Krissykins

Weekend Numbers Oct 18-21

Cars is a bit different then other animated films since well-kids love to buy cars!

So what will drop the most out of the 3 new releases next weekend?I'm guessing possibly Escape Plan. (Carrie will likely have the huge drop on week 3 as that is the week after Halloween)

I don't know. I think they sell a hell of a lot more Spider-Man and Star Wars and Transformers toys than they do for just about every animated film not named Cars.

The animation genre is driven by home video sales more than any other genre.

Ironically, all of those franchises you have listed have had their animated avatars too, Spidey and Transformers having multiple animation shows before live action movies. It all lent to the brand recognition.

Though I agree that home video sales is not to be underestimated when it comes to animation. 

I don't know. I think they sell a hell of a lot more Spider-Man and Star Wars and Transformers toys than they do for just about every animated film not named Cars.The animation genre is driven by home video sales more than any other genre.

Transformers was a toyline before it was a film franchise but I imagine the success of the films has made it a bigger money maker for Hasbro.

Yeah but look at that schedule. After Planes 2 in mid July, those are the only 2 animated movies listed before November. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Boxtrolls put up some decent numbers for that reason alone.

I dunno, horror animation isn't a huge seller, only Hotel Transylvania was a hit and That's a comedy. Edited by Jonwo

Transformers was a toyline before it was a film franchise but I imagine the success of the films has made it a bigger money maker for Hasbro.

Absolutely.That being said, Paramount makes jack and shit off merch when it comes to Transformers. Obviously the movie is enough for them. Edited by kowhite

Absolutely.That being said, Paramount makes jack and shit off merch when it comes to Transformers. Obviously the movie is enough for them.

Hasbro probably make enough profits from just the toys alone, the money from the movies and other areas are just gravy, its probably why GI Joe and Battleship were made. I imagine Mattel want to get Masters of the Universe off the ground as that would be a huge Merch seller if a film was a hit,Do Paramount make any money from Star Trek apart from the films, I think CBS actually own the franchise but Paramount has rights to the films hence why we've not see a TV series. Edited by Jonwo

That being said, Paramount makes jack and shit off merch when it comes to Transformers. Obviously the movie is enough for them.

Really? I thought Hasbro had to pay them a small percentage for every movie-line toy they made.

Jonwo, I've no doubt you are right.Only question is whether masters of the universe can turn into a viable franchise. But Hasbro don't care...they get paid a little if the mvoie bombs...and they still sell toys...they get paid more if it succeeds...and they sell more toys. Win win.

Really? I thought Hasbro had to pay them a small percentage for every movie-line toy they made.

I wouldn't sign that deal. I doubt they did.Hasbro wasnt in a near bankruptcy position like Marvel was 15 years ago so I doubt they would've. Edited by kowhite

I dunno, horror animation isn't a huge seller, only Hotel Transylvania was a hit and That's a comedy.

Okay, I'll admit that I don't know much about the film other than that I've seen a poster for it hanging in my local theater for the past month or two. If it's not the type of thing that appeals to kids, than maybe not.

It could if they go the Thor route and make it science meets fantasy in outer space. Which, to be fair, that was what MotU was all about right from the beginning!

No Courtney Cox, no sale.Wait, i meant Dolph Lundgren. No, strike that, I meant Courtney Cox...circa 1994. Time machine ...do it.

It could if they go the Thor route and make it science meets fantasy in outer space. Which, to be fair, that was what MotU was all about right from the beginning!

MoTU is essentially Conan for a younger audience and with a scifi twist, I imagine it would be an origin story of how Adam got the sword and became He-Man and maybe the origin of Skeletor.

No Courtney Cox, no sale.Wait, i meant Dolph Lundgren. No, strike that, I meant Courtney Cox...circa 1994. Time machine ...do it.

Lol, Courtney Cox should play the Sorceress in the new film. Interestingly, did you know that Christina Pickles, the actress who played Sorceress in the Lundgren film, later played Courtney Cox's mother on Friends:lol: Mrs. Geller, that was her!

Lol, Courtney Cox should play the Sorceress in the new film. Interestingly, did you know that Christina Pickles, the actress who played Sorceress in the Lundgren film, later played Courtney Cox's mother on Friends:lol: Mrs. Geller, that was her!

Well holy shit, mind blown. Sorceress is Jewish?
  • Like 1

I wouldn't sign that deal. I doubt they did.Hasbro wasnt in a near bankruptcy position like Marvel was 15 years ago so I doubt they would've.

Hasbro can't use the likeness of any car they want for free. They have to sign licensing deals. Some deals are for $$$, and some are likely just for advertising purposes for the car manufacturers. Hasbro owns the Transformers property, but since Paramount creates a lot of the vehicles seen in the movies (from the minds of Michael Bay and Co), Hasbro gives them a small cut of the toy sales.

The exact details aren't publicly known, and I've seen some speculation that GM pays Paramount to put their cars in the movie and then Hasbro pays GM to use their cars as toys, but the end result is everybody's getting paid.

MoTU is essentially Conan for a younger audience and with a scifi twist, I imagine it would be an origin story of how Adam got the sword and became He-Man and maybe the origin of Skeletor.

I'd say it has more appeal than Conan because the characters are stronger and the world of Eternia is more fascinating, with it's science vs. fantasy elements. Also, <3 Thor's "By the power of Greyskull" moment in TA-

Posted Image