baumer

Possible Friday #s from boxoffice.com

How is that answer my question?

I just assumed you sneezed and a bunch of random letters were the outcome.

(Took me like a minute of looking before I finally figured out what movie you were talking about.)

I just assumed you sneezed and a bunch of random letters were the outcome.

(Took me like a minute of looking before I finally figured out what movie you were talking about.)

Sorry for confusing you, but I thought it was all we did here for movies. As some of us are too lazy to write the whole thing down.

The Mojo headlines get weirder every week. This week's effort from Ray

'Ender' Wins Box Office 'Game,' 

Looking forward to "No 'Dark World' at the Box Office as Thor hammers down" and "Box office 'Catches Fire' as Katniss hits the Bullseye" (the second one writes itself)

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

But Ender's game wont make a profit for the studio unless it grosses more than 100m right? so you cant say its doing 'pretty well'. The best it can hope for is 70-80m and that's probably not enough for a sequel. Unless it starts doing gangbusters overseas which is unlikely. Objectively, it's not doing pretty well.....it's just there. 

It's not going to get a sequel because the other books don't lend themselves well to a movie franchise. But let's break down the numbers:

110m - published production budget

44m - foreign pre-sales

56m = remaining outlying production expense

Summit/Odd Lot/Digital Domain basically need to gross around 115-120m WW to break even on their production budget. It looks like EG should get at least 70m domestically, so basically they need 50m overseas to do that. We don't know what foreign territories they pre-sold, or what the terms were, but overall the picture is looking pretty positive for the studio & distributors. 

Edited by Telemachos

It's not going to get a sequel because the other books don't lend themselves well to a movie franchise. But let's break down the numbers:110m - published production budget44m - foreign pre-sales56m = remaining outlying production expenseSummit/Odd Lot/Digital Domain basically need to gross around 115-120m WW to break even on their production budget. It looks like EG should get at least 70m domestically, so basically they need 50m overseas to do that. We don't know what foreign territories they pre-sold, or what the terms were, but overall the picture is looking pretty positive for the studio & distributors.

Have you seen the movie yet?

It's not going to get a sequel because the other books don't lend themselves well to a movie franchise. But let's break down the numbers:

44m - foreign pre-sales

Summit/Odd Lot/Digital Domain basically need to gross around 115-120m WW to break even on their production budget. It looks like EG should get at least 70m domestically, so basically they need 50m overseas to do that. We don't know what foreign territories they pre-sold, or what the terms were, but overall the picture is looking pretty positive for the studio & distributors. 

but if a studio sell the overseas rights, they get nothing from overseas gross, right?  

They would need something like 130-150m (counting marketing) domestic alone to break even 

44m - foreign pre-sales

Olympus Has Fallen will have a sequel called London Has Fallen and the main trio will return. Everything can have a sequel.

The Mojo headlines get weirder every week. This week's effort from Ray

'Ender' Wins Box Office 'Game,' 

Looking forward to "No 'Dark World' at the Box Office as Thor hammers down" and "Box office 'Catches Fire' as Katniss hits the Bullseye" (the second one writes itself)

Lol, how about Thanksgiving's: "Frozen Can't Catch Fire"

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 3

but if a studio sell the overseas rights, they get nothing from overseas gross, right?  

They would need something like 130-150m (counting marketing) domestic alone to break even 

You don't sell the rights to every single territory. You also might not sell off all the gross to a single territory; a lot of times a deal might be structured so -- in return for their money -- the distributor get an increased percentage of the gross until the total gross for that territory hits a certain number, and then the studio starts getting a better percentage.

But we don't know any of these details, and we'll never know unless somehow the contracts are leaked. So, all we know is they sold 44m in foreign pre-sales (but we don't know which territories), and that Summit is the domestic distributor.