A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

With 2 battles it should be very easy to sell the film.

I actually thought they did a good move with not showing Smaug in trailers

Hopefully they wont reveal much in TABA's

btw saw DoS in IMAX again this weekend after it being MIA in that theater last week b/c of 'I Frankenstein'

was stunned to see about +50 ppl more in the room

it still brings in the viewers !!!

Edited by Tauriel

btw saw DoS in IMAX again this weekend after it being MIA in that theater last week b/c of 'I Frankenstein'

Well, my complaint with DOS strategy is just to have not shown the sneak peek trailer, which is awesome, in theaters and in front of Gravity or Catching Fire. The official trailer was quite good and they have improved from AUJ. It is just I was stunned with that other trailer.

• Like 1

^ yeah yeah u're right

I guess we're all in the same boat about the Inet trailer

it was pretty dumb not to show it

btw the marketing here sucked too imo

they probs thought it will sell itself b/c of the LOLTR fame & usual popularity

well it did

so I dont expect local distributor to be more active 4 TABA sadly  :(

• Like 1

That's a good strategy for the fan-base who are definitely going to watch the movie.

But the GA which lost interest after AUJ had to be hooked in again by attractions like Smaug, and they will have to show some of the best of TABA in the trailers if they want to reverse the apathy folks are feeling.

• Like 1

That's a good strategy for the fan-base who are definitely going to watch the movie.

But the GA which lost interest after AUJ had to be hooked in again by attractions like Smaug, and they will have to show some of the best of TABA in the trailers if they want to reverse the apathy folks are feeling.

maybe b/c I'm more of a fan of trailers teasing the film not exposing everything interesting the movie has to offer

you may be right ofc but Im sticking to the fact that seeing Smaug breathing fire etc etc wasnt gonna change anything or bring more people 

Not that Im expecting them NOT to show any footage from Battle of the 5 armies or the Councuil in TABA's trailers (I do want) I'd prefer more random battle shots not something significant or especially memeorable

Imo they will push the idea of closure of the whole Middle earth saga

this goodbye angle could work. 

Edited by Tauriel

^ dont know IMAX specifics sorry E

WBPI’s The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug stands at $600.8m and Gravity $430.5m.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/warner-bros-launches-the-lego-movie/5066353.article?blocktitle=LATEST-INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40071

Edited by Tauriel

There and Back Again needs epic trailers like this one

I don't know if thats fair lol, few trailers match that one, it made RotK feel like the motion picture event of the decade, and it was.  The Hobbit trailers DO need to be better though, they're all pretty bad except for the excellent last one for Smaug, but that one was online only and was never shown in theaters.  I really don't know what the deal is, but they really need to deliver great ones for TABA, there was no excuse for the boring ass theatrical trailers for DOS.

• Like 2

I get that the trailers are supposed to highlight the best bits of the film to draw people in but it still kinda harsh imo to criticize the DOS and AUJ trailers which I thought were still pretty decent considering they were still trailers for DOS and AUJ which I thought were both fairly substandard. The Smaug teaser for the third trailer in particular was pretty epic I felt like it would raise anticipation a little more before the release. They obviously still fall short of LOTR's but at a certain point you can only advertise the footage you've got to work with and none of the Hobbit stuff has been nearly as enthralling as the original trilogy.

even the trailers for Fellowship and Towers were incredible

this trailer for Fellowship is one of the best trailers ever made. 

youtu.be/Pki6jbSbXIY

youtu.be/Wek5UClasY8

damn so many memories!!  :cloud9: 

speaking of

soon there comes the 10th anniversary of ROTK's Oscar sweep! :wub:

keep my predictions still

dont expect much from China & Japan - 40-45 max & Japan- 15-20

Edited by Tauriel