ExcelFTW

Any REAL doubts that SUPERMAN vs. BATMAN will crush every record in existence?

So you're saying its not possible? Wouldn't be the first sequel to open under its predecessor. 207M OW is no easy feat.

No, I didn't say that. I was just saying that some people would love to see that happen.

Lol MOS was like the most frontloaded movie ever ( lol joking but it did fall a lot harder then expected)

TA 2 will be frontloaded but it has a clean release date compared to IM3. 

2015 summer will start of TA2 and it will be the big film of the year as it will be the film general audiences all will rush out to see. 

Other films will open big in summer but I expect it will be very much like how 2012 and 2013 ended like. 

Point is IM3 showed how big the brand is.... It opened to 174 million which was quite larger then expected considering the buzz was not that big. 

I think TA 2 will break the opening record and should break all 3 daily records as well Fri, Sat and Sun. The opening will be huge and 2nd weekend will be a big drop but still near 90-100 million.

Edited by Lordmandeep

I doubt it. I feel confident that it won't be one of the top adjusted domestic grossing films for Warner Bros./New Line Cinema. Therefore, I don't see this movie breaking records.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is currently the number 10 domestic adjusted grossing movie for Warner Bros./New Line Cinema. It adjusts to over $458 M. Since I don't think Superman-Batman will reach that number, it won't even surpass TDK, Batman '89, Superman '78, and TDKR. And if it can't surpass those, then it can't surpass The Avengers. Thus, I don't see any records being broken.

Edited by Walt Disney

Not happening ... but that's not to say it won't be ridiculously huge if promoted right.

The Avengers has cornered the youth market.  TA merchandise is a staple at all stores ... kids get the toys, the costumes, ... everything. 

Batman is the most popular comic character (in general) and Superman is right there with Spider-Man behind Batman ... but The Avengers and Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man just have 'it' right now with movie goers. 

Batman vs. Superman

EARLY, EARLY prediction ... it will be 'competitive' with The Avengers 2

175/445

... However, overseas will simply be a massacre, probably 2 to 1 in Marvel's favor.

(Now if this was Christian Bale's Batman vs. Henry Cavill's Superman ... maybe it would have had a small chance)

Edited by Adam

It'll come down to quality. The novelty of B/S team up will get it to about 400M I think, whether it can get more depends on Snyder/Goyer/WB/DC/whoever involved in the making of this movie to deliver a good movie that connects with GA. Otherwise, it would open big but also fall big like MOS.Who knows, there could be a similar situation like 2012 when no one (except BKB of course) foresaw TA beating TDKR. This time, it could reverse with B/S coming on top perhaps? Hey, maybe someone should make a "B/S under MOS club" to get something going, that worked wonders for TA after all :P

• Like 1

Lol MOS was like the most frontloaded movie ever ( lol joking but it did fall a lot harder then expected) TA 2 will be frontloaded but it has a clean release date compared to IM3. 2015 summer will start of TA2 and it will be the big film of the year as it will be the film general audiences all will rush out to see. Other films will open big in summer but I expect it will be very much like how 2012 and 2013 ended like.  Point is IM3 showed how big the brand is.... It opened to 174 million which was quite larger then expected considering the buzz was not that big. I think TA 2 will break the opening record and should break all 3 daily records as well Fri, Sat and Sun. The opening will be huge and 2nd weekend will be a big drop but still near 90-100 million.

Frontloaded Friday would mean Saturday and Sunday could be less than TA...

It'll come down to quality. The novelty of B/S team up will get it to about 400M I think, whether it can get more depends on Snyder/Goyer/WB/DC/whoever involved in the making of this movie to deliver a good movie that connects with GA. Otherwise, it would open big but also fall big like MOS. 

$400M WW or Domestic? Domestically, that would be a massive win for WB.

• Like 1

Awareness for Superman vs. Batman is higher RIGHT NOW than the awareness for most films ever is, which is just staggering considering it is so far away. Seeing folks thinkings it is going to open to 160-170 million in 2015 dollars w/ 3D and IMAX in the middle of July.

Awareness RIGHT NOW means absolutely nothing in 2015. It may even be a hinderance if people get sick of it too soon.
  • Like 1

Frontloaded Friday would mean Saturday and Sunday could be less than TA...

As shown even if the new DC comic film has a massive opening day it will not hold well on Saturday.Considering im3 had a 62 million I think you forget that these films are not frontloaded on opening weekend.Sunday record could stand but Fri sat will both break Saturday for TA2 Edited by Lordmandeep

As shown even if the new DC comic film has a massive opening day it will not hold well on Saturday.Considering im3 had a 62 million I think you forget that these films are not frontloaded on opening weekend.Sunday record could stand but Fri sat will both break Saturday for TA2

I think Marvel movies are generally Saturday player. AoU, I could see opening big on Friday and will also hold well on Saturday. Sunday drop will definitely be way bigger than what TA had, I just can't see another mega opener drop like that in May anytime soon.

I think Marvel movies are generally Saturday player. AoU, I could see opening big on Friday and will also hold well on Saturday. Sunday drop will definitely be way bigger than what TA had, I just can't see another mega opener drop like that in May anytime soon.

IM3 wasn't as frontloaded because it's not an ACTUAL sequel to TA.

I was thinking more like...(considering it's opening in May and it's supposedly the most anticipated 2015 movie)

Midnight/Previews - 35M

Friday Total - 98M

Saturday - 63M (flat from daytime showings on Friday)

Sunday - 51M (-20%)

212M OW

IM3 wasn't as frontloaded because it's not an ACTUAL sequel to TA.

I was thinking more like...(considering it's opening in May and it's supposedly the most anticipated 2015 movie)

Midnight/Previews - 35M

Friday Total - 98M

Saturday - 63M (flat from daytime showings on Friday)

Sunday - 51M (-20%)

212M OW

But IM3 itself is a sequel, it's supposed to be frontloaded as well. 

Like I said, I think Marvel movies are Saturday player. Just like how Marvel movies are never big on presales but rather rely on walk-ups. Walk-up and family appeal are what make them Saturday players IMO. Unless Friday is mega big, I see AoU increase from Friday sans midnight like most Marvel movies did.

Your Sunday drop is too generous. One of the most impressive stat of Avengers OW is the Sunday drop, which is only 18%, something I don't see a repeat of. I think AoU will drop more than that, closer to 30% on Sunday.

Edited by Sam

And it disappeared off the radar at it's 30 day mark meaning, it wasn't all that memorable which is why BATMAN is being shoehorned into the sequel... I still can't believe Bale would turn down 50M to come back for this???

I doubt he was offered anywhere close to 50M.  All actors can be replaced, except for RDJ. Without him the Iron Man movies would be in the same sub-200M range as Thor and Captain America. 

Ed remember IM3 was a sequel..

Im3 had a 62 million Saturday from a 174 million opening.

You have to remember May is the time of the year where you see the biggest Saturday grosses.

We have for 2 years vastly underestimated how big these films are on their opening Saturday and we will again. I remember seeing TA release date and saying it was locked to break the Saturday record well over a year out.

I think you will see with ASM2 as this year, it will get a pretty large opening weekend due to a healthy Satruday gross. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1