Punishment

Weekend Actuals 11/15-11/17 TTDW $36.6m TBMH $30.1m

I got it from the numbers.com.  They have the all time blu ray sales chart here. That's just for blu rays. They don't have an all time DVD chart. They do have it by year. You have to search each movie individually and it will give you their total.  Don't look for anything recently released on home video because they are months behind.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

Thanks! Great website! :)

I got it from the numbers.com.  They have the all time blu ray sales chart here. That's just for blu rays. They don't have an all time DVD chart. They do have it by year. You have to search each movie individually and it will give you their total.  Don't look for anything recently released on home video because they are months behind.

http://www.the-numbers.com/alltime-bluray-sales-chart

From the charts, it looks like Cap was priced higher than Thor. The actual units sold are pretty close

28 Captain America: The First Avenger 1,954,205 $56,073,430 Oct 25, 2011

32 Thor 1,720,772 $38,785,740 Sep 13, 2011

I think some of the extra sales can be explained by the special features, namely

Among the special features will be a new Marvel One-Shot Short film starring Clark Gregg and a behind-the-scenes featurette for Joss Whedon’s The Avengers.

Edited by grim22

From the charts, it looks like Cap was priced higher than Thor. The actual units sold are pretty close

I think some of the extra sales can be explained by the special features, namely

Thanks for digging into that. I couldn't for the life of me figure it out. I didn't even look at the units sold. You're right there's not much difference.

The 3D share is a good point. If you subtract out 3D prices and look at actual number of tickets sold, than ThorTDW increased quite a bit more from the first Thor than a quick glance at the numbers would seem to indicate.

Why would CA be priced higher? Also they both had special features with a short movie featuring Agent Coulsen.

Why would CA be priced higher? Also they both had special features with a short movie featuring Agent Coulsen.

I don't know why. But the average for the Cap Blu-Ray is roughly 29$ and for the Thor one is 22$. No idea why the 7$ difference. Maybe more people bought it discounted on Amazon, or as part of a bundle or something. No idea, but a 18 million $ difference from 200,000 copies is stunning.

Thor had a short movie, but Cap had the first proper footage from Avengers. I can see completists getting the Cap DVD just to own the first footage.

Top theatres engagement  wkend 15-17/111-Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 18, Atlanta GA  209k(TBMH)2-Ker Showplace Icon ,Chicago IL   195k(TBMH)3-CM  Egyptian 24, Hanover MD   183k(TBMH)4-AMC Southlake Pavilion 24, Morrow GA 159k(TBMH)5-AMC Hoffman 22, Alexandria VA     146k(TBMH)6-AMC country Club Hills 16, Country Club Hills IL 139k(TBMH)7-Regal Court Street Stadium 12, Brooklyn NY 138k(TBMH)8-AMC White Marsh 16, Baltimore MD     138k(TBMH)9-Regal E-walk 13, New York City NY       134k(TBMH)10-Malco Paradiso 16, Memphis TN       125k(TBMH)11-AMC Stonecrest Mall 16, Lithonia GA 125k(TBMH)12-AMC Magic Johnson Capitol 12, Largo MD   118k(TBMH)13-Regal Majestic Stadium 20 , Silver Springs MD (TBMH)14-AMC Crestwood 18, Crestwood IL   (TBMH)15-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY     (Thor2)16-AMC 34st 14, New York City NY         (TBMH)17-AMC Cherry Hill 24, Cherry Hill NJ   (TBMH)18-NA Linden Boulevard 14, Brooklyn NY     (TBMH)19-Regal Potamac Yards 16, Alexandria VA     (TBMH)20-AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9, Harlem NY (TBMH)Top Canada1-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook 16, Calgary AB (Thor2), 2-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto ON(Thor2), 3-CPLX Colossus 18, Woodbridge ON (Thor2)

Edited by Rth
  • Like 6

I said for the longest time $200m will happen and it would likely be around $225m. That is clearly in danger if not gone but as a Marvel fanboy never went to that camp of $300m. I think I may have alluded to that if, IF it did open and hold exceptionally well I wouldn't rule out $250m but never backed that. 

Thor Dark World did get an Avengers bump, a good one,  the problem with those people screaming for $300m spent too much time on Tumblr being influenced by a minority of people as if they were all encompassing of what the Loki fandom was like or it's size. 

I think that TASM2 crowd is also in for a rude awakening. 

• Like 3

You're welcome. It would be even better if they were up to date with the recent releases. They fell way behind a year or two ago and haven't been able to recover.

It's no surprise that Avatar and the Avengers are the top two selling Blurays, but I'm surprised Star Trek is number 3 on the all time list. I wonder why STID didn't make more money in America when the first movie sold so well? :huh:

Top theatres engagement  wkend 15-17/111-Regal Atlantic Station Stadium 18, Atlanta GA  209k(TBMH)2-Ker Showplace Icon ,Chicago IL   195k(TBMH)3-CM  Egyptian 24, Hanover MD   183k(TBMH)4-AMC Southlake Pavilion 24, Morrow GA 159k(TBMH)5-AMC Hoffman 22, Alexandria VA     146k(TBMH)6-AMC country Club Hills 16, Country Club Hills IL 139k(TBMH)7-Regal Court Street Stadium 12, Brooklyn NY 138k(TBMH)8-AMC White Marsh 16, Baltimore MD     138k(TBMH)9-Regal E-walk 13, New York City NY       134k(TBMH)10-Malco Paradiso 16, Memphis TN       125k(TBMH)11-AMC Stonecrest Mall 16, Lithonia GA 125k(TBMH)12-AMC Magic Johnson Capitol 12, Largo MD   118k(TBMH)13-Regal Majestic Stadium 20 , Silver Springs MD (TBMH)14-AMC Crestwood 18, Crestwood IL   (TBMH)15-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY     (Thor2)16-AMC 34st 14, New York City NY         (TBMH)17-AMC Cherry Hill 24, Cherry Hill NJ   (TBMH)18-NA Linden Boulevard 14, Brooklyn NY     (TBMH)19-Regal Potamac Yards 16, Alexandria VA     (TBMH)20-AMC Magic Johnson Harlem 9, Harlem NY (TBMH)Top Canada1-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook 16, Calgary AB (Thor2), 2-CPLX Scotiabank Toronto ON(Thor2), 3-CPLX Colossus 18, Woodbridge ON (Thor2)

Damn TBMH owned this weekend. All east coast, South and midwest. No California.

Edited by ECSTASY

Interesting article on the box-office reporting this year of Best Man Holiday and other movies with primarily black casts: 

What has the capacity to be "over" or "under" is the prognosticating. It's like being a weather forecaster and claiming that if you say it wasn't going to rain and it does, there was "overprecipitation." The forecast is designed to match the weather, after all, not the other way around. If the forecast is wrong, reasonably consistently, in the same direction — not every single time, but to the point where you notice — you don't have to blame yourself, but it's worth asking where you're getting your guesses.

The real story out of this film, and Think Like A Man (which also "overperformed"), and The Butler, and so forth, could just as easily be framed as, "Analysts once again underestimate the box-office appeal of a movie about black people." Maybe it's a coincidence and maybe it isn't, but framing the film's performance as the outlier doesn't get at whether there's something about tracking and prediction and audience analysis that's missing something.

Nothing appeals to everybody; how broad does an audience have to be before it's just "an audience"? Granted, the audience was reported to be 87 percent black, but how white do you think the Safe Haven audience was? Pretty white, I'm guessing, though it's not the kind of number you see reported very often, since if movies starring attractive white people make good money, it doesn't seem to contribute to the same questioning of whether it really "counts."

There's already so much weird language surrounding movies about anything other than tank-topped white dudes (USA Today this weekend by calling Best Man Holiday "race-themed," which ... why, exactly?) that it might be smart to, when comparing a film to "expectations," make sure we've at least pondered where those expectations came from and what they were based on.

• Like 1

Does anyone else think that 12YAS peaked too early at the box office. It seemed to come in with a lot of momentum a couple of weeks ago, but never got the major bump or WOM that was being projected for it

It didn't even have much momentum to begin with.  Every weekend has been unspectacular and kind of disappointing.

^^ Not specifically a response to that article, but...

@s_oldham

Hey @defamer, enough with the race-baiting vitriol. We use "over-performing" on EVERY box office surprise. BMH was tracking in the teens.

11/18/13, 3:48 PM

But it's not an isolated thing for there to be major "surprise" in box office circles, that a movie with a cast that isn't primarily white manages to open strongly. Especially when it's not a Tyler Perry movie. It's always something that regulars on a box office board have little awareness of, because it's just not on their radar, so they ignore all the other signs, outside of tracking, of how big it could be. There's also the annual "OMG, women go to movies!" "surprise" that's just as annoying, as if women aren't half the population and every year doesn't have movies headlined by female stars that make a nice amount of money. Funny how Hollywood and box office watchers get amnesia that way. It makes you wonder just who is being tracked in the tracking and why it misses so badly at times.

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 3

Get in line, AA, my intrepid but misguided nemesis from the old BOM haunts.As a peace offering to you, I am willing to bid, in your honor, on Andrew Gafield's autographed AARP card when he puts up for charity auction to promote that film he's in next May. Of course, I may opt to bid for a charity dinner with him instead because it should be cheaper given the senior discount he receives due to his advanced age.

Well, with you around, at least I won't look so "Architect-ish", as I have been accused of by a certain Canadian mod around here. :P

I said for the longest time $200m will happen and it would likely be around $225m. That is clearly in danger if not gone but as a Marvel fanboy never went to that camp of $300m. I think I may have alluded to that if, IF it did open and hold exceptionally well I wouldn't rule out $250m but never backed that. 

Thor Dark World did get an Avengers bump, a good one,  the problem with those people screaming for $300m spent too much time on Tumblr being influenced by a minority of people as if they were all encompassing of what the Loki fandom was like or it's size. 

I think that TASM2 crowd is also in for a rude awakening. 

I think that while you're quite level headed when it comes to Marvel Studios films. Yet I think you are rational enough to understand you too have a bias for the X-Men films, as much as me or the other TASM2  fanboys around here. Dark World's jump is a shame because the film simply deserved to make more. I don't want to pull the trigger just yet, but I think the critics are showing hints of a superhero films fatigue right now. Thor: The Dark World was easily better than Thor and arguably one of the best Marvel Studios films yet, albeit not as much innovative and outside the box as IM3. It deserved to make more, it didn't.

I don't see how people predicting good numbers for TASM2 are more into a rude awakening than those claiming that DoFP will be able to single handly reignite the X-Men's popularity within the GA, especially when that popularity wasn't never that big to begin with. My point is: I can see TASM2 getting bigger because it's Spider-Man, and it's hard to fuck up with the concept of Spider-Man, especially when there're talented and passionated people involved in the project - you liking their take or not.

I love Raimi and Singer for what they did for the genre, but it's the same way that I love Tim Burton and Michael Keaton, they shouldn't be around making superhero films anymore. God knows that I want a good X-Men film next year. I simply don't see it myself getting fully satisfied until there's another take on them. And I'm not even talking about going to Marvel Studios. I'm talking about an honest to God reboot that would clean up the whole mess and start fresh again. Hopefully DoFP will be that, but I'm not holding my breath.

TASM2 $350-$400m

CA: TWS $300-350m

DoFP $250m-$300m

GotG $200m-$250m

Edited by Winter Soldier

TASM2 $350-$400m

CA: TWS $300-350m

DoFP $250m-$300m

GotG $200m-$250m

TASM:  300M possibility.  Just not seeing the fanbase the Raimi films had

CA:  250M, at best.

DoFP:  Love the X-Men, but I would go 200M, maybe 225M.  Wolverine's performance this year was surprisingly lackluster

GoTG:  Wildcard.  Could reach 200M+ or gross no more than Watchmen.