Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

• Community Manager
5 minutes ago, Sam said:

I don't know much about Star Trek, but isn't it mostly about exploring stuff, which this one seems to be about? I question the choice of music in the trailer but I think the footage shown look really promising, hoping for a fun adventure.

Would be nice to see other members of the crew beside the three dudes having more things to do though. 

Exploring stuff is a part of it (at least in the TOS, TNG mostly gave up on that, DS9 almost eliminates it, VOY returns to it by necessity) but Star Trek has always been the thinking man's science fiction in that it'll try to create interesting scenarios and then have the characters think their way out of there. Yes, there were action scenes but the focus (even with Kirk) was always on philosophy and thinking.

How the original cast beat Khan:

Notice how they didn't beat him to submission. They simply outsmarted/outmanuevered him.

In Into Darkness, Spock just punched Khan really hard.

20 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

If it's one story that has a more climactic resolution instead of multiple stories crammed into one that don't, then it's a start in being better than STID.

You do realize I gave STID an A-, right? And I stand by that grade. I've rewatch that movie almost every time I fly.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

Good reviews *at the time*. Pretty good but hardly noteworthy legs. Criticisms sank in deeper as time went on. Ones which the filmmakers acknowledged.

It had an over 3x multiplier which is great for a sequel in the Summer & it was one of the best multipliers that Summer. 

• Community Manager
Just now, Jay Beezy said:

Hey, don't let me stop you from condoning incomplete storytelling. ;)

The storytelling is complete. It doesn't have the most logical story, sure, but it's entertaining as heck, has great action sequences, and it does have some pretty good arcs/moments from the characters. But it does tell a complete story. You don't have to like it but there is a beginning (Khan attacks the Federation), a middle (Khan gets captured, Kirk finds out the truth, the Vengeance attacks, they infiltrate the Vengeance with Khan), and an end (Khan betrays them, the Enterprise is damaged, Kirk saves the Enterprise by sacrificing his life, Spock goes after Khan and beats him to submission, takes Khan's blood which was previously established as having miracle healing properties, and uses it to save Kirk).

Incomplete storytelling would imply there's no Act Three or the end of Act Three (which is Kirk is made captain again and they get the five-year mission). Nice try.

• Like 5