grim22

Weekend Estimates: Thor TDW 86.1M, Ender 10.25, Free Birds 11.2, Grav 8.4, BG 11.3, Last Vegas 11.1

It's been quite front loaded here in the Uk, by Tuesday, a film called Philomena (Judi Dench) was only 50k behind it despite opening around 4m less at the weekend.Ok start for Thor. Didn't expect a huge uptick, I went to see first in cinemas, didn't mind it but wouldn't go back for sequel. Will see on DVD.

Exactly my sentiments. Thor was cool but honestly not really interested in the sequel. I'll gladly wait for DVD.

Avengers effect looks more and more like it only works on the OS audiences.

Well, OS reviewers did enjoy TDW a lot more than American critics as well.

Watched this a few hours back and have to say it was really, REALLY fun! Hoping for an insane Saturday bump so that 95-100M is still possible. It deserves it.

• Like 1

So wheres the Avengers effect? or is that only relevant for Iron Man?

Fishnets rants about Loki pulling business etc. Seems a fantasy now. 

Anyhow, i really liked the movie so i'm kinda crushed to be honest, Wanted it to do big business. I'm sure it will have good legs though

It will do it`s 550-600-620 mil which is a success. But definitely not so big to be overwhelmed with. Loki/TH thing is just like Benedict Cumberbatch - the fans and reviews may go crazy about him-but it really is nothing to GA and so boxoffice.

• Like 3

It will do it`s 550-600-620 mil which is a success. But definitely not so big to be overwhelmed with. Loki/TH thing is just like Benedict Cumberbatch - the fans and reviews may go crazy about him-but it really is nothing to GA and so boxoffice.

This "underperformance" is nowhere on the same levels as Into Darkness. So I think Loki/Hiddlesworth has a lot more pull than BC. I still think the American reviews affected the opening a bit. GA was probably once bitten, twice shy after ignoring the rotten reviews for MoS only to see that that movie was indeed crap. Hopefully the strong, early WOM TDW is generating makes for healthy Saturday and Sunday boosts. 

A little bit better but that doesn't say much. Natalie had more chem with her group and thor had more chem with asgardians

True. Natalie was awesome with Bridesmaids dude/Darcy/Selvig/Brit Intern while Hemsworth was awesome with all the Asgardians. But put together, they were meh. I think the makers realized this and hence had very little Thor/Jane romance in this.

True. Natalie was awesome with Bridesmaids dude/Darcy/Selvig/Brit Intern while Hemsworth was awesome with all the Asgardians. But put together, they were meh. I think the makers realized this and hence had very little Thor/Jane romance in this.

There were tons of Thor/Jane cut from this movie (many scenes in trailers that are not it, for example it should have ended with him in human garment on kissing her with the London in background-scene were redone and moved to after-after credit scene) and I think you spot on on a reasoning.

• Like 2

If Cap 2 has a small increase despite having a few Avenger-costars then we can do away with he phrase "Avenger effect".For now it should be retitled "the RDJ and 3D effect".

I hope this is true for 2 reasons:

1. I'm the Anti-CBM Crusader!

2. I previously said that the so-called "Avengers effect" mostly pertained to Iron Man and Downey, and I was chastised for merely suggesting that.

• Like 1

You know, Thor is just a little more relatable than the Hulk. Cap is way more relatable, even if he is out of his time. Thor's a lot like Aragorn in LOTR, but here's the difference: Aragorn was more relatable since he was probably the most consistently human of all the characters. The most human male character in Thor is a crazy scientist or an intern or one could say it could maybe even be Loki, but it most certainly is not Thor. I like my Thor like that, but that doesn't make him likable to a general audience beyond his muscles and kickassery.

• Like 4