Cedarpoint1111

Smash - Renewed for Season 2

The thing about McPhee is this, she does have a GREAT voice. However, she has a great pop voice, it's not really a "Broadway" voice. That's not to say she can't learn how to use her natural voice and make it more "musical-y." But the whole time I kept finding myself thinking the blonde girl was wayyyy more suited for a role like that.

The thing about McPhee is this, she does have a GREAT voice. However, she has a great pop voice, it's not really a "Broadway" voice. That's not to say she can't learn how to use her natural voice and make it more "musical-y." But the whole time I kept finding myself thinking the blonde girl was wayyyy more suited for a role like that.

They`ll have trouble convincing those sticking with the show that McPhee character should be Marilyn. Reason being not just that Hilty one is more suited but McPhee`s character, being a newcomer who takes the spot from a vet, is less sympathetic because overnight success is less likable than paying your dues and hitting big thanks to hard work. Which is why they had to saddle Hilty character with the couch casting cliche to make her look bad. Also, putting the marketing of the show on McPhee`s shoulders is unfair to the girl because the show is obviously skewing older (there are no teens) and yet she is supposed to attract teens. Who won`t stay around for Cruella deBotoxville and Debra Messings family yawnathon or McPhee and her dull boyfriend (also in his 30s). I`m affraid that this is the case of network and PR annointing McPhee a bone fide star before the audience had their say. And like in many cases of overexposed-before-proving-themselves leads, they may not embrace the pre-manufactured star. That`s what I`m getting from comments. That the hype led people to believe the pilot id special and McPhee is sepcial and that eevrything was really meh and predicatbel and ordinary.

Wow, this show was uneven.

Yep, they lost about 40% viewers in the first half that was mostly focued on: adoption, McPhee`s candy vomit bliss with wedding cake-figure boyfriend, Cruella DeBotoxville`s divorce and that secretary who feel complete around theater people. This isn`t even a hint at who should leave the show pronto. It`s like a Mjolnir in the head warning. And yet I read in EW that there will be more family drama. Countdown to axe falling in T minus 5...4....3....

Yep, they lost about 40% viewers in the first half that was mostly focued on: adoption, McPhee`s candy vomit bliss with wedding cake-figure boyfriend, Cruella DeBotoxville`s divorce and that secretary who feel complete around theater people. This isn`t even a hint at who should leave the show pronto. It`s like a Mjolnir in the head warning. And yet I read in EW that there will be more family drama. Countdown to axe falling in T minus 5...4....3....

Such a shame too because this show could be amazing if they would just take a hint. Its like they want it to be a family show and a dirty show at the same time. God how I wish HBO had done this show.
  • Like 1

This show is doing terribly in the ratings. After all that promotion it does mediocre in its premiere and tumbles for 2 episodes straight. It has the best lead-in in NBC (The Voice) but barely manages to do above the pitiful NBC average. If this trend continues I don't think it will be renewed.

The show is horrible. I follow its nose-dive because I`m fascinated by trainwrecks and this is a big one. Insane overhype that didn`t live up to 1/16 of what was promised and it`s getting worse. Awful dialog, boring predictable plots, bland cliche completely unengaging characters, bad acting, boring direction, boring songs, subpar dancing. This shit isn`t tanking because it`s a niche but because they failed to make that niche (Broadway) relatable and interesting to viewers unlike other shows about other professions (yeah, not many people know how advertising or police or hospital or Hollywood,etc works but compelling characters and good plots keep them interested). There`s no sparks or flavor or dazzle in this crapola. Completely wasted money. Spielberg is a TV poison.

Edited by fishnets

Lmao, guys, you still watch this trash? It`s fuckin terrible. I sat through one episode after first 2 during the reruns of Hawaii 5 0. Eveyrone, and I mean 100% everyone - actors, writers, composers, coreographers, etc - should be fired from it. Boring, so predictable I knew excatly what would happen before it happens because I saw it kazillion times before, every TV cliche rolled in one episode, horrid dialog, and WTF was that shit about AI girl sucking at bar mitzvah and getting a recording contract? WTF? Just awful. usually solid actors embarrassing themselves, newcomers should be has-beens already. Everyone is awful. Gosh, I was shocked to see this thread get a bump. I thought the show was mercifully forgotten.