Impact

Best Song-2013

I'd love if The Hobbit, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and even Oblivion made it somehow in.

Whilst Ed Sheeran's song was used for the wrong movie (as it's quite obvious for everyone who knows what happens in the third one),  it's still very good.

I believe the members who vote on this award watch the section in the movie that the song plays in, so yeah, I guess context could play a part. If it's a memorable scene it can help.

Except most Best Song nominees these days play over the end credits... only Let It Go, Happy (from DM2), and Please Mr. Kennedy actually have an impact on the stories of their films so they ought to be the only 3 nominees since most people leave during the end credits anyway (it's why I thought Tangled should have beat Toy Story 3 for Best Song and Monsters Inc probably shouldn't have won either) 

We have:“Alone Yet Not Alone” from “Alone Yet Not Alone”“Happy” from “Despicable Me 2”“Let It Go” from “Frozen”“The Moon Song” from “Her”“Ordinary Love” from “Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom”

Well... I just went and listened to all the nominees.  Except for 'Let it Go' which I've already heard a few times.  :)

I'll admit upfront that I think this award should go to a song that is in the movie and is part of the story.

So I discount Alone and Ordinary Love.  I will say Alone is a beautiful song and that I have no clue how Ordinary Love won the GG.

"Happy" is a funny one.  I loved DM2.  Saw it twice in the theater and have it on Blu-Ray.  I couldn't remember the song.  I went and listened to it... still didn't remember it.  Finally found the clip in the movie where it appeared.  Then I remember it.  Not a good sign when a fan of the movie can't remember the song.

"The Moon Song" - Loved it.  Haven't seen the movie yet.  Based on the context of the song I assume it's part of the movie.  As a coder I'm eagerly awaiting the day when I can have an unnatural relationship with one of my programs.

'Let it Go' - I'm a Frozenite and biased.  But this song is a perfect anthem for anyone struggling to find their identity.  Go to the YouTube clip of it and read the comments.  So many people identify with Elsa and her attempt to accept who she is.  Add to that Menzel's rendition of the song and the animation of the scene and this hands down should be the winner.

My rankings:

'Let It Go'

"The Moon Song"

"Happy"

"Alone Yet Not Along"

"Ordinary Love"