Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

OMG! I've been duped!!!

Per Wiki,

In September 2012, both theaters removed their 15/70 Film projectors and replaced them with digital projectors.[3]

Posted Image

:lol:

You made me go check my preferred IMAX. Thankfully, while they do now support and use digital projection, they still have 15/70 projectors and will use them accordingly if they can get the prints.

• Like 1

Henry Ford IMAX:

the experience
Our IMAX motion picture projection system, invented and developed by Imax Corporation, is the finest motion picture projection system in the world. Images of unsurpassed size, clarity, and impact, enhanced by a superb specially-designed six-channel, multi-speaker sound system, are projected onto our giant rectangular screen which is eight stories wide (84 feet) and six stories tall (62 feet).

http://gizmodo.com/5273201/the-seven-imax-wonders-of-the-world

The Seven IMAX Wonders of the World (2010)

1. Cinesphere - Toronto, Canada2. L'Hemisferic - Valencia, Spain3. Darling Harbour - Sydney, Australia4. Futuroscope - Poitiers, France5. The Golden Snail - Jakarta, Indonesia6. Science Museum of Minnesota - Saint Paul, USA7. Prasads IMAX - Hyderabad, India 

Edited by grim22
  • Like 1

In terms of the screen shape, it should look more square than widescreen and it should really fucking tall (60 feet tall or taller). Anything less than this in widescreen is a LieMAX screen. There are some nice sized LieMAX screens out there (40 feet tall or so) but they still aren't tall enough and have the wrong aspect ratio to display IMAX film footage.A bunch of the real IMAX screens, such as Edwards Marquee in Houston, have been recently switched from IMAX film projection to IMAX digital projection. The IMAX digital projectors cannot project at true IMAX aspect ratio, so on the real IMAX screens you end up with black bars even for supposed IMAX footage.Not only is the aspect ratio wrong for IMAX digital projection, but the image quality is not up to snuff. They use two 2k digital projectors, the equivalent of a poor man's 4k projector. IMAX film projectors can theoretically handle projection at 10k or higher. When you're dealing with actual IMAX footage, makes a big difference whether you project it at ghetto 4k (two 2k projectors) or 8-10k from a single projector.

I know there is or was real IMAX at the Zoo but it sucks. There was a theater built and it was built for real IMAX but it never opened with an Iax. The theater went out of business but now it reopened and know it is IMAX. But I am guessing it is digital.

Secondly, all the IMAX theaters in SoCal had their IMAX shows starting at 11pm or later. The few that had an 8pm show did it as an additional screening. The bulk of the sellouts for the southern California area came for earlier showtimes (makes sense). Again, why on earth wouldn't you have all your IMAX shows start at 8pm, and then add an additional show as needed. You'd probably have sold out more IMAX screens -- which means more money for everyone.

The vast majority of IMAX screenings had 5pm double features, which is why so many started at 11 PM. And that probably also explains Nikki's tweet about them being up 78% compared to the first.

• Like 1

The vast majority of IMAX screenings had 5pm double features, which is why so many started at 11 PM. And that probably also explains Nikki's tweet about them being up 78% compared to the first.

Ah, that's true. And to think, I even split those out in my spreadsheet. Still, none of them sold out.... which goes back to my original point about Lionsgate and marketing IMAX.