Plain Old Tele

If movies were reviewed like video games

As someone who struggles to find inspired writing with game reviews, this hits way too close to home.

The shackles of graphics/gameplay/sound/etc makes writing a natural game review...difficult.

• Like 1

World War Z has a great story. A lot of people talk in it and things keep happening, which makes it cinematic.

:lol:

The camera never falls over during a scene. Actors are always in frame. The film runs at a steady 24 frames per second with very few frame drops. SinceWorld War Z has a big enough budget to ensure that it doesn't have any glaring mistakes, we're happy to say that it will at least score a 7/10.

:lol:

World War Z clocks in at 116 minutes, so it passes our dollar-to-entertainment ratio test with flying colors.

;)

• Community Manager

As someone who struggles to find inspired writing with game reviews, this hits way too close to home.

The shackles of graphics/gameplay/sound/etc makes writing a natural game review...difficult.

Sounds to me like video game reviews need to break out of that formula. The only time sound in a video game should be brought up is if it's impressive or downright terrible. No reason to bring it up if it was passable, average, or merely good. Seriously: movie reviews could follow similar shackles but they don't. They talk about how the movie came across as a whole but there's no guarantee it'll bring things up like cinematography, acting, sound design, costume design, set design, music, or any other scores of things that go into making a movie.

As a note these reviews are probably good:

http://gameological.com/category/review/

It's gaming reviews from people who approach it like they approached movie/tv show reviews: taking the whole thing into consideration as a whole rather than breaking it up into segments.

Sounds to me like video game reviews need to break out of that formula. The only time sound in a video game should be brought up is if it's impressive or downright terrible. No reason to bring it up if it was passable, average, or merely good. Seriously: movie reviews could follow similar shackles but they don't. They talk about how the movie came across as a whole but there's no guarantee it'll bring things up like cinematography, acting, sound design, costume design, set design, music, or any other scores of things that go into making a movie.

As a note these reviews are probably good:

http://gameological.com/category/review/

It's gaming reviews from people who approach it like they approached movie/tv show reviews: taking the whole thing into consideration as a whole rather than breaking it up into segments.

I find the Gamelogical Society sometimes overly smug in their writing, but their structure is nice, I admit. But because a game experience can differ so wildly, sometimes following a more natural structure can be more difficult. For example, it's hard to discuss a review of Madden without breaking down its individual components. Because the experience is already something you are wholly familiar with, it's a matter of what tweaks they've made individually to make it ever so slightly better.

But when IGN and Gamespot used to be the most prolific sites out there, it set forth a bad precedent, including one for myself. I'm glad that we're slowly moving away from it.

spunkgargleweewee FTW

That said, while Yahtzee is very funny, he nitpicks the hell out of shit and he has very specific, unforgiving personal preferences, so the result is he disapproves of some truly great games.

Edited by 4815162342

spunkgargleweewee FTW

That said, while Yahtzee is very funny, he nitpicks the hell out of shit and he has very specific, unforgiving personal preferences, so the result is he disapproves of some truly great games.

I'm not sure if he actually disapproves of the games so much as nitpicks in order to entertain his audience.

He definitely has a persona which he plays up to, but you can tell that beyond the jokes he really believes video gaming has hit a creative wall and needs some genuine innovation. I guess I empathise with him because I feel the same way about movie blockbusters.

Edited by Hatebox