Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

It's an example of more dumb Millennial PC shit that could've just as easily been accomplished by establishing new characters in the TREK Universe to do this with instead of doing this with already established characters.. Hollywood is simply trying too hard on this PC crap.. 1st Ghostbusters, now Star Trek.. I don't expect people around here to agree with this sentiment, nor do I care, but I hope this movie fails miserably as a result of this...

Don't forget in Dr. strange the PC bullshit with the ancient one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

Could not agree more! making the character White. How stupid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They said they did it because the character as portrayed in the comics was a racial stereotype they didn't want to continue, and since the Ancient One gets reincarnated as different characters they made this one a white woman.  Woman being the diversity part.

I know nothing about the Ancient One and never read a Dr Strange comic; I am just repeating what I read in an article.

On the topic of STB, however, people are saying the Passengers Trailer may be attached to it, which only makes me look forward to the movie more!

Edited by trifle

1 hour ago, trifle said:

They said they did it because the character as portrayed in the comics was a racial stereotype they didn't want to continue, and since the Ancient One gets reincarnated as different characters they made this one a white woman.  Woman being the diversity part.

I know nothing about the Ancient One and never read a Dr Strange comic; I am just repeating what I read in an article.

On the topic of STB, however, people are saying the Passengers Trailer may be attached to it, which only makes me look forward to the movie more!

That's a dumb excuse. They could easily have just written the character well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John Marston said:

That's a dumb excuse. They could easily have just written the character well. 

That occurred to me as well, but maybe they thought changing a known character that much would be worse..... or maybe they came up with the excuse after the fact.... no clue.

Big Trek fan but not super excited for this.  I know I'll see it but not when.

Interestingly, all the Trek fans I know seem way more invested in the TV Series that's in the works, it's most of what I see mentioned.  Whether they like the ideas or not, they're talking about it way more than they are with this movie.  I wonder if the upcoming show is going to hurt or help this (or if it will affect it at all).

20 hours ago, junkshop36 said:

Thats because die hard Trek fans hated STiD so they just don't care anymore. They voted that movie as the worst Trek ever! Worse than ST5! Da FUQ! Lol

I hope it does well enough because I thinking looks really good. 

What a load of crap.  There has never been a scientific poll of US diehard Trek fans and their reactions  to Into darkness.  NEVER.  There was one convention where one part of said convention was polled and they picked it.  But that is in no way shape or form a valid representation off Diehard Star Trek fans feelings.

Go the treks one off the largest message boards for star Trek fans, and out of the 25,000 members only a handful are die hard haters of Into darkness.  Look at the various rankings of the films done over the last three years and rarely is it last, usually ranks 5th or higher.  

Typically threads that come out asking about how bad Into Darkness is, get overwhelming responses saying that opinion isn't very common in the broader community.  Sure there are those that do hate it, and some of them go on and on and on about it, but in my 43 active years of remembering Trek (watched it since 68, but don't actually have memories of it until 720, haters and there have been haters of various Treks starting with season 3 of TOS, to those who hated TNG, to hated DS9, to hating Voyager, to hating Ent, to hating and film, for change in film regime. Those people tend to be loud and get their opinions out there, but they never really seem to be representative of what fans think.

It reminds me of when Trek 2009 aired, it started at 7pm, and a large group of local trekkers, trekkies got together and we were asked by our local NBC affiliate if we would stick around for an interview about the film.  We did an interview as a group and then broke into smaller groups for more details.  Well, the general thoughts were that the film was exceedingly enjoyable even if it had a few flaws.  Know what made the news, the 2 people who were utterly negative about the film and thought it betrayed Trek's legacy. 2 out of over 40 people, and those two were the only two used in the interview.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Newbie said:

What a load of crap.  There has never been a scientific poll of US diehard Trek fans and their reactions  to Into darkness.  NEVER.  There was one convention where one part of said convention was polled and they picked it.  But that is in no way shape or form a valid representation off Diehard Star Trek fans feelings.

Go the treks one off the largest message boards for star Trek fans, and out of the 25,000 members only a handful are die hard haters of Into darkness.  Look at the various rankings of the films done over the last three years and rarely is it last, usually ranks 5th or higher.  

Typically threads that come out asking about how bad Into Darkness is, get overwhelming responses saying that opinion isn't very common in the broader community.  Sure there are those that do hate it, and some of them go on and on and on about it, but in my 43 active years of remembering Trek (watched it since 68, but don't actually have memories of it until 720, haters and there have been haters of various Treks starting with season 3 of TOS, to those who hated TNG, to hated DS9, to hating Voyager, to hating Ent, to hating and film, for change in film regime. Those people tend to be loud and get their opinions out there, but they never really seem to be representative of what fans think.

It reminds me of when Trek 2009 aired, it started at 7pm, and a large group of local trekkers, trekkies got together and we were asked by our local NBC affiliate if we would stick around for an interview about the film.  We did an interview as a group and then broke into smaller groups for more details.  Well, the general thoughts were that the film was exceedingly enjoyable even if it had a few flaws.  Know what made the news, the 2 people who were utterly negative about the film and thought it betrayed Trek's legacy. 2 out of over 40 people, and those two were the only two used in the interview.

...wait wait wait, are you saying Enterprise and Voyager are good?

:P 

38 minutes ago, Sal said:

Big Trek fan but not super excited for this.  I know I'll see it but not when.

Interestingly, all the Trek fans I know seem way more invested in the TV Series that's in the works, it's most of what I see mentioned.  Whether they like the ideas or not, they're talking about it way more than they are with this movie.  I wonder if the upcoming show is going to hurt or help this (or if it will affect it at all).

I am very excited about this film, but way, way more excited for the tv series, for the simple point that Trek for myself has always been more suited to television then the movies.  I will gladly take the best episodes of any Star Trek series (outside of the animated, which I hated even as a youngster), and place it against the best Trek film and have no problem finding the best episodes of any live action series is stronger material.  and sure you get bad episode off TV, but here's the think you get a Final Frontier or a Nemesis and you wait years for the possibility off a good film.  With TV you get a terrible episode like And the Children Shall Lead, and hell you might only have to wait a few weeks to get a gem of an episode.

With a TV series, even a short season series, you have the opportunity for much more in depth plot and character development.  and while Film might get better polish you can get a hell of a lot of production bang on television budget then what you could for a film.  I mean look at DS9 and the large scale war scenes done in the 6th and 7th season.  Even the films with budgets near 200 million have never been able to show cause such long form fx., and god, lets not even start on what type of dramatic storytelling and character development you can achieve on tv versus film.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Newbie said:

I am very excited about this film, but way, way more excited for the tv series, for the simple point that Trek for myself has always been more suited to television then the movies.  I will gladly take the best episodes of any Star Trek series (outside of the animated, which I hated even as a youngster), and place it against the best Trek film and have no problem finding the best episodes of any live action series is stronger material.  and sure you get bad episode off TV, but here's the think you get a Final Frontier or a Nemesis and you wait years for the possibility off a good film.  With TV you get a terrible episode like And the Children Shall Lead, and hell you might only have to wait a few weeks to get a gem of an episode.

With a TV series, even a short season series, you have the opportunity for much more in depth plot and character development.  and while Film might get better polish you can get a hell of a lot of production bang on television budget then what you could for a film.  I mean look at DS9 and the large scale war scenes done in the 6th and 7th season.  Even the films with budgets near 200 million have never been able to show cause such long form fx., and god, lets not even start on what type of dramatic storytelling and character development you can achieve on tv versus film.

Trek is very well suited to TV, just generally speaking. I think it's been long enough that a lot of fans are really missing that format.  A 2 hour movie every 3-4 is vastly different than 20 hour long episodes a year.

DS9 was a great series when it came to taking advantage of the episodes to tell a longer story, especially given that it wasn't so common at that time.  Even some of the early Trek movies capitalized on the continuing format (Wrath of Khan, Search for Spock, and The Journey Home all did) and were considered to be some of the stronger efforts.

Edited by Sal

I feel bad for Benedict Cumberbatch, Khan was suppose to be his big break but turned out to be such a lame character. His next try will be a stupid comic book character.

Cucumber will always been Sherlock Holmes to me!

Edited by Mojoguy

1 minute ago, Mojoguy said:

I feel bad for Benedict Cumberbatch, Khan was suppose to be his big break but turned out to be such a lame character. His next try will be a stupid comic book character.

Cucumber will always been Sherlock Holmes to me!

Seriously, that character wasn't bad...but it SO did not need to be Khan.  It wasn't Khan.  That was dumb.  The movie was still fun though.  But seriously, I like my Indian villains Hispanic, thank you very much.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, FilmBuff said:

I actually liked the character BC played, and he was the best part of the movie for me. It was certainly a good movie, but could've been so much better!! This one looks lame.

Thats what's annoying, it was a good villain!  But it was not Khan.  That did not work.  Well, neither did magic blood.  I honestly let out a hearty laugh when Spock screamed Khan.  Ha, no.  No.  Still, solid flick.  But that, no.

• Like 6