#ED

Wknd Est: MU - 46.1M; The Heat - 40M; WWZ - 29.8M; WHD - 25.7M; MoS - 20.8M; (pg 104)

It doesn't help that Foxx isn't a draw in the slightest. Django's success had nothing to do with him.

If this assessment has some validity, and I'm not saying it doesn't, then why was Django so big? Leo didn't carry that film alone, nor Waltz or SLJ.

Now, if it has merit in what you surmise the pro-TASM2 crowd has a new concern(they think there are none currently, fyi) to deal with. 

Did black people go see Django "because Jamie Foxx is in it"?

Most of them, yes. You think we're gonna see a movie about slaves just because? I didnt even want to see Django at first, but after hearing praise for Jamie (and Leo) I decided to see it and liked it. Same was for WHD, he brought AA's just like Tatum bringing teen girls. JF is huge in the black community and people respect him. Edited by LeFlop James
  • Like 1

Saw Jaimie Foxx wore a Travon Martin shirt at the BET awards.

So glad WHD tanked.  He is a turd of the highest order.

God damn, I just don't even know what to say to you any more without getting in trouble, so I won't....but damn.

Edited by Cmasterclay

Alot of them, yes. You think we're gonna see a movie about slaves just because? I didnt even want to see Django at first, but after hearing praise for Jamie (and Leo) I decided to see it and liked it. Same was for WHD, he brought AA's just like Tatum bringing teen girls. JF is huge in the black community and people respect him.

Okay. I just thought that Jamie Foxx wouldn't be much of a draw when you also have SLJ, Leo and Tarantino involved.

If this assessment has some validity, and I'm not saying it doesn't, then why was Django so big? Leo didn't carry that film alone, nor Waltz or SLJ.

Now, if it has merit in what you surmise the pro-TASM2 crowd has a new concern(they think there are none currently, fyi) to deal with. 

Tarantino, controversial-ish premise, novelty of Leo as villain, good reviews, only film of its kind out at Christmas, solid/fun marketing, etc.

Short of surveying every single person who saw it there's no way to know for sure, but I feel safe in saying any black actor could have played that part and it would make similar numbers. Had Will Smith taken QT's offer of the part the film would have made even more, of course. 

Edited by Hatebox

Okay. I just thought that Jamie Foxx wouldn't be much of a draw when you also have SLJ, Leo and Tarantino involved.

SLJ > Foxx/Leo > Tarantino honestly is how we see it. Now if you had Morgan Freeman in there...

Tarantino, controversial-ish premise, novelty of Leo as villain, good reviews, only film of its kind out at Christmas, solid/fun marketing, etc.

Short of surveying every single person who saw it there's no way to know for sure, but I feel safe in saying any black actor could have played that part and it would make similar numbers. Had Will Smith taken QT's offer of the part the film would have made even more, of course. 

, I don't mean to sound like one of those "I have black friends" posers, but for real, I grew up in a very African American area and almost all my closest friends are black, and I can assure you, nearly all of them saw Django because Jamie Foxx was in it. And my white friends saw it for Leo. older people I know saw it for QT. 

, I don't mean to sound like one of those "I have black friends" posers, but for real, I grew up in a very African American area and almost all my closest friends are black, and I can assure you, nearly all of them saw Django because Jamie Foxx was in it. And my white friends saw it for Leo. older people I know saw it for QT. 

Producers prefer the euphemism 'the urban market'. :lol:

Edited by Hatebox

I don't think WHD will drop hard. 

I think a good 4th weekend will show where this is headed. If TLR tanks and this holds well, then like NYSM or STiD, it might look alright in the end. I think there is no need to panic till after this weekends numbers come in. 

Tarantino, controversial-ish premise, novelty of Leo as villain, good reviews, only film of its kind out at Christmas, solid/fun marketing, etc. Short of surveying every single person who saw it there's no way to know for sure, but I feel safe in saying any black actor could have played that part and it would make similar numbers. Had Will Smith taken QT's offer of the part the film would have made even more, of course.

Im black and I can go ahead and tell you most people I saw cared about Jamie and Leo more than anything else, even Tarantino or controversy. And you can even throw Kerry Washington in there, shes big with black females. That Jamie/Kerry duo was a big draw too. Remember, this is a forum, and most GA dont think like we do.
  • Like 1