A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

Of course. It's based on one of the most well known children's book and it has the following from LoTR. 

And imo it's a horribly made film, both of them.

• Like 1

I'm really baffled by the love this film gets.  I understand the love of the original trilogy.  But the Hobbit, imo, is so different from the originals, it's all CGI, it's quite boring throughout and there aren't any of the fun characters to root for from the first.  all my opinion of course.  But the success of the Hobbit films is really confusing to me.

I agree. Gone are Frodo's pathos, Sam's sweet loyalty, the goofiness of the other two. HOBBITS is like SW prequels, they are footnotes of some kind. Still fun though. Jackson still got it as far as action sequence is concerned but need a stronger story & characters. 

• Like 1

Yep I loved them, I mean they were less good than the LOTR but still awesome.... I mean did you saw the HungerGames? Wtf I loved the book but those movies even my brother of 2 had done it better than those... "Whatever they are...." But like i said the books were awesome!!!!! I specially liked the hunting parts in the book, the survival of the strongest but in the film the only thing we got to see is Last airbender stuff.... Just my opinion, i know lots will disagree with me but I am just a human and humans can make mistakes, lots of mistakes.... XD

Don't take it personaly plz, It is just I don't like the HG movies :(

Yep I loved them, I mean they were less good than the LOTR but still awesome.... I mean did you saw the HungerGames? Wtf I loved the book but those movies even my brother of 2 had done it better than those... "Whatever they are...." But like i said the books were awesome!!!!! I specially liked the hunting parts in the book, the survival of the strongest but in the film the only thing we got to see is Last airbender stuff.... Just my opinion, i know lots will disagree with me but I am just a human and humans can make mistakes, lots of mistakes.... XD

Don't take it personaly plz, It is just I don't like the HG movies :(

Sad to say but I much prefer Catching Fire over either Hobbit movie. Why did PJ have to screw up the book so much!

Edited by Kingslayer

Why did PJ have to screw up the book so much!

To the contrary, he makes the movies better than the book. Have you read Hobbit recently? It has its charms but it's fluffy, childish, with bland characters. I don't blame Tolkien, he wrote that book for his children but i prefer what PJ is doing. Not that the movies aren't without fault.

• Like 3

To the contrary, he makes the movies better than the book. Have you read Hobbit recently? It has its charms but it's fluffy, childish, with bland characters. I don't blame Tolkien, he wrote that book for his children but i prefer what PJ is doing. Not that the movies aren't without fault.

I'm not denying PJ did a helluva job with the original trilogy but for the hobbit as a stand alone children's book (which was intended as a comparatively simpler tale to that of LOTR) is far superior to the bloated CGI mess he has made with this current trilogy.

imo for the universe of Middle-Earth it goes:

LOTR (films) > Silmarillion (book) > Hobbit (book) > LOTR (books) >>>>>> Hobbit (films)

Only 12 movies in history grossed more than 700M$ OS, 9 of this was 2011(3) or 2012(4) or 2013(2) releases. The fact is that to reach this level now is basic to have great runs in asian markets like china, SK and japan (IM3 and frozen, the biggest 2013 os, grossed more than 200m$ in this three markets combined). Unfortunately the hobbit 2 was stellar in china but so-so in SK and totally bomb in japan, for a total near 100m$. In the rest of foreign markets combined, hobbit 2 is biggest release of 2013.

Only 12 movies in history grossed more than 700M$ OS, 9 of this was 2011(3) or 2012(4) or 2013(2) releases. The fact is that to reach this level now is basic to have great runs in asian markets like china, SK and japan (IM3 and frozen, the biggest 2013 os, grossed more than 200m$ in this three markets combined). Unfortunately the hobbit 2 was stellar in china but so-so in SK and totally bomb in japan, for a total near 100m$. In the rest of foreign markets combined, hobbit 2 is biggest release of 2013.

Agree. Japan is the main problem of Hobbit relative to LOTR. With current exchange rate, every LOTR movie would have done over 100 million there and Hobbit is not even able to reach 20 million.