baumer

Possible Friday #s from boxoffice.com

Solid hold for 12 Years A Slave. I was thinking that it would fall short of a $10k PTA, but it should be able to cross that mark.

And on a slightly unrelated note, the bottom quote on Shawn's sig reminds me of Monsters University. Heh.

Edited by Gravetti
  • Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Solid hold for 12 Years A Slave. I was thinking that it would fall short of a $10k PTA, but it should be able to cross that mark.

And on a slightly unrelated note, the bottom quote on Shawn's sig reminds me of Monsters University. Heh.

Hah--did they say something similar? I can't recall...

Edited by ShawnMR

Hah--did they say something similar? I can't recall...

It's pretty much what Mike Wasowski goes though. He had always dreamed of being a scarer, and we all know that that's not what eventually happened for him, but his work thoughout the movie didn't go to waste, and he had a successful and fulfilling life as Sulley's sidekick and strategist. 

Relative to other Pixar films, MU is kind of underrated, IMO.

• Like 3

So they were basically able to buy their special effects at cost? Any idea how much this would actually save them? Normally "at cost" means spending half the money, but my understanding is that studios tend to lowball VFX firms horrendously, so the savings could be quite a bit less.Also, what proportion of the budget of a movie like this goes to special effects? I'd assume a pretty big one, but does anyone have any figures?

The profit margins for VFX houses is extremely slim. It's nowhere near half... maybe 5-10%, at most? In terms of EG and Digital Domain, I believe they actually contributed capital as well -- they're exploring a new business model where they actually get a percentage from the gross (as opposed to simply being a vender). In terms of what percentage of the budget goes to VFX, it's really hard to say and probably varies significantly from movie to movie.
  • Like 5

A mixed bag of a weekend it seems. Great holds for BG but only average debuts for the new films though - not what we need for a solid November.

True, but the real box office numbers films start rolling out next week, it'll just matter how well the holdovers (Gravity, Phillips, and Bad Grandpa) do, also if Free Birds and Last Vegas will have decent holds till Thanksgiving.  (I'm counting out Ender's Game just because I can't see it holding well, given that its target audience is also the target audience of Thor next week)

Expected number for Ender's Game.

Free Birds did horrible, i wonder what went wrong there? It's not like the market has  been saturated with animation films for the last two months. Maybe kids still want to see Despicable Me 2......I'm a  little worried about Frozen.

Remember when everyone expected Free Birds to win the weekend?Lol!

Do you have any box office predictions where we can look at and laugh at when you are wrong?

Expected number for Ender's Game.

Free Birds did horrible, i wonder what went wrong there? It's not like the market has  been saturated with animation films for the last two months. Maybe kids still want to see Despicable Me 2......I'm a  little worried about Frozen.

Frozen shouldn't have a problem, Free Birds failing to be a hit with the kids means Frozen will just be even bigger, I would have been worried for Frozen IF Free Birds had been a hit. (Which is what stopped rise of the guardians from doing as well as it could last year, because people were still flocking to Ralph)

So I've seen Ender's Game. It's a pretty good movie, worth a watch. If anyone's interested, but still on the fence, you should check it out. I'm glad it's doing quite well. It is doing okay, right? I haven't looked at the numbers.

So I've seen Ender's Game. It's a pretty good movie, worth a watch. If anyone's interested, but still on the fence, you should check it out. I'm glad it's doing quite well. It is doing okay, right? I haven't looked at the numbers.

No it will likely open poorly . Not enough to make any profit