mahnamahna

How many films on the "1001 Movies to See Before You Die" list have you seen?

1 The Princess Bride2 Grave of the Fireflies3 Die Hard4 Terminator 2:Judgement Day5 The Silence of the Lambs6 Reservoir Dogs7 Unforgiven8 Groundhog Day9 Schindler's List10 Forrest Gump11 The Lion King13 Pulp Fiction14 The Shawshank Redemption15 Braveheart16 Toy Story17 Se7en18 The Usual Suspects19 Fargo20 Princess Mononoke21 L.A. Confidential22 Saving Private Ryan23 Fight Club24 The Matrix25 The Sixth Sense26 Gladiator27 Spirited Away28 The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring29 The Departed30 Akira31 Jurassic Park32 Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon33 A Fish Called Wanda34 Who Framed Roger Rabbit35 Batman36 Roger and Me37 Total Recall38 Titanic39 Moulin Rouge40 Brokeback Mountain41 Fatal Attraction42 Four Weddings and a Funeral43 Babe44 Independence Day45 The Dark Knight46 Slumdog Millionaire47 Avatar48 District 949 Inglourious Basterds50 Black Swan51 Inception52 The King's Speech53 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers54 The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King55 The Sting56 Chinatown57 One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest58 Monty Python and the Holy Grail59 Jaws60 Taxi Driver61 Star Wars62 Alien63 Life of Brian64 The Empire Strikes Back65 Raiders of the Lost Ark66 The Thing67 Blade Runner69 Return of the Jedi70 The Terminator71 Back to the Future72 Stand by Me73 Aliens74 Platoon75 Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory76 Ordinary People77 E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial78 Ghostbusters79 The Breakfast Club80 Ferris Bueller's Day Off81 Grease82 Terms of Endearment83 Beverly Hills Cop84 Top Gun85 Rear Window86 Vertigo87 Some Like It Hot88 Psycho89 To Kill a Mockingbird90 The Great Escape91 The Good, The Bad and the Ugly92 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid93 Rebel Without a Cause94 Breakfast at Tiffany's95 The Birds96 Goldfinger97 My Fair Lady98 The Sound of Music99 Planet of the Apes100 Giant101 The Jungle Book102 The Wizard of Oz103 Gone with the Wind104 Strangers on a Train105 Singin' in the Rain106 Snow White and the Seven Dwarves107 Fantasia108 Pinocchio109 Dumbo110 The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo111 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy112 Drive113 Bridesmaids114 The Descendants115 HugoIn the order they appear in this list:http://www.imdb.com/list/0CDu0uBkK3I/

[*]Grave of the Fireflies

[*]Reservoir Dogs

[*]Unforgiven

[*]Pulp Fiction

[*]Se7en

[*]Fargo

[*]Princess Mononoke

[*]L.A. Confidential

[*]Fight Club

[*]Spirited Away

[*]The Departed

[*]Akira

[*]Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

[*]A Fish Called Wanda

[*]Roger and Me

[*]Total Recall

[*]Moulin Rouge

[*]Four Weddings and a Funeral

[*]Black Swan

[*]The Sting

[*]Taxi Driver

[*]Life of Brian

[*]The Thing

[*]Blade Runner

[*]Ordinary People

[*]Terms of Endearment

[*]Vertigo

[*]The Great Escape

[*]My Fair Lady

[*]Giant

[*]Gone with the Wind

[*]Strangers on a Train

[*]The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

[*]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

[*]Drive

[*]Bridesmaids

[*]

West Side Story

[*]

There Will Be Blood

[*]

Apocalypse Now

[*]

The Marriage of Maria Braun

In the order they appear in this list:

http://www.imdb.com/list/0CDu0uBkK3I/

Alright! I've got 40 films on my must-watch list now... this is great!

Although I did find some of the omissions surprising... am I the only one who was wondering things like "Where's Miracle on 34th Street?" or "Where's Bambi?" - stuff like that?

• Like 1

Although I did find some of the omissions surprising... am I the only one who was wondering things like "Where's Miracle on 34th Street?" or "Where's Bambi?" - stuff like that?

I thought the omission of East of Eden and the inclusion of Giant was surprising. The former is superior in every way. There were others, but those films were toward the end of the list so I remember it better.
  • Like 1

I thought the omission of East of Eden and the inclusion of Giant was surprising. The former is superior in every way. There were others, but those films were toward the end of the list so I remember it better.

I've never watched East of Eden - I know it has James Dean, and it's directed by Elia Kazan but I've never seen it.

Here's 25 I'd say ought to be on the list:

The Pride of the Yankees (1942)

Bambi (1942)

National Velvet (1944)

The Yearling (1946)

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

Cinderella (1950)

Gojira (1954)

Lady and the Tramp (1955)

Old Yeller (1957)

The Longest Day (1962)

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

Soylent Green (1973)

Logan's Run (1975)

Animal House (1978)

Superman (1978)

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Trading Places (1983)

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

Christmas Vacation (1989)

The Little Mermaid (1989)

Aladdin (1992)

Finding Nemo (2003)

Anchorman (2004)

Spider-Man 2 (2004)

Iron Man (2008)

Up (2009)

There's others that should be there but those are 25 off the top of my head

@75live

179 out of the first 200?! Yeah I'm gonna guess you've seen over half of it at least! Nice job, sir!! :)

I'm trying to pick 100 movies from the list to watch over the next year before I go to college and begin learning about Film Production with a second major that could be either Marketing, Theatre, or History. I've got 40 so far (in the list above) and I've seen 187/1099 (172/1001 if we go by the 2012 list)

Any ones you've seen that I didn't list among these 40 that you would recommend?

[*]Grave of the Fireflies [*]Reservoir Dogs [*]Unforgiven [*]Pulp Fiction [*]Se7en [*]Fargo [*]Princess Mononoke [*]L.A. Confidential [*]Fight Club [*]Spirited Away [*]The Departed [*]Akira [*]Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon [*]A Fish Called Wanda [*]Roger and Me [*]Total Recall [*]Moulin Rouge [*]Four Weddings and a Funeral [*]Black Swan [*]The Sting [*]Taxi Driver [*]Life of Brian [*]The Thing [*]Blade Runner [*]Ordinary People [*]Terms of Endearment [*]Vertigo [*]The Great Escape [*]My Fair Lady [*]Giant [*]Gone with the Wind [*]Strangers on a Train [*]The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo [*]Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy [*]Drive [*]Bridesmaids [*]

West Side Story

[*]

There Will Be Blood

[*]

Apocalypse Now

[*]

The Marriage of Maria Braun

Edited by mahnamahna

If you want to, sure! I'm just baffled that you've seen that many on the list! Really that's an amazing achievement you've got there... although I probably wouldn't list all 388 movies :lol:

:lol:

There are many that I should've seen but haven't, and a bunch of others that I've seen parts of, but can't really say I've seen all of them. 

@75live

179 out of the first 200?! Yeah I'm gonna guess you've seen over half of it at least! Nice job, sir!! :)

Thanks.  :)

Yeah, I have seen a ton of movies in my lifetime.  Most of the ones i haven't seen are the foreign ones as growing up, I wasn't into them yet.  Obviously my tastes have expanded since then :P

:lol:

There are many that I should've seen but haven't, and a bunch of others that I've seen parts of, but can't really say I've seen all of them. 

I understand that - there's a couple movies where I've seen parts of it (Full Metal Jacket is a glaring example) but I haven't watched it in its entirety.

But that's still quite a list even if you take out the ones you've only seen parts of! :D

I'm hoping to get there soon enough... film by film. If it weren't for Instant Netflix and TCM, I wouldn't even have seen more than 50-60 of them lol.

Thanks.   :)

Yeah, I have seen a ton of movies in my lifetime.  Most of the ones i haven't seen are the foreign ones as growing up, I wasn't into them yet.  Obviously my tastes have expanded since then :P

Yeah, I haven't got into foreign films yet. The Bicycle Thief was excellent though... and most of Studio Ghibli's output is great especially Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. But I haven't watched any Kurosawa, Godard, Bergman, Renoir, Fellini- I've seen 2 Sergio Leone films though. I liked The Good, the Bad and the Ugly a lot - though the dubbing was a little off-putting at first since I thought it was an American movie :lol: now I know it's a spaghetti western!! No worries lol.

Most of the ones I've seen are from 1977-present day

If you took those out, I haven't seen nearly as many films... although it doesn't help that most of the movies I've seen aren't on the list - and I'm talking about good ones that would be considered classics.

These lists are a good guide for great films.I remember when I was 14 I thought stuff like Spiderman and x2 were the greatest films.Then I went down the imbd list and I was amazed...

Yep! Don't forget Shrek 1 & 2 lol! But I'd say Spider-Man 2 and X2 are still pretty great but they pale next to the classicsI'm pretty sure Mullholland Drive was on the list at some point. I thought RoboCop, Gremlins, and Goonies would be on here. Same with most of the Pixar films and arguably the 1st Shrek.I think some of the films on the list are simply there because they're old - a lot of them aren't even all time classics. Although since The Muppet Movie is on there, I can forgive omissions lol