The Spectacular Now (2013)

16 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

As someone heading off to college this fall, a lot of this movie really hit home with me.

It's really good stuff. It makes for a good companion to The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, one portraying the start of a high school journey, while this one tackles the ending. Miles Teller is great as the protagonist, who feels like a really believable character, and his chemistry with Woodley also really works. It certainly feels like a modern day John Hughes tribute for the indie set, and it really works in many regards.

I also like how it, for the most part, at least, doesn't fall victim to the major tropes of the teen indie dramedy, (though I'll admit that it falls into a few.) But hey, it's the epitome of 'I laughed, I cried.' It's a smart, surprising, and thoughtful experience that begins to round out a really great summer for independent cinema.

B+

• Like 1

As someone going to college in the fall, none of this really hit home with me. It was a pretty generic teen drama movie until, well... THAT scene happened, and then it took a step above the rest. Woodley was pretty good but not like wow or whatever. 

I felt as though the movie leads you to believing that it's a generic indie teen drama, only to blind side you as the film progresses. For all the cliches it hits, it manages to avoid some more common ones.

Also, at the festival screening I was at, the scene where Woodley's character gets hit with the car caused some epic reactions.

I felt as though the movie leads you to believing that it's a generic indie teen drama, only to blind side you as the film progresses. For all the cliches it hits, it manages to avoid some more common ones.

Also, at the festival screening I was at, the scene where Woodley's character gets hit with the car caused some epic reactions.

OK, this just turned into a movie that for me is like: Not gonna watch it. Then I see what you wrote there, and I'm like: I'm going to watch it just because of that, but I'm not sure If I want to watch it because I spoiled it.

OK, this just turned into a movie that for me is like: Not gonna watch it. Then I see what you wrote there, and I'm like: I'm going to watch it just because of that, but I'm not sure If I want to watch it because I spoiled it.

By epic, I mainly mean that there was a ton of shock. These girls I was sitting in front of let out an audible gasp. The scene's really well executed.

My one complaint is that the consequences aren't as severe as they really should have been (she gets better in a matter of time) but I can't really complain, since this is ultimately Teller's story.

Since I liked Smashed a lot, I am really looking forward to this. People who haven't seen Miles Teller before need to check out Rabbit Hole, since he is absolutely terrific in that and it shows how talented he is.

Agree so much with this whole post. 

By epic, I mainly mean that there was a ton of shock. These girls I was sitting in front of let out an audible gasp. The scene's really well executed.My one complaint is that the consequences aren't as severe as they really should have been (she gets better in a matter of time)

That's my biggest problem with it too. But, it's a damn good movie otherwise.
  • Like 1

In short, it's just as good.

To expand a little bit, it's a different examination of high school life. Charlie is an introverted Freshman trying to find where he belongs in high school, while Sutter is a party animal senior, eager to live in the 'now' and seemingly careless about going to college. Both work as remarkable coming of age stories, though one is trying to make high school memories, and the other is stuck in them.

• Like 1

How does this compare to Perks?

I'll be in the minority but I don't think it touches Perks.  But I did think it was pretty fantastic.  Teller and Woodley do deserve noms but that's not going to happen.  But yea, Perks was a different level kind of movie for me.  A nearly perfect film.