Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Too high of expectations. But I think people are overreacting and trying very hard to hate on this for no reason. I do think that if there is one film getting some sort of ‘Jurassic World’ effect, however how mild, it’s this one. I don’t buy this opening below $100m domestically. I would be more surprised if this opens below $100m, I don’t care what the projections are saying currently. I think that this one will be very walk up heavy.

I amnot hating on this, and will be there Friday night  the 30thm,but I am not optimistic  I think it will open well open well below 100 Million. Those Projections are not good, and I  can't think they are that far off. Maybe 10 or 15% off, but not 3o to 40%,

I am a huge Indy fan, but I think it is better to  accept reality rather then live in denial.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Define carictature. The Nazis were indeed evil...but the evil was not just a over the top melodramatic as in the Indy films.

One reason why Spielbere did not direct this movie is becuase, after giving a very realistic and accurate portrayal of Nazis in "Schelndler's List" he could not go back to the comic book level villiany of the Indy films. He had no problem with producing a film like that, but did not feel he could direct it.

Exactly that a bit over-the-top melodramatic, a bit one-dimensional, and comical portrayal of them in Indy films...but my comment was meant to be just a light-hearted joke to Zatt's comment on how racist the Indy trilogy was, and not so much any critic for Indy movies. I loved the way how nazis were those comic characters in Indy. It worked with the overall adventure spirit of the movie that didn't take itself too seriously.

16 minutes ago, Phoenix22 said:

I'm sad for the franchise, do you guys think that this will be the final nail in the franchise? Like I know there's the videogame coming but I feel like a good series on D+ could bring new life with a new protagonist because I feel like Harrison was the one that ended up dragging the franchise. 

I assume the game will have a new actor both for audio and visuals. Why Hollywood has not worked that out whilst Bond is sitting right there is beyond me.

Just now, Sckathian said:

I assume the game will have a new actor both for audio and visuals. Why Hollywood has not worked that out whilst Bond is sitting right there is beyond me.

I always wondered why Lucasarts..when it was still doing it;s own games and not contracting them out....had so many great Star Wars Games, but only a couple of decent Indy game. most Indy games were dissapontements. In face, the only one I consider a classic is 

Indy Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis.

3 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

Exactly that a bit over-the-top melodramatic, a bit one-dimensional, and comical portrayal of them in Indy films...but my comment was meant to be just a light-hearted joke to Zatt's comment on how racist the Indy trilogy was, and not so much any critic for Indy movies. I loved the way how nazis were those comic characters in Indy. It worked with the overall adventure spirit of the movie that didn't take itself too seriously.

I didn’t say that Indy’s trilogy is racist. I was commenting about Temple of Doom. Growing up that was my favorite Indy film.

• Like 1

Not sure why some of you are shocked at the tracking. Reviews are meh. This is tracking awful with the 35 below crowed. Pre sales have been weak and buzz is low. Not to mention the last Indy movie didn’t leave people craving for another film. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PrinceRico said:

Not sure why some of you are shocked at the tracking. Reviews are meh. This is tracking awful with the 35 below crowed. Pre sales have been weak and buzz is low. Not to mention the last Indy movie didn’t leave people craving for another film. 

As a huge Indy fan, and someone who hoped this would be really good,Isadly I have to agree.

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Too high of expectations. But I think people are overreacting and trying very hard to hate on this for no reason. I do think that if there is one film getting some sort of ‘Jurassic World’ effect, however how mild, it’s this one. I don’t buy this opening below $100m domestically. I would be more surprised if this opens below $100m, I don’t care what the projections are saying currently. I think that this one will be very walk up heavy.

Like Dudalb, I don't hate it either. It's such a strong word. I might feel a bit sad and disappointed about it which is redundant because I haven't seen it and it hasn't come out yet. Mostly I'm just analyzing without any big emotions based on lessons learned in the past and what I've seen so far about it. And at the same time, I wouldn't sell it short yet BO wise. It might very well break even and turn out to be even a summer crowdpleaser. I have a hunch too that it'll make better than most anticipate right now.

But I rather set my expectations low, lower, and then be pleasantly surprised or in the worst case, it was what I expected.

Something that has not been brought up. For a while Indy was, in a way in the Marvel universe since Marvel published an "Further Adventures of Indiana Jones"series  in addtion to the comic book adaptations of the movies in the 80's. In the 90's the licence went to Dark Horse.

Edited by dudalb

10 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I always wondered why Lucasarts..when it was still doing it;s own games and not contracting them out....had so many great Star Wars Games, but only a couple of decent Indy game. most Indy games were dissapontements. In face, the only one I consider a classic is 

Indy Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis.

Totally agree on both points!

12 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I amnot hating on this, and will be there Friday night  the 30thm,but I am not optimistic  I think it will open well open well below 100 Million. Those Projections are not good, and I  can't think they are that far off. Maybe 10 or 15% off, but not 3o to 40%,

I am a huge Indy fan, but I think it is better to  accept reality rather then live in denial.

I rarely take wild swings with my box office predictions these days. I understand people feeling anxious after Cannes, but at same time I still think there is a lot of time for this film to gather some quite considerable good will. My point, to compare with a parallel situation: I don’t see how Flash can get the audience’s attention even if it gets some decent WOM because there is no build up. Indiana Jones might be a different story, if keeps getting good reviews and WOM, I expect to open bigger than what the tracking is seeing currently. Film still has time to get that. I wouldn’t be mad if I was wrong, but it’s just a strong hunch.

I always though the real bad guys in raiders and  crusade were bellac and donovon....two people who    sell their souls to the devils (nazis) to get what they wanted....it's actually pretty much what a ton of people ended up doing n reality during the nazi occupation of Europe and the ussr

Edited by screambaby
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, screambaby said:

I always though the real bad guys in raiders and  crusade were bellac and donovon....two people who    sell their souls to the devils (nazis) to get what they wanted....it's actually pretty much what a ton of people ended up doing n reality during the nazi occupation of Europe and the ussr

They had those pretty good moral lessons that a child could understand intrinsically if not consciously...in addition to not selling your soul to nazis.

13 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I rarely take wild swings with my box office predictions these days. I understand people feeling anxious after Cannes, but at same time I still think there is a lot of time for this film to gather some quite considerable good will. My point, to compare with a parallel situation: I don’t see how Flash can get the audience’s attention even if it gets some decent WOM because there is no build up. Indiana Jones might be a different story, if keeps getting good reviews and WOM, I expect to open bigger than what the tracking is seeing currently. Film still has time to get that. I wouldn’t be mad if I was wrong, but it’s just a strong hunch.

Problem is I have come to accept that the under 30 crowd are simply not interested in this movie. Of course there are exceptions,but I htink you  needed a really strong reception to get the under 30 crowd interested, it is not getting that.

8 minutes ago, von Kenni said:

They had those pretty good moral lessons that a child could understand intrinsically if not consciously...in addition to not selling your soul to nazis.

Oh, I could think of some contemporay poltiticans in the US who have pretty much sold their souls to the devil..forgetting that the devil alwlays comes around to collect.

4 minutes ago, WorkingonaName said:

They should just recast Indy TBH., Imagine if we got Sean Connery doing Skyfall. 

No. Indiana Jones is different. He isn’t 007. I’m sure that 10 to 20 years from now we will get a reboot. Right now though? Let Harrison Ford do his thing. He definitely still can pull it off one last time and become Red Hulk in the MCU even as an octogenarian.

• Like 1