Ezen Baklattan

BoxOffice.com's Top 25 Franchises (LIST REVEALED AT 8:30PM ET TONIGHT!!)

But I think I'm the only one who actually weighed each individual film in the franchise and its relative quality rather than just picking random franchises I passively enjoy  :P

That's the thing though. a franchise isn't about having a great film with x number of great sequels. It's about a universe/character.

The Toy storys are awesome films, but they are awesome because of the films not the universe that they are in or the focal character they revolve around.

Something like NIghtmare on Elm Street is the epitomy of a great franchise. People are always interested in a new direction for Freddy Krueger, what can be done with him next? The same with Rocky, Rambo, Indiana Jones and so forth. The character and the universe are the bread and butter of the film and are its strength.

With Toy Story, people just want another great film. It doesn't matter the setting, the premise or even the lead character (Woody one film, Buzz the next... is fine).

This for me makes the Toy Story's great films but not a great franchise (Cars is arguably more of a franchise in my eyes).  

I don't know if anybody gets what i am trying to mean there or not :)

• Like 2

That's the thing though. a franchise isn't about having a great film with x number of great sequels. It's about a universe/character.

The Toy storys are awesome films, but they are awesome because of the films not the universe that they are in or the focal character they revolve around.

Something like NIghtmare on Elm Street is the epitomy of a great franchise. People are always interested in a new direction for Freddy Krueger, what can be done with him next? The same with Rocky, Rambo, Indiana Jones and so forth. The character and the universe are the bread and butter of the film and are its strength.

With Toy Story, people just want another great film. It doesn't matter the setting, the premise or even the lead character (Woody one film, Buzz the next... is fine).

This for me makes the Toy Story's great films but not a great franchise (Cars is arguably more of a franchise in my eyes).  

I don't know if anybody gets what i am trying to mean there or not :)

I kinda disagree -- the universe that's created is great and important and all, but if the movies aren't any good, it's all a moot point.

Then again, I suppose that's why I'm only gonna have 15 franchises on my list. :P

1. Harry Potter                

2. Pirates of the Caribbean    

3. The Matrix                  

4. The Lord of the Rings

5. Spider-Man                  

6. Toy Story                

7. Scream                      

8. Alien                    

9. X-Men                      

10. Planet of the Apes          

11. The Chronicles of Narnia

12. Shrek                    

13. Jurassic Park            

14. Avengers                    

15. Star Wars          

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

1. Middle Earth2. Godfather3. Star Wars4. Indiana Jones5. Die Hard6. Back to the Future7. Ocean's 1x8. Mission: Impossible9. Toy Story10. Harry Potter11. Beverly Hills Cop12. Porky's13. American Pie14. Batman15. Matrix16. Shrek17. Pirates of the Caribbean18. Bourne19. Avengers20. Rocky21. James Bond22. Superman23. Jurassic Park24. Mad Max25. Alien

1. Toy Story2. The Man with No Name3. Middle-Earth (LOTR + The Hobbit)4. The Godfather5. Bourne6. Star Wars (would be #1 if not for TPM and AOTC)7. Jack Ryan8. Superman9. Indiana Jones10. Ocean’s11. Rocky12. The MCU13. Harry Potter14. Mission: Impossible15. Batman16. Die Hard17. Jurassic Park18. Terminator19. Alien20. Star Trek21. James Bond22. X-Men23. Spider-Man24. The Matrix25. Predator

Edited by 4815162342

Not counting posts in this thread, I currently have...

1. mahnamanah

2. Goffe

3. Squaremaster316

4. Michael Gary Scott

5. Walt Disney

6. grey ghost

7. 75Live

8. chasmmi

9. Olive

10. tiffybaumer

11. 4815162342

And these have been posted in the actual thread.

12. Karl Ruger - The Stingray

13. peludo

13 is good, especially with two weeks remaining, but hopefully we can get some more in here! :D

Edited by Spaghetti

Ask and ye shall receive!

1. The Godfather
2. LOTR
3. Indiana Jones
4. Star Wars
5. Toy Story
6. Terminator
7. The Man with No Name
8. Mad Max
9. Back to the Future
10. Batman
11. Bond
12. Jack Ryan
13. Alien Saga
14. Star Trek
15. Matrix
15. Mission: Impossible

Many of these are significantly hurt by poor recent entries (I'm including the AVP crap in the Alien universe).
Edited by Telemachos