CJohn

Wednesday Numbers | Despicable Me 2 - 34M | The Lone Ranger - 9.67M | Kevin Hart - 4.9M

TLR needs to hit at the very least $500m WW to have a slim chance in hell of breaking even. Even making half of that seems kinda unlikely.

Edited by C00k13

I think bombing standards are different for a $50-70 million movie than they are for a $250 million movie. If the budget is small the movie can have a horrible theatrical run and may still make money in the long term thanks to TV and other home media sources of revenues. Movie like TLR need to make decent amount of money during their theatrical runs or they will never break even.

I'm pretty sure the majority of movies break even in the long haul - maybe 30 or 40 years later, but they all break even at some point, aside from maybe Pluto Nash or a few ultra bombs.

But kids movies are the most trailer sensitive movies - if it doesn't garner a big reaction from the kiddies... probably not going to make much money, like Planes for example :DAction movies are in the middle - if they have an interesting premise and a good star like the Rock, or Mark Wahlberg - $20 million opening weekend is pretty guarenteed, with a few exceptions like Snitch of course.

True when it comes to trailers, but we were talking about the RT score only my friend.

I'm pretty sure the majority of movies break even in the long haul - maybe 30 or 40 years later, but they all break even at some point, aside from maybe Pluto Nash or a few ultra bombs.

I think so too but major studios live and die by quarterly and annual results so a movie not breaking even within a year or so is bad for their bottomline.

Fantastic to see DM2 selling out showings before they started selling out on opening day. If the evenings/afternoons are comparable to yesterday it looks to have a small drop from OD today so far.

Sorry if i sound like a broke record, just wanna give you guys info. So, its storming here...heavy rain/ some flooding, winds, and thunder. I checked a few theaters, its 3:21pm here and DM2 has already sold out 3 and 4 oclock shows. Todays looking like movies > cookouts.

Edited by jandrew