grim22

Monday Numbers 11/18/2013: BMH 2.4M, Thor TDW 2.2M

The tweet in question:

Posted Image

I agree that it could be worded differently. He should have made it clearer by saying "targeting the same audience" or something.

Yeah, the issue with this tweet is that he said "Overkill." There's a reason they do well; compare these three movies to the about twenty coming out starring white people. <_<

• Like 2

I think Black Nativity has a bigger chance to underperform than Madea, which got a great reaction at BMH and should do, at the very least, pretty damn solid. Black Nativity looks a bit too cheesy and overt for alot of tastes (dude behind me at BMH said "Man, that shit looks corny as fuck," and I can't disagree).

• Like 2

People blowing his tweet out of proportion.  Typical.  People looking for something to be racist where there is nothing racist about what he said.  

• Like 5

Hollywood should cater to black audiences more, not less.They are one of the strongest demographic for watching movies.I find Ray's tweet more uninformed than racist.It's not like he was suggesting blacks don't deserve movies geared toward them. He is just underestimating the reach of that audience.

BMH had the biggest opening for a Christmas movie since Four Christmases in 2008.So evidently black Christmas movies might be a strong formula for success.The real question is what clued the studios in to the point where 3 black Christmas movies are released in the same season.

Hispanics are really underserved too, arguably even more than African-Americans.

I think recently the Fast and Furious franchise became geared toward Latinos and it paid off big.But comedy/dramas geared toward Latinos haven't experienced the level of success as black comedy/dramas.

I have conflicting feelings about TDW. Each individual scene is well done and highly enjoyable as an individual scene, they just don't gel together to tell the story in a satisfying way.

The one hope I see for Thor's legs is if Catching Fire turns out to be too intense for back-to-back repeat viewings, and the hordes of the Hunger Games take a break with something lighter before going back to see Katniss again. Seems like Team Gale at least would appreciate a Hemsworth Brothers double feature ...

The tweet in question:

Posted Image

I agree that it could be worded differently. He should have made it clearer by saying "targeting the same audience" or something.

I see nothing wrong with the wording. People need to freakin' lighten up. Everyone's got a chip on their shoulder these days, just waiting for someone to slip up. They are exacerbating the problem, not helping it.

• Like 3

Subers is not racist but he's careless and a little obnoxious. I miss Brandon Gray, I wonder where he is right now

I'm not a fan of Ray's, but he's sure not a racist. When there are so many other more pressing problems facing minorities, this is what gets attention? A benign comment that could have been slightly more "P.C."? What a bunch of crap.

As far as Brandon, I always hope he's on a beach somewhere sipping mai tais. ;)

• Like 1

I have conflicting feelings about TDW. Each individual scene is well done and highly enjoyable as an individual scene, they just don't gel together to tell the story in a satisfying way.

The one hope I see for Thor's legs is if Catching Fire turns out to be too intense for back-to-back repeat viewings, and the hordes of the Hunger Games take a break with something lighter before going back to see Katniss again. Seems like Team Gale at least would appreciate a Hemsworth Brothers double feature ...

I could have sworn I've read this post somewhere before.

I think recently the Fast and Furious franchise became geared toward Latinos and it paid off big.

But comedy/dramas geared toward Latinos haven't experienced the level of success as black comedy/dramas.

Part of the issue is that those are an insane rarity. The huge success of INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED shows what can happen when you actually have a Hispanic or Latino-centric story and characters.

• Like 3

Part of the issue is that those are an insane rarity. The huge success of INSTRUCTIONS NOT INCLUDED shows what can happen when you actually have a Hispanic or Latino-centric story and characters.

I was gonna say that.

• Like 1