Dementeleus

All is Lost (2013)

All is Lost (2013)  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Looks like I'm on the S.S Oscar for Redford. This is one of the best survivor movies I've ever seen. And considering how difficult it must be to shoot on a flooding boat, it's astounding on all technical fronts. 

Two additions to my Top 10 (this and Llewyn Davis) within 24 hours!

• Like 5

I'm with everyone else on this one. Terrific movie, had me engaged all the way through, and Redford rocked it. Although this is noticeably different from Gravity in more than a couple of ways, I thought it was notable that both films are ultimately about rebirth that can only happen after everything the protagonist uses to temporarily survive is destroyed either by him/her or by forces of nature. 

• Like 2

Without CGfest, this totally blows Gravity out of water. Gently crafted, no deliberate sensations. Gravity is so industrial ...and cliche ... in storytelling and character setting. One of the most overrated movies in 2013 and wont hold well with time.

This should win best script and best actor while Gravity can go for VFX (mostly 3D) IMO.

Edited by firedeep
  • Like 1

this movie 

Posted Image Posted Image

JC, Zach & Benaroya pics  didnt disappoint me after 'Margin Call'

& after this Academy snubs Redford (more hysterically crying gifs to come Posted Image)

& emotionally this >>>>>> Gravity hands down 

I like Gravity & all but its waaaay more mainstream & cliche (esp manipulative storyline abt her lost child )

This felt so genuine  

Edited by Tauriel
  • Like 2

Let's be real here, at times this film is quite a bore to sit through.  In fact, you could say there are moments in which the film is simply boring as fuck.

And yet, this remains a damn good survival film.  This is the type of movie that thrives off the sounds, facial expressions, and camera shots.  The sounds are loud and immersive, the facial expressions are intense, and the camera shots are epic.  The three work together to create the all-encompassing atmosphere the film needs to succeed.

Of course, Robert Redford is great here, able to convey more than enough emotion without having to say a word.  In a way, whether you like this film or not turns on the fact on whether you are down to immerse yourself with Redford in this world and go along for the ride.  I resisted for the first half hour, but quicky gave in thereafter.

Damn good survival flick.

Shit this movie was great. Just so emotionally impactful. Most of it has already been said, but here's what really hits me: not only was it a brilliant allegory revolving around the edge of mortality for an older adult like Redford, it made me, at 21 years old, think differently about my own mortality and the fleeting nature of life. Really hit hard. Good movie, man.

• Like 2

What a great movie, you feel Redford's desperation and frustration. That shot of his boat/home sinking is heartbreaking. The storm scenes were a bit too long though.

Tied with Her and Philomena for the second best Oscar nominee of 2014. +85/100
Edited by Goffe