mahnamahna

Iconic Films You've Been Meaning To See

Lucky! I remember when I was 14 watched Pulp Fiction for the first time, It blew my little mind!

Goodfellas is a most also, those two were my favorites for years.

Watched Pulp Fiction this morning... I'm still not sure what I just saw but it was an amazing interwined story if I've ever seen one. I can tell Reservoir Dogs was a testing ground for this. Samuel L Jackson should have gotten the Best Actor Oscar just for the last scene!  B)  John Travolta wasn't laughably bad, Bruce Willis was great, Christopher Walken is always nice to see, and the various smaller actors were great (Tim Roth, Harvey Keitel, Steve Buscemi, Julia Sweeney, etc). Uma Thurman was perfect as Mia Wallace - and QT snuck in his foot fetish for the first time in this one haha!  :P great soundtrack and phenomenal dialogue

I give it an very high A/borderline A+ - it would make my top 25 for sure at the moment but I'd need to watch it a couple more times to solidify my opinion of it. 

In no particular order and all of which have been featured in the 1001 Movies list at some point. I've also never seen any of these. Here's my list: 

1. Blade Runner

2. Hannah and Her Sisters

3. Being John Malkovich

4. Little Miss Sunshine

5. Broadcast News

6. Seven Samurai

7. From Here to Eternity

8. The Godfather Part II

9. Spartacus

10. The Great Escape

11. Lawrence of Arabia

12. 2001 - A Space Odyssey

13. M*A*S*H

14. Saturday Night Fever

15. This is Spinal Tap 

16. Bonnie and Clyde

17, Pulp Fiction

18. Apocalypse Now

19. The Birth of a Nation

20. Intolerance

21. Metropolis

22. A Fish Called Wanda

23. Midnight Cowboy

24. The Grapes of Wrath

25. 8 1/2

26. Shane

27. Heat

28. Sunset Blvd 

29. Fantasia

30. Halloween

31. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

32. Dawn of the Dead

33. A Nightmare on Elm Street

34. Goodfellas

35. Fight Club

36. Taxi Driver

37. West Side Story

38. Raging Bull

39. Se7en

40. Spirited Away

41. Grave of the Fireflies

42. Princess Monokoke 

43. Fargo

44. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

45. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

46. Once Upon a Time in the West

47. Full Metal Jacket

48. Memento

49. Almost Famous

50. The Big Lebowski 

What classic/iconic films have you been meaning to see?

No Star Wars?

It would be embarrasing to list all the important movie I havent seen, so I wont do that. But I'll say that I have never seen a Werner Herzog movie other than Grizzly Man, and that is a crying shame. 

Holy fuck, son. Go watch AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD immediately. Follow it up with BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF NEW ORLEANS because.... Nick Cage. That's why.

Edited by Telemachos

Holy fuck, son. Go watch AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD immediately. Follow it up with BAD LIEUTENANT: PORT OF NEW ORLEANS because.... Nick Cage. That's why.

Actually soon after making that post I downloaded Aguirre, Kaspar Hauser, Nosferatu and Fitzcarraldo. 

Actually soon after making that post I downloaded Aguirre, Kaspar Hauser, Nosferatu and Fitzcarraldo. 

I disapprove of your means of acquisition, but since Herzog stole a 35mm camera from the University of Berlin to make AGUIRRE, I think he'd be fine with it. :P

Edited by Telemachos

It would be embarrasing to list all the important movie I havent seen, so I wont do that. But I'll say that I have never seen a Werner Herzog movie other than Grizzly Man, and that is a crying shame. 

Same, except his one film that I've seen is Bad Lieutenant. Which is amazing, by the way. Cage absolutely kills it.

I disapprove of your means of acquisition, but since Herzog stole a 35mm camera from the University of Berlin to make AGUIRRE, I think he'd be fine with it. :P

He has to be one of the most fascinating figures in filmmaking. I've watched dozens of interviews of Herzog. 

• Like 1

Same, except his one film that I've seen is Bad Lieutenant. Which is amazing, by the way. Cage absolutely kills it.

You should really check out a lot of Herzog's other stuff. His range is amazing. RESCUE DAWN, with Christian Bale, is a harrowing true-story POW adventure. AGUIRRE, of course, is one of the greatest films ever. FITZCARRALDO, all his documentaries, etc.

Herzog's been on my radar for a long time now, just haven't got around to him yet (I was shown Bad Lieutenant by a friend, too). I have a habit of catching up on a lot of living directors' works in days/weeks before they release a new film (recently, for example, I watched a lot of Neil Jordan before Byzantium arrived in theaters, Kar-Wai Wong before The Grandmaster, Korine before Spring Breakers, and so on), and since Herzog remains pretty active I'm sure I'll get more acquainted with him soon enough.