Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

Forget competing w/ China. For US action films, India cant even beat Taiwan. IronMan3 is the latest - $12.3M vs $20M.

How many Hollywood movies grossed more than 10m?

Not too many. But Hollywood movies by and large don't do as well as local movies do. India does not have just one local film industry, almost every state has its own film industry with local superstars and megastars and the like.

The lower class in India watches movies in theaters where the price of a ticket is, at max, 35 rupees i.e. 70 cents. Most of them watch movies paying 10 rupees i.e. 20 cents. 

The audience for a Hollywood movie is completely different, they pay up to 500 rupees (10$) and as low as 100 rupees (2$) for a ticket. So it is pretty difficult for a Hollywood movie to make a lot of money in India. Also, Piracy is rampant in India.

YJHD looks to explode

Watched it today. It was the very definition of disposable cinema, good movie (Faaroque Sheikh's performance almost moved me to tears. His performance was so good that I called my dad the moment the movie was done (he plays the father) because of the amazing performance.) but nothing you will remember once the movie is done.

Edited by grim22

So looking like the OW record is about to be broken.  Pretty impressive as this looks really generic

It is highly generic. But it seems like the lull over the past few months have been really kind to this movie. Aashiqui 2 may be a blockbuster now, but it relied on word of mouth and legs more than people rushing out to see it, this was the first mini "event" movie in months altogether.

BOM rarely reports limited releases. MCN is better for that.

http://moviecitynews.com/2013/06/the-weekend-report-45/

1.5M OW. IS that a record for bollywood movie?

My Name is Khan opened to 1.9M in 2010.  Om Shanti Om to 1.8M in 2007.  3 Idiots 1.65M with a Wednesday opening in 2009.  Don 2 with 1.7M in 2011.  Talaash with 1.6M last fall, and there's probably a handful of others.  

To quote Nikki, not a record by any stretch, but very impressive nonetheless, as outside of SRK films (and a couple of Aamir Khan's), no Bollywood films really ever do that well here in the US (particularly for openings).

Edited by spizzer

YJHD has genuinely shocked me. I didn't have this pegged as a 100Cr earner even after watching the movie. Good on Ranbir Kapoor for now (most probably) having 2 100Cr+ earners which are completely unlike any other movie which crosses the 100Cr barrier.

Based on how Monday's looking, this could come close to 100 in the first week alone.  I really wish the industry shifted to reporting gross figures though, net figures seems silly.  They're less indicative of actual performance.

BOI reporting 11-12 crore Monday, so 73-74 crores through 4 days.  Its going to be close for a 100 crore opening week.

YJHD is officially having the most bonkers run I can remember a hindi movie have. No expectations from it, even the most optimistic projections were 75 Cr max since it has no Khans and is not an action movie and only targets a multiplex audience. This run is both unexpected and unprecedented.