me it doesn't. 

It actually gives me a clear idea of MOS true box office for its first 24 hours.

Movie grossed $9 million (estimated) from midnight. For sake of argument, I'm going to say without this Walmart promotion, MOS true midnight number could've been AT LEAST (and this is a very important word) $15 million. Rest of day: $35 million

$50,000,000. $50 million for a reboot.

Can someone give me the top three reboot movies (opening day) adjuster for inflation?

Where does MOS rank with this $50 million (AT LEAST) for opening day?

Yeah but it would have been much different if they were regular previews. You're still just guessing with that figure. If it was regular you could easily fold that figure into Friday's gross and be absolutely correct.

Yeah. It doesn't hold up against Monaters Inc(which along with Wall-E are my favourite Pixars) it's not too bad though, there's still some of the charm that made MI so good.

Envious. Opens on the 26th here.

Yeah. It doesn't hold up against Monaters Inc(which along with Wall-E are my favourite Pixars) it's not too bad though, there's still some of the charm that made MI so good.

Darn.  Car 2, Brave, and now Monsters Univ falling below critical expectations for Pixar.  Three in a row.  *sigh*

Wal-Mart could afford to sell the tickets at a root-profit loss price because I'd wager at least 80 percent of the people who bought tickets bought something from the store at the same time, generating profits in another way. 

• Like 2

Why was Walmart selling the tickets at a loss?

Do you want me to tell you the amount of times I saw my facebook friends posting pictures wearing Superman capes at Walmart and buying superman products for their kids due to this promotion?

Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. They might have doubled, tripled, quadrupled or turn a profit 10x this investment by selling superman merchandise from this promotion.

We don't know. 

• Like 6

Who knows how business works.  There could have been all kinds of backdoor deals with Walmart and Warner Brothers.  There could be some kind of exclusivity clause in their deal for future projects. 

I think I read in one of the numerous articles that part of the deal was that Walmart would be the exclusive ticket seller. Thus no other previews.

• Like 1

Why was Walmart selling the tickets at a loss?

Yeah, this Walmart thing makes no sense. How can you buy tickets at $12 per ticket and sell them for less? That makes no business sense at all. If it happened then it happened. But, I can't figure out how it could happen.

Anyways hope im3 goes to 400 this weekend.Great total blah legs but for a threequel great.Fast six looks to cruise to 240++++

Most importantly the 3rd film became the highest grossing of the franchise adjusted for inflation.  Very rare.

Yeah, this Walmart thing makes no sense. How can you buy tickets at $12 per ticket and sell them for less? That makes no business sense at all. If it happened then it happened. But, I can't figure out how it could happen.

It makes total business sense.  Read what others are saying above.

Do you want me to tell you the amount of times I saw my facebook friends posting pictures wearing Superman capes at Walmart and buying superman products for their kids due to this promotion?

Walmart is the largest retailer in the world. They might have doubled, tripled, quadrupled or turn a profit 10x this investment by selling superman merchandise from this promotion.

We don't know. 

Some of the merchandising $$ goes to WB so the studio wins again.