CJohn

Escape Plan

http://www.boxoffice.com/china/2013-11-11-thor-the-dark-world-boasts-196m-bow

The big debut presented a threat to the release of Escape Planin the market, but the action vehicle was able to receive a Monday release date and earn $13 million from Monday-Thursday before Marvel's latest hit Chinese theaters. Escape Plan is currently up to $22.8 million in China, which is very close to the $23.2 million haul in North America. 

Lionsgate gave up most of overseas media rights to foreign distributors so I don't think they care much about reporting exact overseas numbers. On the flip side, thanks to huge presales the movie was profitable or close to being profitable for Lionsgate even before they sold a single ticket domestically.

The third movie to surpass North America this year after Pacific Rim and Jurassic 3D 

Well, if you are going to list all the non-Chinese movies, it will include:

Cloud Atlas

Upside Down

PR

JP3D

Escape Plan

And a few other European and Korean films including Starlingrad, Fly Me to the Moon, etc.

Well, if you are going to list all the non-Chinese movies, it will include:

Cloud Atlas

Upside Down

PR

JP3D

Escape Plan

And a few other European and Korean films including Starlingrad, Fly Me to the Moon, etc.

You sure about that ...so called war drama ? :D   I just heard from the post next door that it passed 50m$ in Russia

It's up to $103m worldwide. I see a $150m total, which is excellent for a movie that a) cost only $50m and b ) stars two actors that people regularly write off and that starred in two bombs at the start of the year.

It's looking up for Grudge Match, which I predict to be a holiday sensation (in the US, at least). It's harder to gauge whether it will do well overseas because its theme, boxing, doesn't necesarily translate that well overseas unless the title features 'Rocky' in it. I'm hoping its comedy will be the glue that attracts people from all cultures. I am sure it will also get a release in China too, so that should help things along. I am thinking of a worldwide total around $200m.

Edited by Algren™