Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

So if the Saturday does stay above 50 Crore, then the Bollywood movies which will have had a 50 Crore day will be

War - Opening day national holiday

Thugs of Hindustan - Opening day national holiday

Pathaan - OD, Day 2 national holiday, Day 4, Day 5

It's pretty much an unprecedented run we are witnessing already and it's just 4 days in so far.

1 minute ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

I have no sense for the Indian market so what kind of numbers are we looking at here? Over RRR? Challenging B2?

Depends on next week. Can either end up being the highest grossing domestic Hindi movie of all time with even less than expected holds from here on out, or the highest grossing domestic Indian movie of all time if holds are better than expected. All depends on the holds this coming week.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

I have no sense for the Indian market so what kind of numbers are we looking at here? Over RRR? Challenging B2?

if you are asking about overall India, then no it won't come close to Baahubali2. Right now, there is a big gap between 3rd place and 4th place. Pathaan will easily enter 4th place but won't enter top3. Top3 will stay the same - Baahubali2, KGF2, RRR.

This is the current order and approx numbers -

Baahubali2 is around 1350-1400Cr.

KGF2 - around 975Cr

RRR  - around 900Cr

Dangal/Baahubali1 - around 525Cr

If I have to guess, Pathaan will probably end in 550-700Cr range.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Depends on next week. Can either end up being the highest grossing domestic Hindi movie of all time with even less than expected holds from here on out, or the highest grossing domestic Indian movie of all time if holds are better than expected. All depends on the holds this coming week.

I would say there is zero chance of this happening if you are considering all Indian movies, not just Bollywood. It will likely become highest domestic grossing Bollywood movie but it will end up grossing roughly half of Baahubali2 in India.

8 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

is $100m gross possible? That would be really impressive for a bollywood movie. Dangal was under $80m based on then exchange rates if I am not wrong. Still a huge increase from Dangal is uber impressive. Can any other movie challenge these numbers in the near future?

are you asking just about Domestic or WW ? It should cross $100M Worldwide but I don't think it will cross $100M domestic. Under current exchange rates, Dangal would have been around $65M

34 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

if you are asking about overall India, then no it won't come close to Baahubali2. Right now, there is a big gap between 3rd place and 4th place. Pathaan will easily enter 4th place but won't enter top3. Top3 will stay the same - Baahubali2, KGF2, RRR.

This is the current order and approx numbers -

Baahubali2 is around 1350-1400Cr.

KGF2 - around 975Cr

RRR  - around 900Cr

Dangal - around 525Cr

If I have to guess, Pathaan will probably end in 550-700Cr range.

what magic trick did baahubali 2 pull to gross nearly 3x the first one?

31 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

what magic trick did baahubali 2 pull to gross nearly 3x the first one?

Lot of it is because Baahubali1 didn't operate at its full potential at Indian Boxoffice, specifically North Indian boxoffice. Baahubali1 was primarily a Telugu language movie (South Indian movie), not a Bollywood movie. It was actually quite an ambitious and risky project because the budget at the point of time was way higher than a typical Telugu movie budget and in-order for it to be quite profitable, it not only had to become highest grosser in Telugu but also had to do decently in other dubbed languages which was not at all guaranteed. There was some optimism about it doing decently in other dubbed South Indian languages but the big question mark was Hindi (Bollywood) where the market is huge but South Indian dub movies rarely do well there

Before the release of Baahubali1, highest collections of a South Indian dubbed movie in Hindi was just 20Cr. And most of Baahubali1's cast and crew weren't really familiar to moviegoing Bollywood audience. Baahubali1 team did decent promotions, marketing in Hindi and sold the rights to Karan Johar (a big Bollywood producer/director) who helped in getting good release for the movie. It ended up opening 5Cr+ on opening day, 15Cr+ on opening weekend and had a crazy run due to exceptional WOM and ended up grossing 150Cr in final run just in Hindi (more than 7 times that of prev highest among South Indian dub movies).  It was also battling a huge Bollywood big movie from it 2nd week of run onwards but didn't slow down. In a way, Baahubali1 release is one of the most notable moments of Indian industry just because it opened up  huge Hindi market for South Indian Dub movies. Since then, there have been lot more big South Indian movies that have started dubbing and releasing movies regularly in North India. Success rate is still low but when it clicks it just blows up big. KGF, RRR wouldn't have grossed this much in India if not for Baahubali1's success.

Baahubali1 also ended on a huge cliffhanger which instantly raised curiosity on Baahubali2. There was roughly 20 month gap between both the first & second part releases and during that time Baahubali's reach in North India grew due to repeated TV telecasts and by the time of release, pretty much all the parts of country and all types of audience were hyped up for the movie...that happens very very rarely in India.

In terms of footfalls, there wasn't huge difference between Baahubali1 & Baahubali2 footfalls in South India...it was North India where Baahubali2's footfalls were almost 4 times that of Baahubali1's footfalls.

Edited by upriser7
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

are you asking just about Domestic or WW ? It should cross $100M Worldwide but I don't think it will cross $100M domestic. Under current exchange rates, Dangal would have been around $65M

I was talking about just domestic. Are you looking at net or gross. Someone above posted Dangal gross at 525 cr which should be close to 80m based on XR back in 2015-16 timeframe. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

I was talking about just domestic. Are you looking at net or gross. Someone above posted Dangal gross at 525 cr which should be close to 80m based on XR back in 2015-16 timeframe. 

I was referring to gross. yeah..Dangal's gross is around $80M going by 2016 exchange rates. I think Pathaan will likely end up around $70-85M domestically

Plus bahubali was huge in the south and the north. Add in that bahubali had elements of mahabharat and ramayan that really connected to audiences especially older audiences who normally don't watch films.

Pa

3 hours ago, XXR You Ok Annie said:

Those two were Pan India films appealing to both South & North. Pathaan is just Hindi film with limited bizz in South India.

Pathaan will become highest grossing Bollywood film.

Imagine East Coast spoke French & West English. A French film may be biggest grosser in East (say that's Pathan) while an Avengers does big enough in both to become bigger at US level.

• Thanks 1