Krissykins

Weekend Numbers Oct 18-21

Starting next year, Dreamworks animation is going full retard with 3 movies per year in 2014,2015,2016.

The CGI animation market is getting ridiculously crowded. Pixar will release 2 movies every two year, plus Illumination + Blue Sky + Disney Animation + Sony Animation etc etc etc

Look what happened to Turbo this year ...

Because animations are more profitable than live actions.

Because of merchandise I assume?

Because some animation makes lots of money at the box office. Don't overestimate merchandise. It's cause animation can be big business. But not always though. DW has seen lots of success, not cause of merchandise (sure it helps)...but cause some of their movies simply made lots of money. Edited by kowhite
  • Like 1

Starting next year, Dreamworks animation is going full retard with 3 movies per year in 2014,2015,2016.The CGI animation market is getting ridiculously crowded. Pixar will release 2 movies every two year, plus Illumination + Blue Sky + Disney Animation + Sony Animation etc etc etcLook what happened to Turbo this year ...

I imagine there will be casualties, I could see a studio like Sony either closing or downsizing and it'll affect the likes of Disney and Dreamworks as well.

They don't need regular DW to do live action though. In fact, they'll probably go there without them. Largely off their Classic Media acquisition. Heck they are probably the only company to actually profit off The Lone Ranger cause of that.

TBH with their expansion into other areas like theme parks and television, live action films and television seems like a logical step but whether Katzenberg wants to make live action films is another matter, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a live action/CG hybrid from DWA.

Because some animation makes lots of money at the box office. Don't overestimate merchandise. It's cause animation can be big business. But not always though. DW has seen lots of success, not cause of merchandise (sure it helps)...but cause some of their movies simply made lots of money.

Wasn't Cars 2 and also Planes greenlit due to the mammoth Merch sales? Animation is a good tool for selling toys and many TV shows have been cancelled not because of ratings but simply as the toys didn't sell eg Thundercats I'm sure Scooby Doo and Batman get new cartoons because the toys and Merch sell like crazy, Edited by Jonwo

2014 animation (and puppetry)

January - The Nut Job

February - The Lego Movie, The Wind Rises

March - Mr Peabody & Sherman, Muppets Most Wanted

April - Rio 2

June - HTTYD 2

July - Planes 2

September - The Boxtrolls

October - Book Of Life

November - Big Hero 6, Home

Is that too many? Some are bound to flop. (Obviously The Wind Rises won't be a blockbuster, but what about the rest?)

2014 animation (and puppetry) January - The Nut JobFebruary - The Lego Movie, The Wind RisesMarch - Mr Peabody & Sherman, Muppets Most WantedApril - Rio 2June - HTTYD 2July - Planes 2September - The BoxtrollsOctober - Book Of LifeNovember - Big Hero 6, Home Is that too many? Some are bound to flop. (Obviously The Wind Rises won't be a blockbuster, but what about the rest?)

Boxtrolls and Book of Life are stop motion and stop motion doesn't do big business, the only real successful stop motion films are Nightmare before Christmas and Chicken Run,
  • Like 1

Wasn't Cars 2 and also Planes greenlit due to the mammoth Merch sales? Animation is a good tool for selling toys and many TV shows have been cancelled not because of ratings but simply as the toys didn't sell eg Thundercats I'm sure Scooby Doo and Batman get new cartoons because the toys and Merch sell like crazy,

Ok, yes, but Cars is simply not normal. Merch can be huge...but you can't look at your average animation and think it's like that.

Those Turbo snails sold like crazy this summer ... NOT.

Well, if the movie is completely hopeless, why would anyone be interested in buying the merchandise? But I do think merchandise plays a huge, HUGE role when in comes to greenlighting animation films. Merchandise is the reason almost every animated film has annoying to cute animal sidekicks, to sell those damn Happy Meals. The "Disney Princess" brand is a giant irrespective of the level of success of the actual princess films. Buzz Lightyear and Woody toys and accessories were probably in the list of most popular items for little boys in the last two decades or so. Merchandising drives animation like no other genre. 

Ok, yes, but Cars is simply not normal. Merch can be huge...but you can't look at your average animation and think it's like that.

Yep, Cars is the exception, not the rule.

Not every CGI animation movie becomes a merchandising cash cow.

Can you buy Minions in stores ?

Merchandising drives animation like no other genre. 

I don't know. I think they sell a hell of a lot more Spider-Man and Star Wars and Transformers toys than they do for just about every animated film not named Cars.

The animation genre is driven by home video sales more than any other genre.

• Like 1

Boxtrolls and Book of Life are stop motion and stop motion doesn't do big business, the only real successful stop motion films are Nightmare before Christmas and Chicken Run,

Yeah but look at that schedule. After Planes 2 in mid July, those are the only 2 animated movies listed before November. I wouldn't be surprised if something like Boxtrolls put up some decent numbers for that reason alone.