A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug added $5.6m through Warner Bros Pictures International from 60 territories and stands at $595m. Germany leads the way on $85.8m followed by the UK on $69.4m and France on $50.3m, Russia on $44.9m, Australia on $32.6m, Spain $23.1m and Sweden on $20m. The fantasy sequel opens in China on February 21 and Japan one week later.

If it matches AUJ in China and Japan, it's looking at 675 international + 257 dom = 932m ww. 

Two Towers was 923.3m. Hopefully DoS at least goes over that.

Will end up #4 ww for 2013 behind IM3, DM2 and Frozen.

Edited by a2knet

What the fuss is all about?

900m or a little more is already a tremendous achievement:)

That proves Middle Earth still amazes the world

There is also a good chance the movie overperforms in China : we have now a fuc... big red dragon dudes! and a faster pacing than AUJ!

Smile People! :D

Edited by TacoBell
  • Like 1

There is also a good chance the movie overperforms in China : we have now a fuc... big red dragon dudes! and a faster pacing than AUJ!

Smile People! :D

It's about expectations. Did not expect it to land outside top 25 worldwide with 3D grosses.

• Like 1

Smile People!  :D

welcome to you, optimistic poster! :arms:  :bouncy:

the sad thing that its declining a lot from AuJ (which I liked waaay less than DoS)

Obv 900+ is nothing that bad for any other blockbuster 

it wont overperform in China or Japan imo

Edited by Tauriel

welcome to you, optimistic poster! :arms:  :bouncy:

the sad thing that its declining a lot from AuJ (which I liked waaay less than DoS)

Obv 900+ is nothing that bad for any other blockbuster 

it wont overperform in China or Japan imo

I am thinking the dragon element + rapidly developing market might boost China, or stem the decline at least.

But yeah, won't matter much in the end.

LOTRs were a different league, but with 12 years of inflation + 3D just managing a few more than FoTR = lots of money left on the table thanks to AUJ

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 2

I am thinking the dragon element + rapidly developing market might boost China, or stem the decline at least.

Exactly

this will be THE good indicator : all the elements are included in this second installment to succeed in China (even with a shitty release date) , at last performs similar than AUJ or, by the gods, brings more cash.

And thank you for the welcome Tauriel:) ,  bonjour à tous from France

Edited by TacoBell
  • Like 1

But yeah, won't matter much in the end.

LOTRs were a different league, but with 12 years of inflation + 3D just managing a few more than FoTR = lots of money left on the table thanks to AUJ

speaking of dragons

There was an interesting thread @ Torn  about how the dragon the way it is portrayed in DoS can be a disadvantage in China BO & not otherwise

probably our chinese members would disagree 

idk

aw u're welcome :wub:

my friend lives in France for 8 years 

hopefully I can visit her someday

Edited by Tauriel

Exactly

this will be THE good indicator : all the elements are included in this second installment to succeed in China (even with a shitty release date) , at last performs similar than AUJ or, by the gods, brings more cash.

Kick-ass poster

Posted Image

speaking of dragons

There was an interesting thread @ Torn  about how the dragon the way it is portrayed in DoS can be a disadvantage in China BO & not otherwise

probably our chinese members would disagree 

idk

thanks, very interesting.

Edited by a2knet

They really should have used that poster domestically. They needed the money more then the reveal. 

Yeah, they made the same mistake that Star Trek 2 made by hiding Khan.

What if TDK had been marketed like a Batman vs Two Face movie, with the Joker being the reveal.

Maybe WB and PJ were hoping for a lot more loyalty from the fan-base, which is unreasonable on their part, after AUJ.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

I doubt a poster or two of Smaug would've changed much. No one cares about posters except diehards. And it's not like they didn't show Smaug at all... heck, he had an extremely prominent shot in the very first trailer. If people were turned off by AUJ to the point they didn't want to see DOS, I doubt seeing a dragon shot or two would change their minds.

• Like 4

I doubt a poster or two of Smaug would've changed much. No one cares about posters except diehards. And it's not like they didn't show Smaug at all... heck, he had an extremely prominent shot in the very first trailer. If people were turned off by AUJ to the point they didn't want to see DOS, I doubt seeing a dragon shot or two would change their minds.

I really do think that outdoor advertising featuring that incredible dragon would not only bring more non-Tolkein fans, but many people who disliked the first one. That Dragon is just so hard to ignore and they didn't show it off at all. It would have been a huge marking asset. 

• Like 1