Mulan (1998)  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Doesn't seem to get the attention it deserves, but right up there in my top 5 Disney favorites.  The voice acting by Ming-Na and BD Wong (he's always awesome) is fantastic with great nuance that really sells their characters.  "Reflection" and "I'll Make a Man Out of You" are great additions to the Disney song library.  Great animation with CGI-assist that's no overbearing.  Quite a risk to try to bring this story to Western audiences and glad it paid off at the box office.

A+

I just watched this and it's so incredibly underrated it hurts me. Considering it came out in '98 and how far animation has come since then (including 2D/hand-drawn), it's got some seriously breathtaking moments and easily stands up to modern CGI animation in the cinematic stakes. Soundtrack is spectacular too. 

Mulan is the smartest of the 90s Disney movies. After a lackluster opening ten minutes, it quickly finds its footing as an stunningly animated war movie that tackles gender and imperialism fascinatingly. It's also really funny, with Mushu being one of Disney's best sidekicks. The slightly tweaked animation style is welcome, and one can easily see the influence Sanders and DeBlois had on the story and character design. A truly wacky sound design also adds a lot of flavor. The music is alright, but serves mostly as a distraction from the more interesting story being told. Mulan might have its issues, but honestly, it's one of the Disney Renaissance's finest achievements, merging the dramatic and comedic elements better than many of their other attempts. Very engaging and very fun. A