Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

3 hours ago, InVy said:

I don't want to be ageist but this film was doomed from conception. Harrison is too old (mind you, I watched the latest MI before it and thought the same about Cruise). After this 1-2 punch I think action films should be with young actors period.

Not necessarily. Keanu wasn't exactly "young" at the point he made John Wick. The problem with Indy was:

he wasn't just old but ANCIENT

and

he acted ANCIENT too. Weird because Connery seemed pretty spry as his dad back in Last Crusade. But most people don't want to see the "Indy is old and depressed and has PTSD over his dead son" movie.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 5:35 PM, WittyUsername said:

Harrison Ford was pushing 80 when this was filmed. Of course he was too old to continue being an action star. People already thought he was too old back in 2008. 

John Wayne got away with playing action roles into his 70's but those days are past, I guess.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

John Wayne got away with playing action roles into his 70's but those days are past, I guess.

I think that's because Westerns are more forgiving. Did you see 1924 (a prestige TV Western where Ford & Helen Mirren play the patriarch/matriarch of the main family)? I thought Harrison Ford worked well there and it reads as a "action" role here as Ford confronts people on horseback and participates in the expected big gunfight. 

Ford's age is written into the script but he doesn't feel nearly as limited as he does in IJ5 (even when both films involve him galloping on a horse) because tension gets more folded into the expected action economy of a western than death defying stunts.

Edited by PlatnumRoyce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PlatnumRoyce said:

I think that's because Westerns are more forgiving. Did you see 1924 (a prestige TV Western where Ford & Helen Mirren play the patriarch/matriarch of the main family)? I thought Harrison Ford worked well there and it reads as a "action" role here as Ford confronts people on horseback and participates in the expected big gunfight. 

Ford's age is written into the script but he doesn't feel nearly as limited as he does in IJ5 (even when both films involve him galloping on a horse) because tension gets more folded into the expected action economy of a western than death defying stunts.

Maybe, but John Wayne did action scenes in his final film..a Western..."The Shootist".

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Maybe, but John Wayne did action scenes in his final film..a Western..."The Shootist".

Well, John Wayne would have 68 (maybe 67) when he recorded "The Shootist". That's still a decade younger than Harrison Ford on The Dial of Destiny.

Edited by Kon

The rest of movie was meh, but the opening sequence with young Indy? I will rewatch that over and over for a while.

Perfect Cat GIF by Amanda

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

and Ford did some in 1923. I think Ford would be clearly up to something like what's pictured below (and the film's initial scene). I could be overestimating ford but even though it's a less physical role than a film version focused on Ford's character would be I think you can squint and see how that film would work. 

The advantage the Shootist has over IJ5 is that the actual stuntwork and traversal can be limited without the audience feeling as if the film is avoiding something. IJ5's constant car chases and limited running/climbing around booby trapped ancient temples can't disguise how much is being worked around because that's just the nature and promise of adventure movies. 

The scene below, on the other hand, reads a lot more like a normal western climax even if you think about it, you can see accommodations for age not seen in High Noon (which works with a 50 year old Gary Cooper). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mojoguy said:

Can't believe people are STILL talking about this movie.

Flash, Marvels, and Wish were all bigger flops. 

Hate to sayit, but there is a lot of "Agism" on this website.

• Like 1

Do not compare using old stars to black and white films doing it.  On B and W it is way easier to hide age and make movies like The Man who Shot Liberty vallance or Its a Wonderful Life (where one person plays someone in multiple decades).

2 hours ago, Human said:

Do not compare using old stars to black and white films doing it.  On B and W it is way easier to hide age and make movies like The Man who Shot Liberty vallance or Its a Wonderful Life (where one person plays someone in multiple decades).

2 hours ago, Human said:

You still se people playing charecters in multipple decades. I give you "Elvis" as an example.

On 4/9/2024 at 1:04 PM, Mojoguy said:

Can't believe people are STILL talking about this movie.

Flash, Marvels, and Wish were all bigger flops. 

Because it has much more cultural impact.  It made way more money and sold way better on home media than any of them.

For reception it was the best received ((I say this as somebody who thinks it is distinctly the worst Indy movie).  Flash has some hardocre fans and mostly haters (like me).  The Marvels and Wish I almost hear nothing but negative things about.  Meanwhile especially at church I will hear people at times praise Dial of Destiny.  Enough people enjoy it, and that results in being talked about more online.