Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

20 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

That's one of the better trailers of the summer, honestly, and if they had just started out that way, then it would have been instant hype train. Better late than never. It still has a definite sense of adventure and fun, too- it's certainly not grimdark or anything, even if it isn't as silly as the teaser. 

That's what I thought too. Besides the Blitz trailer for Suicide Squad, nothing else has really come close.

1 hour ago, RichWS said:

Despite not being a Trekkie and thinking Darkness was a calamity, I'm rooting for this. 

I still don't get the weird internet reactions to STID. It's well-made, it's funny, it made this grown man cry. But then again, I never saw Wrath of Khan. So everything that it borrowed from that movie was new to me. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I still don't get the weird internet reactions to STID. It's well-made, it's funny, it made this grown man cry. But then again, I never saw Wrath of Khan. So everything that it borrowed from that movie was new to me. 

Wrath of Khan is my favorite ST movie and I like STID except for the part when Kirk sacrifices himself and Spock yells KHAAAAAANNN!!!! 

That was right from WoK except the characters were reversed. It worked a lot better in Wrath than in STID though. Also, Kirk yells Khan more in the middle of the movie instead of the end. 

12 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Wrath of Khan is my favorite ST movie and I like STID except for the part when Kirk sacrifices himself and Spock yells KHAAAAAANNN!!!! 

That was right from WoK except the characters were reversed. It worked a lot better in Wrath than in STID though. Also, Kirk yells Khan more in the middle of the movie instead of the end. 

I'm with you, STID was a good movie but that part at the end was pretty lame and took me right out of the movie.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

See...the sacrifice was my favorite part of the movie. Gave me the feels. 

• Like 1

STID fell largely flat throughout for me. But the "KHHHAAAANNN" moment put the last nail in the coffin of mediocrity.

1. They obviously weren't going to kill Kirk off, so there was no tension there at all.

2. Even though I'm not a Trekkie, that original moment is well known to me through nerd culture, so I thought "I see what you're doing, movie, and it's derivative and lame".

I liked ST09 quite a bit, and this new trailer is really good so I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I understand your confusion if you've never watched Wrath of Khan, but believe me when I say it's not just a case of 'these death scenes are mildly similar'. STID almost word-for-word copies Spock's death in WOK, just with the roles reversed. And it's distracting as all shit. A tragic death is probably the worst place to start throwing in easter eggs, let alone full-on C&Ping one of the most well-known scenes in all of Trekdom.

It's the equivalent of if, in the Force Awakens, when Han and Kylo Ren are on that balcony, they started directly quoting Obi-Wan and Vader from their fight in A New Hope out of nowhere and with no recognition or explanation. Kinda distracts from the mood.

• Like 4

The more the ST reboots ape or riff on the originals, the worse they get. And ST09 went through a bunch of convoluted nonsense just to give themselves free rein to *not* get pigeon-holed in the old universe, so it's extra dumb that they haven't been able to resist (so far).

• Like 4

14 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

I've only seen Khan once so the ripping off didn't bother me all that much, although "Khan!" made me roll my eyes. I just thought it was an all-around mess.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

See...the sacrifice was my favorite part of the movie. Gave me the feels. 

Hey if it worked for you that's cool.

Being a BIG WoK fan it just bugged me the way they straight up re did that whole scene. Plus, I could see it coming a mile away. Still, I enjoyed the movie over all 

• Like 1

The original filmmaker agrees.

Nicholas Meyer on STID: "Well, you have to be flattered that somebody wants to sort of try and make your movie again. But the difference between a rip-off and an homage is that you are supposed to add something."

http://trekmovie.com/2014/10/10/exclusive-nick-meyer-talks-star-trek-ii-directors-blu-ray-reacts-to-into-darkness-death-scene-more/

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichWS said:

Perhaps my biggest beef with Darkness was Kirk's total lack of growth. He was the exact same character we met in the first film. 

The idea is in ST09 he is basically still a student and he saves the world. They give him the biggest and best ship in the fleet so of course he has grown to be an over confidant guy, docuhey guy (like in 09) again.  So yeah its essentially the same arc for him and Spock just intensified.

• Like 1