rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

On 5/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, Mulder said:

As much as I’ve literally been called a fascist for liking AoT, I still love it.

Oh that controversy! That was weird. On a side note I'm looking at watching the entire series leading up to this upcoming episode

On 7/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, Slambros said:

Is anyone else watching Neon Genesis Evangelion on Netflix? This is my first time watching the show; I'm four episodes in and I think I've found a new favorite.

The ending(s) will f#ck up your head. Just a heads up.

• Like 1

I have rather unpopular opinions when it comes to Evangelion. I can absolutely understand the hype for End of Evangelion; it has haunting yet strikingly beautiful imagery and wades into surreal territory in a way that just grabs your attention. The mainline series though? I think it's so slow and meandering, and, perhaps most importantly, shockingly conventional until about 2/3rds of the way through. A lot of the episodes are little more than monster-of-the-week fights, with just enough of a weird undercurrent to hint at bigger ideas and themes to come. I dunno. I guess there's just enough that bothers me about it, that it becomes frustrating to watch. And I'm not even talking about the budget-related stuff like the ridiculously long static shots or the scratchpad finale. Heck, I actually kind of like the finale. Sure, the dialogue is more than a little on the nose, but I think it really works and provides a nice resolution with Shinji (and Anno by proxy) coming to terms with his emotional struggles. EoE, in contrast, just seems like Anno decided that he had to make everything big and 2001-esque in order to make up for the last couple of episodes.

Spoiler

With all that said, Asuka's death and the beach in EoE are amazing scenes.

• Like 1

The animation office of Kyoto Animation (the studio behind A Silent VoiceSound! EuphoniumMiss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, K-On, and Clannad among other series and films) was burned to the ground by an arsonist six/seven hours ago with around 30 reported injuries and 33 reported deaths as of this writing. The arsonist is in custody. This is a huge loss not just for the studio but for the industry as a whole. Please pray for those affected and consider donating to this emergency fund:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

• Like 1
  • Sad 3